Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rock Sliders

Old 10-19-2016, 04:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having sliders for sliders is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Looks terrible and is a huge loss of ground clearance.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the TNT Customs step/sliders. I've been very happy with them. They prevented what could have been quite a bit of damage on the Rubicon Trail in July. They're a little bent and scraped up now but like my wife says, "chicks dig scars".
Old 10-20-2016, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Having sliders for sliders is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Looks terrible and is a huge loss of ground clearance.

Not just sliders to have sliders. They will be for protection also, I just don't want to spend $600-$800 on them. Also, do they really cost you that much ground clearance? Doesn't seem like they would.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by iron53man
Not just sliders to have sliders. They will be for protection also, I just don't want to spend $600-$800 on them. Also, do they really cost you that much ground clearance? Doesn't seem like they would.
They do. You're easily reducing your ground clearance by at least 2-3 inches.

Again, you can buy some very solid frame mounted sliders for under $600 from EVO, VKS, or LOD. Not sure where you're finding those prices.

This is assuming you're buying them bare metal (like you should) and rattle canning or bedlining them. I truly don't understand why anybody would powder coat rock sliders. What a headache.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:53 AM
VKS
Forum Sponsor

Thanks for the mention. We have two different sets of frame mounted sliders available. The level of craftsmen we put into our products is second to none in the JK market. We're also running a sale and you cant beat the price! Home - VKS Fabrication
Old 10-20-2016, 10:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another vote for VKS here. I ran my Rubi rails for 4 years because I just wasn't impressed with the sliders on the market (one manufacturer in particular had some pretty sloppy work). And yes, I have creases all the way down my rocker from where the Rubi rail flexed into the body. Decision to go with VKS was easy once I saw the quality product that they were putting out.

For the OP, the price can't be be beat right now and either of their options are what I would consider to be aesthetically pleasing. And when you do decide to wheel in the rocks, you'll be protected.

Also worth noting: I went with the prerunners because of plate that protects things from coming up between the rails of the sliders. All of my friends that have an "open" design seem to keep having logs and large sticks pop up and get wedged between the bars. All of them have had significant body damage. I like that the plate on the prerunners prevents that from happening. Maybe it's just where we wheel. Lots of downed branches and things that want to jump up and attack your jeep.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:39 AM
JK Newbie

I have the JCR Classic sliders. Mount to Body mounts and pinch seam like Rubi rails. Not too expensive and very strong. These do not reduce ground clearance.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
You may lose a bit of ground clearance from one brand or the other. But since I have yet to acquire decent skidplate armor, I can attest that that "loss" equates to "saving" ur butt on jagged rocky climbs. I always aim my lines so as to have the rock rails take the brunt of whatever is on the trail. When I get my skidplates, obviously I'll be choosing my lines differently. Since you mentioned light to moderate wheeling and looks as your main concern, there are cheaper and more expensive routes to go. Keep us posted.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BoraBora
They do. You're easily reducing your ground clearance by at least 2-3 inches.

Again, you can buy some very solid frame mounted sliders for under $600 from EVO, VKS, or LOD. Not sure where you're finding those prices.

This is assuming you're buying them bare metal (like you should) and rattle canning or bedlining them. I truly don't understand why anybody would powder coat rock sliders. What a headache.
I don't know where you're shopping but I've had ZERO loss of ground clearance with the TNT Customs step/sliders.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0012.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	659465
Old 10-21-2016, 09:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.nem-ind.com/products/jk-...ocker-kit.html

Quick Reply: Rock Sliders