Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rock rails... Re-invent them or just go with it?

Old 03-29-2013, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rock rails... Re-invent them or just go with it?

So I took the rock rails off so that I could clean them up and re-paint them while the Jeep is just sitting waiting for work to be done.

Well this happened to 90% of the bolts:

The rock rails bolt to the frame and pinch seam. The guy stopped making them because too many people complained about excess vibration from them.
So to fix/remount them I was thinking about grinding off the angle iron and buying a 2 pairs of these body mounts for $88 and having someone weld them on for me. Basically turning my rock rails into Ace engineering ones.

Or do I grind off the angle iron, and weld in some new bolts and the angle iron back on... Maybe someone has an even better idea?

Should mention I am on a budget here trying to get my baby back on the road.

Just an idea of the poor paint job I did on these, I was in such a rush! That's what I get for no prep work... being lazy always bites you in the ass.

Final thing, even after being bolted in 2 spots I still managed this on a rock.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:14 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder how many beers it took for a couple of guys debating body or frame mount for them after the brutal battle to decide....OK...let's do both you bastard.

OK the body is mounted on rubber isolators from the frame.

Let's be smarter than the engineers.....Let's tie body and frame together with a slider......Brilliant....Let's have another beer!

Siezed hardware from the guys that came up with this idea.....PRICELESSS

Ditch the bitch or convert to frame mount. And add a little length to protect the body filler that your protection didn't protect.

Sorry bud I know it's not your fault that the guys that sell that product are incompetant.

From the look at your pics I'd be heading to someone that can fix the pinch seam problems not shown if you plan to keep the vehicle.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
I wonder how many beers it took for a couple of guys debating body or frame mount for them after the brutal battle to decide....OK...let's do both you bastard.

OK the body is mounted on rubber isolators from the frame.

Let's be smarter than the engineers.....Let's tie body and frame together with a slider......Brilliant....Let's have another beer!

Siezed hardware from the guys that came up with this idea.....PRICELESSS

Ditch the bitch or convert to frame mount. And add a little length to protect the body filler that your protection didn't protect.

Sorry bud I know it's not your fault that the guys that sell that product are incompetant.

From the look at your pics I'd be heading to someone that can fix the pinch seam problems not shown if you plan to keep the vehicle.
I plan on keeping the Jeep till it really dies or I do. The damage isn't that bad, managed to cut off the last seized nut today to check out the pinch seam damage. There's definitely some deflection but I think due to all the pinch seam tie ins, its spread out relatively well. Painting the whole rocker next weekend anyway so I am not to concerned about that damage.

I was thinking about just getting it welded to the frame, but this might lower my clearance, plus it makes removal/re-installation a major deal. My #1 choice has always been the Ace mounts and I don't think that will change, unless I har something better/cheaper.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd scrap those rock rails and start over
Where`d you find the body mounts (2nd pic) for $88 ?
Old 03-31-2013, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grn Jeep
I'd scrap those rock rails and start over
Where`d you find the body mounts (2nd pic) for $88 ?
That's a terrible idea. Now if you read it says exactly who makes them. :ID10T:

Quick Reply: Rock rails... Re-invent them or just go with it?