Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rock Rail Bolt Torque

Old 06-21-2009, 05:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rock Rail Bolt Torque

I am just finishing up an install of LoD sliders and just wanted to know what torque everyone is tightening theirs to. There aren't many threads so I don't want to go too far, I was thinking around 35-40 ft-lbs?

Also, grade 8 vs grade 5 bolts, I'm wondering if grade 5 bolts would be better since they're less prone to shearing than grade 8 which are harder. The forces that will be applied to the bolts look like they will have more of a shearing action. I know typically grade 5 is plenty for most things.

Thanks in advance for the help
Old 06-21-2009, 08:34 AM
JK Junkie

Well I've read elsewhere that because they are tapped into the thin wall of the frame you shouldn't go more then 20 or 25 ft-lbs to avoid stripping the threads in the thin wall, seems like not much torque, but I guess when you've got 10 bolts holding these things up you don't need much more
Old 06-23-2009, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default LoD Bolt Torque

Originally Posted by absoluttorque
I am just finishing up an install of LoD sliders and just wanted to know what torque everyone is tightening theirs to. There aren't many threads so I don't want to go too far, I was thinking around 35-40 ft-lbs?

Also, grade 8 vs grade 5 bolts, I'm wondering if grade 5 bolts would be better since they're less prone to shearing than grade 8 which are harder. The forces that will be applied to the bolts look like they will have more of a shearing action. I know typically grade 5 is plenty for most things.

Thanks in advance for the help
Hi absoluttorque,

Sorry to respond so late... I meant to answer you this weekend.

I did not torque mine... I just kind of did it by feel.

I did use blue Loctite on the threads, though. Not so much for strength as for keeping them from backing out if they loosened slightly.

Mine are two doors, and there was only one of the four mounting locations that didn't have either a skid plate bolt, or a bolt completely though the frame rail. If there had been something other than frame-tapped bolts on the forth location, I wouldn't be too concerned.

I plan on keeping an eye on them, and if necessary have them welded to the frame.

I hope the installation went well for you.

Take Care

Jeff

Quick Reply: Rock Rail Bolt Torque