Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rock Sliders with steps

Old 08-31-2009, 12:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put the MBRP one's on...
Old 09-02-2009, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fadeout
I just put the MBRP one's on...
Holy Crap that Jeep is shiney ................

Anthony
Old 10-15-2009, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Small wife and kids

I am glad I found this thread, my wife is also quite short 5' and two small kids have all been asking for an easier way to get into the stock Rubicon. While I really like the Hansons, Teraflex (weight) and Pure Jeep. I am leaning now towards the MBRP and Rampage.

For MBRP Tech 1 -- What are the weights (rough guess is fine) on yours and how low would those steps hang on a stock Rubicon. Any deals on buying multiple items, I like your front full length bumper also (weight for that, too)

For Hoovis (or other rampagers) I've bought a few items from them and was not pleased with the quality or instructions. From your posts this might be different. Any idea on a weight from hoisting it up. And how low does it go. Also does it retract after entering the vehicle or do you have to run around and stow them. Finally, does it look like the hinge mechanism will be pushed into the body/doors of the jeep if hitting a rock.

Thanks
DD
Old 10-15-2009, 04:28 PM
JK Jedi Master

If your jeeps lifted any kinda step is not going to help. You have to start jumping over them at a certain point.

you should look at a set of cowboy stirrups that hook inside the jeep
Old 10-15-2009, 04:37 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by toad
You'll break your neck on those things. I use my rail as my step. You just need something that sticks out far enough that can help you get in. I'm 5'2"
friends wife uses them all the time, she uses the grab handle too...

she's shorter than you

he's running a 6" Fulltraction long arm on 40's
Old 10-15-2009, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmugboy
For Hoovis (or other rampagers) I've bought a few items from them and was not pleased with the quality or instructions. From your posts this might be different. Any idea on a weight from hoisting it up. And how low does it go. Also does it retract after entering the vehicle or do you have to run around and stow them. Finally, does it look like the hinge mechanism will be pushed into the body/doors of the jeep if hitting a rock.

Thanks
DD
DD, I agree that some of Rampage's other products are less than ideal. But I am very pleased with their retractable rockers. The quality is very good, IMO, and they mount extremely solid.

Not sure I understand your question, "what is the weight hoisting it up?" If you just are asking how much they weigh, I think they are about 25 to 30 pounds each side. But I don't recall exactly. If this matters, I would suggest calling Rampage directly. My memory may be off.

In the "up" position, the lower bar (which is tucked in and under some) is just a hair higher than the frame that it parallels. When "down," the top of the step is 6-1/2 inches from the bottom of the door (about 3 inches below the pinch seam).

Do they self retract? No (or if adjusted ever so slightly, yes). They are designed to lock into the down position for use as a step, and have a lever to pull for the gas shocks to push them back up (where they will stay until used again as a step). So when my wife is riding, I either just leave it looking like a "stubbied" nerf bar for short rides, or for longer rides, I'm usually a true gentleman and close her door for her.

However, on my driver's side, I tightened the bolt that holds the locking mechanism so that the "release lever" is permanently "released." If you do this and adjust the shocks correctly, it will self retract most of the way itself as it will not ever lock into the down position. You could also simply remove the spring attached to the lever if you choose). Since I know it does this and never need the step myself (other than to maybe clean bird crap off the roof), I like this option for the drivers side.

Lastly, it would be very difficult for the hinge mechanism to get pushed anywhere by a rock. I suppose that a sharp pointy rock that is landed on just right could maybe break the hinge mechanism, but for the area where this slider is in place, it should protect the doors and body quite well. But they do not cover the entire body. There is a small section just behind the front wheel and a small section just in front of the rear wheel that is not protected. So this could get bent. But any significant damage should be averted fairly well. Unlike the most solid sliders on the market, that type of hit from a major rock may ruin or mangle these sliders, but they should protect the Jeep pretty well other than those couple of spots just under the fender flares that aren't covered.

Again, these are solid and I am very pleased with them. They suit my purposes for a slider that looks good and also pleases my wife with a very usable step height-wise (and no tools needed either way, which pleases me). However, for serious rock crawlers, these aren't for you.

I hope that answers your questions. Best I can tell, if your situation is anything like mine, you are between the MBRP and Rampage. MBRP looks to have a slightly better slider with full coverage and better clearance. Rampage, however, doesn't need any tools or anything to utilze the step (or to remove it as the case may be). So those are the trade-offs as I see it if you need the step.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sixty5vdub
I just installed a set on my 4 dr.

Initial impressions:
Quality of mat'l and welds seems very good.
Finish left a little to be desired: Coating scratched off just moving them around on my smooth concrete garage floor during install. I will be spray on bedlining them very soon, to avoid any rusting issues.
As a step, they work great. I needed something that made it easier to get in to the Jeep, and these definitely do that job well.
As a rail, I have no idea. Haven't had the opportunity to test them, but they seem farily stout. Might not take a hit as hard as a straight up slider would, but should offer protection for moderate rock scrapes.

Overall, I would agree with Hoovis. As a hardcore slider ......... not so much. As a good intermediate slider with the advantage of having a usable step .......... A winner in my book.

Anthony

Do you think they would fit with the stock Rubicon rock rails in place?
Old 10-15-2009, 07:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by relayer4u
Do you think they would fit with the stock Rubicon rock rails in place?
relayer4u, I don't think they will work with the rubi rails. I believe they mount to the same area on the pinch seem. Might be possible if you drill the rubi rails, but I don't think it will work easily.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hoovis,

Thanks for the knowledge, I just ordered mine, and we'll see how it goes. Your description was much more thorough than any thing else I found online. Happy Wheeling.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmugboy
Hoovis,

Thanks for the knowledge, I just ordered mine, and we'll see how it goes. Your description was much more thorough than any thing else I found online. Happy Wheeling.
schmugboy, happy to help. I hope you (and your family) also find them to be a nice compromise.

Quick Reply: Rock Sliders with steps