Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rock Rails Suggestion

Old 08-20-2013, 10:37 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Build your own off the Rubi rails!
Old 08-20-2013, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
Frame mounted is way stronger and preferred if you are going to be bashing them off rocks. LOD's like I have a frame mounted (drilling about 8 holes per side) and have a step. Evo sells weld on ones which are suppsosedly some of the strongest ones out there. I just know my LOD's have been abused badly but have held up wthout issue.

As for the Ace rails with Rubi sliders....I've seen what happens if you bounce them hard enough on rocks and it's not pretty. By leaving the rubi rails on, you eliminate/reduce the spacing between the ace slider and body so any flex you get on the ace tends to push into the rubi slider. I've seen real body damage occur when this happened.
WHAT!!! ive had the weight of my entire rig (just about) on one ace rail. f/n strong as hell no doubt about it. slammed all over rocks too and they still look new -never once caused any damage. but I don't run the Rubik's cube rails tho...
Old 08-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Rusty's Off-Road

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maertz
Build your own off the Rubi rails!

This!

Rusty's Add-On Rock-Sliders - 4-Door JK Wrangler - New Products

Old 08-20-2013, 11:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
As for the Ace rails with Rubi sliders....I've seen what happens if you bounce them hard enough on rocks and it's not pretty. By leaving the rubi rails on, you eliminate/reduce the spacing between the ace slider and body so any flex you get on the ace tends to push into the rubi slider. I've seen real body damage occur when this happened.
Ace offers a weld on slider as well, I can't speak to that. That said...

I have seen Ace rails with rubi rails and without rubi rails do damage to the body of the jeep. Without the rubi rail they flex up into the pinch seam, crushing it. With the rubi rail in the way the damage is much less, but a hard enough hit will slam the rubi rail into the rocker panel.

I have even seen ace rails pull the other direction, they were hooked on an overhang and began to bend down and tear off. Bear in mind this is all rather hard wheeling. IMO they hang down quite low and work well as a light duty rail.

With any rail you have basically two options, body/body bolt mounted and frame mounted. Frame mounted will always be the strongest. Always. But often you sacrifice some clearance. Body/body bolt will be weaker due to what they mount to. Body bolt mounted have a tendancy to flex quite a bit and can contact the rocker panel and dent it. Direct body mount (boatside) are usually very high clearance, but are only as stong as the surface they attach to, and the factory sheet metal isnt all that strong.

FWIW I went with body mounted (boat side) Poison Spider Brawlers for the highest clearance possible. I have buckled my rocker panel in two spots since and dented the slider itself.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:05 PM
JK Jedi

Id fab up your own i got flat stock and channel and have dropped all the weight of the vehicle on then very hard and they havent budged at all. N this still has the rubi rails on as a backbone
Old 08-20-2013, 01:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKred
Ace offers a weld on slider as well, I can't speak to that. That said...

I have seen Ace rails with rubi rails and without rubi rails do damage to the body of the jeep. Without the rubi rail they flex up into the pinch seam, crushing it. With the rubi rail in the way the damage is much less, but a hard enough hit will slam the rubi rail into the rocker panel.

I have even seen ace rails pull the other direction, they were hooked on an overhang and began to bend down and tear off. Bear in mind this is all rather hard wheeling. IMO they hang down quite low and work well as a light duty rail.

With any rail you have basically two options, body/body bolt mounted and frame mounted. Frame mounted will always be the strongest. Always. But often you sacrifice some clearance. Body/body bolt will be weaker due to what they mount to. Body bolt mounted have a tendancy to flex quite a bit and can contact the rocker panel and dent it. Direct body mount (boatside) are usually very high clearance, but are only as stong as the surface they attach to, and the factory sheet metal isnt all that strong.

FWIW I went with body mounted (boat side) Poison Spider Brawlers for the highest clearance possible. I have buckled my rocker panel in two spots since and dented the slider itself.
I have the Ace Rails and used them to drag my Jeep over some rocks and tree limbs this weekend without any of the damage described above. Sure, there is plenty of coating removed from the rails, but that is what they are for and can be easily touched up. I will have to stop and take a pic next time to see if they are making contact with the Rubi rails, but I can't find any evidence of such. This is likely just dependent on how hard you wheel - Yes, if you are potentially dropping your Jeep from a height onto a hard object (5k+ pounds at speed = substantial impact) and relying on rock rails to support the full weight of the vehicle, I would be looking for something that welds to the frame with support brackets, etc. I still don't see how you could bend them down with enough force to tear them off because I don't see how you could generate momentum in that direction - must have been trail where there was a substial drop to one side and a rock with a perfect angle to just cover the rail, but not touch the side of the Jeep that was keeping the Jeep from rolling??? - Anyway, just not what I need.

Last edited by Rubiconlaw; 08-20-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ace, Yessss!!!
Old 08-20-2013, 02:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The smitttbuilt xrc rails look great. Iv got em on mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-589350576.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	490118
Old 08-20-2013, 02:15 PM
JK Jedi

Now theres a rockrail ive seen crumble under small hits......
Old 08-20-2013, 04:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Maertz
Now theres a rockrail ive seen crumble under small hits......
Yup... +10 characters

Quick Reply: Rock Rails Suggestion