Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rock Rails Suggestion

Old 08-20-2013, 04:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What the xrc rails?
Old 08-20-2013, 04:33 PM
JK Freak

What the xrc rails?
Old 08-20-2013, 04:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't say small hits but yes I've seen them (xrc's) mash against the body before. They should be good for light to moderate wheeling tho
Old 08-20-2013, 05:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I did it all over again, I'd go with the Ace rails. I welded on the poly Performance kit and really like it.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:48 PM
JK Junkie

Ace rock rails were the second real mod I did, right after the EVO skid plate system.

Since then I've added an Ace rear bumper/tire carrier and I am scheduled to have the front Ace bumper installed next week...

I don't work for them or anything but for the moderate rock climbing I've done, the Ace products have impressed me with their fit and finish and they are great to deal with on the phone, for my front bumper FedEx mashed the box and none of the nuts and bolts made it to my local 4x4 shop and they rushed the lost/missing parts right away.

Matthew
Old 08-20-2013, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

I will have to come up with a decesion on what I want. I like the idea of making my own homegrown rails as suggested just need to find the time to get this done if I go this route. I also will stay away from the SmittyBilt considering the last few comments. To say that I will hit a bunch of rocks and lay all the weight of my jeep on one side would be highly unlikely at this time! I appreciate all the info from everyone. Keep them coming until I make up my mind.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:51 PM
JK Super Freak

I bought a set of rails that were fab'd up by somebody else and although they are mounted to the body they have proven trail worthy twice already.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-870552887.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	490187   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2539958373.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	490189   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3040056933.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	490191   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2535226476.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	490192  
Old 08-21-2013, 05:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wittys-jk
I bought a set of rails that were fab'd up by somebody else and although they are mounted to the body they have proven trail worthy twice already.

I like the way these look! Do you have any measurements? These look like they stick out a little more than others.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Wrangler22
I like the way these look! Do you have any measurements? These look like they stick out a little more than others.
I can measure them for you if you like they do stick out and up at a slight angle so they are not level by any means. My wife and kids use them all the time to get in and out so they are also practical in that regard but they are angled high enough that they give me more of the look and clearance that I like.

Here is a side profile
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3447869146.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	490268  
Old 08-21-2013, 08:08 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
Ace rock rails were the second real mod I did, right after the EVO skid plate system.

Since then I've added an Ace rear bumper/tire carrier and I am scheduled to have the front Ace bumper installed next week...

I don't work for them or anything but for the moderate rock climbing I've done, the Ace products have impressed me with their fit and finish and they are great to deal with on the phone, for my front bumper FedEx mashed the box and none of the nuts and bolts made it to my local 4x4 shop and they rushed the lost/missing parts right away.

Matthew
Ace used their customers for R&D on the tire carrier. They've changed the design about 15 times since it was first put on the market. I went through 2 tire carriers in a month because the swing arm kept cracking welds. They sent me the second one which was supposed to be improved and much stronger. It took 3 days for it to crack the same weld my first one did and start dumping rusty water all over the bumper. After that I asked for a refund of the swing arm cost and kept the bumper.

I had ace rails originally and they flexed into my pinch seam. When I dropped onto a rock.

Personally I wouldn't put anything that isn't frame mounted on my jeep. If I was going to do it again I would get LOD.

Quick Reply: Rock Rails Suggestion