Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rock Slider time for my 2dr JK!

Old 03-25-2017, 05:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The very fronts and backs of sliders kissing the pinch seam is something I would expect and can live with. In a scenario of a hit in that location, I mean. Those ends are cantilevered out from the mounting points so I would expect that to happen. In my particular scenario, the hit was right below one of the legs, so there was no moment arm involved in compounding that hit.

Anyhow, I can to the thread to share my particular unlucky scenario even if I was the one in a million person that it happened to. That's the beauty (and ugly side too) of forums... but consumers can read the information and make their own choices. I would be doing a disservice to the Jeep community if I wasn't transparent about what I do or don't like about my various modifications. Speaking with other Jeepers before doing any mod has always helped me understand what to expect and prepare for, which often saves time and heartache vs when you discover issues all on your own.

VKS was very generous in his offer to replace the sliders. As I mentioned, I'm more than comfortable fabricating my own mounting mechanism. I'll be happy to update this thread with my modifications. I get that not everyone has the ability to fabricate all new mounts, but I'll put the info out there anyway.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:27 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

something like this if you start backing down and there is a bit of an under cut that your rear wheel drops in just right it hits hard.

Hey I love shrockworks too I have their rear bumper and while it never caused real damage it will flex enough to remove and crack your paint at the corners. I found that out in moab the beginning of march. Never happened on my 4 door but it did on my new 2 door (same bumper) yet I know it saved me from worse damage just like the sliders did.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:31 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I would say for the hardcore people safest thing would be to fab their own. Most of us are not hard core or at least I am not.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
I would say for the hardcore people safest thing would be to fab their own. Most of us are not hard core or at least I am not.
That's where I'm at. Lol, I like to think I'm hardcore at least.

All along I had wanted to fab my own but in the interest of time and energy, I bought VKS. I had too many projects on the table and wanted something easy and off the shelf.

Additionally, I picked those sliders because of the "closed" design, or whatever you want to call it with the insert panel. One of the major issues we have on the east coast is large tree branches that want to kick up and destroy your jeep. I've watched my friends with the EVO and Shrockworks sliders manage to perfectly wedge large branches into the openings of their sliders and it had destroyed their rockers and doors. I like that the panel on the VKS Prerunners was removable for easy painting touch up and protected me from what happened to my friends.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:39 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

something like this if you start backing down and there is a bit of an under cut that your rear wheel drops in just right it hits hard.

Hey I love shrockworks too I have their rear bumper and while it never caused real damage it will flex enough to remove and crack your paint at the corners. I found that out in moab the beginning of march. Never happened on my 4 door but it did on my new 2 door (same bumper) yet I know it saved me from worse damage just like the sliders did.

You really can't compare bumpers though. There are just too many factors involved. We'll see. Maybe I'll just say screw it and get some weld-on's. I'm just glad I didnt' go through the process of tapping the frame yet.....

Old 03-25-2017, 05:42 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
That's where I'm at. Lol, I like to think I'm hardcore at least.

All along I had wanted to fab my own but in the interest of time and energy, I bought VKS. I had too many projects on the table and wanted something easy and off the shelf.

Additionally, I picked those sliders because of the "closed" design, or whatever you want to call it with the insert panel. One of the major issues we have on the east coast is large tree branches that want to kick up and destroy your jeep. I've watched my friends with the EVO and Shrockworks sliders manage to perfectly wedge large branches into the openings of their sliders and it had destroyed their rockers and doors. I like that the panel on the VKS Prerunners was removable for easy painting touch up and protected me from what happened to my friends.

That's good to know. My first option was actually the Nemesis Billy Rockers or the Genright Boatsides. Maybe I'll just skip over the others and go to one of those instead.....

Old 03-25-2017, 06:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
The very fronts and backs of sliders kissing the pinch seam is something I would expect and can live with. In a scenario of a hit in that location, I mean. Those ends are cantilevered out from the mounting points so I would expect that to happen.
The rear sliders did more than 'kiss' the seams. My rear seams are near flat. So I'm going to disagree. I expect a $500, raw set of rock sliders to do their job 100%. Especially under perfectly acceptable circumstances of moderate wheeling. This means NOT touching any part of the body.

Obviously some things were not taken into account, like the amount of flex that would occur. The sliders should not mount so close to the body to account for articulation.

And welding them would make 0 difference in my situation. My mounting points are 100% in tact.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:15 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by skulldaddy
The rear sliders did more than 'kiss' the seams. My rear seams are near flat. So I'm going to disagree. I expect a $500, raw set of rock sliders to do their job 100%. Especially under perfectly acceptable circumstances of moderate wheeling. This means NOT touching any part of the body.

Obviously some things were not taken into account, like the amount of flex that would occur. The sliders should not mount so close to the body to account for articulation.

And welding them would make 0 difference in my situation. My mounting points are 100% in tact.

Good to know SD. Thanks for laying it out there straight.

So did you end up selling the VKS' now that you're going the Poison Spyder route? Also will the body mount rocker knockers (or whatever PSC calls them) work with the skins you already have mounted?

** Btw, good lookin' rig man. Is that a carbon fiber hood?

Last edited by DJ1; 03-25-2017 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1
Good to know SD. Thanks for laying it out there straight.

So did you end up selling the VKS' now that you're going the Poison Spyder route? Also will the body mount rocker knockers (or whatever PSC calls them) work with the skins you already have mounted?

** Btw, good lookin' rig man. Is that a carbon fiber hood?
I have a buyer that is interested in them who's new to off roading so they will suit her well. Yes the PSC's do play nice with my already mounted rocker armor. So that is a plus. A big selling point for me is that Marcus Rose of River City Offroad runs them and he wheels pretty hard. Plus I do no want to weld to my frame. Too permanent for my tastes, especially since I plan to go to long arms.

Thanks. The hood is just a different color... I picked it up for cheap to cut into.. just trying out a different look too. Not sold on it yet though.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:45 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Well hey, if you're considering the VKS I'll give you a good deal on mine. Already powdercoated gloss black but the shipping costs may not make it worthwhile....

Quick Reply: Rock Slider time for my 2dr JK!