Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rock Sliders with steps

Old 01-21-2009, 09:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the dynamic load problem in principle, but a couple stout frame mounted points should work wonders as long as the frame doesn't twist. So add a support bar across the frame and do it in such a way that you can use it for a belly pan support.

I too would like to see a real banger conference, a real world tough test shootout!

Seems to me that a body mount could seriously stress the body/frame mounts.

While the sliders might sit higher with a body mount, you are still limited by the frame height.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by glennco
Yeah, I've seen both those threads, but neither of them spent any time explaining in what situations you'd choose a body mount over a frame mount etc.

Also, anyone seen the "Rampage Retractable Rocker" to judge its quality, or have any opinions.

thanks again.
glennco, I've also been interested in the Rampage retractable rockers. My wife needs the step, so I've been stuck with nerf bars. But the reason you can't find much info is because they aren't actually available yet. The last time I checked with Rampage, they were thinking they might be available late March.

If you go to 4wd dot com, they seem to have some new pictures now up. I've looked quite carefully at them, and cannot tell if they are body or frame mounted. Some pictures (the first that were ever posted, I believe), make it look like there is a rail near the frame and then another rail (the step) that acts as a rocker in the up the position and a nerf bar/step in the down position.

However, some of the newer pictures show what looks like a single rail that is simply like a pivoting nerf bar that is body mounted. So I'm not sure anymore what to make of it.

I called them again and was told this time that they don't have any information because they are still in production.

As little help as this is, I hope it answers your question as to why you can't get an answer.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Rampage Retractable Rockers

In case anyone is still interested in the Rampage Retractable Rockers, I just recieved and installed my set today. As a reminder, I had the Smittybilt nerf bars because my wife needed the step. I always thought they were a bit cheesy, but since she needed the step, that what I had.

So I was anxious to get the Rampage ones. I was a bit skeptical, but they turned out to be a very surprise.

I was told that they were frame mounted. But they are not. They are body mounted to the floor of the tub and secured on the pinch seem. But make no mistake, these are solid. Far more solid than the nerf bars were. They can easily hold several hundred pounds as a step. I'm a fairly big guy at 6'1" and 210 pounds, but these easily hold me and don't budge a bit. So the mounting is solid.

When using as a step, the step is a couple inches below the pinch seem. So lower than I've seen elsewhere (which is great for my short wife). So as far as working as a step, these are fantastic.

As far as a rocker guard or slider, I think they are more solid than I originally figured they would be. Certainly they will do the trick for rocker protection. The lower bar is a touch higher clearance than the frame, but is out a few inches. Also, they are a bit shorter front to back than they probably should be. So it would be possible to still do some damage if you are doing some serious rock crawling.

All in all, they work great for me. If you need pure sliders for some heavy duty rock trails, these clearly don't offer quite the protection of a shrockworks or PureJeep. However, if you want something that can double as a step and still provides solid rocker panel protection, these will certainly do the trick.

The way I figure it, is that the mounts are solid. If I was to hit some gnarly rocks just right, I ould in fact do some damage to the rockers. But they still would have done their job (may just need to buy a new set in that case). Only the very front and very back of the pinch seam area is unprotected. So that could still get damaged. But that would likely be minor and unnoticeable most likey.

So do NOT get these if you need a serious rock SLIDER. But if you aren't consistently rock crawling, AND need a step, I thought these were a great bargain and I was very pleasantly surprised with the quality.

Just my two cents. Happy to answer questions if anyone has them.

Oh, and I don't have good pictures. I now realize why all the pictures seemed horrible on websites. It is pretty hard to get any shot with an accurate showing. You sort of need to see them from all angles to really get a sense of how they mount and work. So if someone reminds me (and helps me figure out how to do it), I can take a flip video and try to post that. Would be much better than taking 15 pictures.

Hope this helps. I guess I was the guinea pig. I thought I might not like them and would have maybe wasted the dough, but I really do like them and am quite pleased. (And my wife is quite happy that her step is now easier.)

Last edited by Hoovis; 05-23-2009 at 11:47 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 05-21-2009, 06:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default best of both worlds

Fab Fours mounts to body and frame heres a pic of mine. I'll add more pics if you would like just need to take some

Old 05-21-2009, 06:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Check out the EVO rock rails. They also fit the bill. They are frame mounted (welded) In the pics are the EVO rock rails with the EVO rock guards.

Click image for larger version

Name:	evorr.jpg
Views:	1056
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	24518

Click image for larger version

Name:	evorr2.jpg
Views:	1014
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	24519
Old 05-21-2009, 07:33 PM
JK Super Freak

I got the olympic Xtreme double sliders, they work great, my kids use then as a step, they are frame mounted and handle rocks well and they were cheap!
Old 05-21-2009, 09:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have been very happy with my Rock Hard slider steps http://www.quadratec.com/products/12065_2000.htm
They mount to the body and frame and provide great under carriage protection.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:07 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Hanson/PUREJEEP Representative

Default Hanson Body mounted rockslider w/step

I wanted to show another option of a body mounted functional rockslider with step.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I really like the Hanson sliders. But they aren't available for a 2 door (I think). Even if they were, my wife was specific about how high the step could be for her to actually be able to use it.

A lot of the sliders posted work far better for a slider and still offer a step. Unfortunately for me, I needed a step for the wife that was lower than the pinch seam by at least an inch or two. Most of the better options that function as both step and slider are higher than the pinch seam by about an inch or more. So everything else that I looked at (other than the Rampage) were not usable for my wife. They probably work great for most people, but she is only 5' tall, so my options were limited.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:35 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

Originally Posted by glennco
Morning all,

I'm sure this has been discussed in the forum before, but after a quick search I can't find anything. I am looking for a set or rock sliders with an integrated step for the family.

My research here has left me with a couple of questions.

1: Frame vs Body mounted. Can someone explain the positives/negatives of each?

2: I saw a Rampage autoretracting step/rock slider, but I can't imagine that a good slider is going to be allowed to pivot like that, I would think it would be easily bent/broken at the hinges. Has anyone seen it/run it?

3: Any recommendations from those of you in a similar predicament?

thanks in advance
We opted to go with body mounted heavy duty rock rails. I am sure you have read the various opinions on each so I won't reiterate what has already been said.

Our rock rails also have detachable steps that simply bolt on and off depending on whether you are using the Jeep on the street or actually wheeling it. The steps have four bolts on each, so they are very strong, yet can be removed in minutes with a wrench.

If you want to check out our 4 door rails, go to www.mbrp.com, select the automotive page and look for the Jeep button with our 4 Door JK in the picture. You will see a number of images and specific details on our products.

We have been to MOAB this year and just got back this past weekend from wheelin' in New Jersey and we have thrown just about everything at our rig. The rails have been tough as nails and I am sure would be a great addition to your Jeep.

Feel free to contact me if you would like more info.

Here is a few pictures to give you an idea...our two door rails are due to be shipping next month. The design, and look is the same as the 4 door rails, but shorter.

Last edited by MBRP Tech 1; 05-22-2009 at 08:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Rock Sliders with steps