Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rock Monsters

Old 01-03-2011, 11:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rock Monsters

I'm considering dropping some serious coin this spring to get black Rock Monster beadlock wheels. Besides the fact they cost an arm and a leg, I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts about performance, durability, maintenance, effect of extra weight on the front end components, etc. There is something about the look of these wheels that I just can't get out of my head. Bonus points if you've got pics of them on a bright silver JKU. As always, I appreciate your input.

If it matters, they will most likely be wrapped with 315 Duratracs and mated up to a TF 2.5 coil lift.

Last edited by Sharkey; 01-04-2011 at 08:42 AM. Reason: fixed a typo
Old 01-04-2011, 06:28 AM
JK Jedi

Bump for the morning crowd.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That'll be a sweet looking setup.

I like the rockmonsters as well, but as you said they are pretty darn expensive. I remember looking at them and wishing I had 3Gs for wheels.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:31 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

they look great for sure but they are pricey. you might want to ask around but i do know a few people who have these wheels and complain about air leaking out all the time. maybe it's a fluke but, something you should be aware of.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:52 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by wayoflife
they look great for sure but they are pricey. you might want to ask around but i do know a few people who have these wheels and complain about air leaking out all the time. maybe it's a fluke but, something you should be aware of.
Wow...that isn't good. Thanks for that info! I would be very unhappy to spend that kind of money and have the wheels constantly leak. I guess I'm going to have to start looking around again. It just doesn't seem like there are that many DOT approved beadlock choices out there.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:59 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mskh20
Wow...that isn't good. Thanks for that info! I would be very unhappy to spend that kind of money and have the wheels constantly leak. I guess I'm going to have to start looking around again. It just doesn't seem like there are that many DOT approved beadlock choices out there.
well, before you give up on them, i would talk to hutchenson to get their take on things. i'm just telling you what i have seen/heard but, maybe there was some install error going on.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:06 AM
JK Freak

I can't comment on them off-road as I bought then strictly for looks. I had Dave at Northridge install mine, I believe in July and they have held air as well any wheel I have owned. Personally if I were to buy a wheel to off road I would have bought something much cheaper. If you are a diehard off roader and have the money I think they would make a great off-road wheel. If you only off-road moderately and are concerned about rock rash I would stay with a cheaper wheel. By the time you buy the wheel, tire and have it mounted you are starting to push a grand a wheel, defiantly not something you want to park overnight at Motel 6.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:38 AM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One of the guys down here in SD had the same issue WOL described with losing air. Not sure that they all don't lose some air but he complained that it was exceptional. Might just have been a bad set I don't know but it's some feedback for you!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:40 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by wayoflife
well, before you give up on them, i would talk to hutchenson to get their take on things. i'm just telling you what i have seen/heard but, maybe there was some install error going on.
I won't give up yet, but hearing that is definitely a concern for me considering the price of the wheels. It also concerns me a bit that the only time I ever see these wheels is on rigs at shows. Maybe it's just a function of economics, but it sure doesn't seem like too many people run these wheels (which, ironically, is also part of the reason I like them.)

Originally Posted by CAOKKIE
I can't comment on them off-road as I bought then strictly for looks. I had Dave at Northridge install mine, I believe in July and they have held air as well any wheel I have owned. Personally if I were to buy a wheel to off road I would have bought something much cheaper. If you are a diehard off roader and have the money I think they would make a great off-road wheel. If you only off-road moderately and are concerned about rock rash I would stay with a cheaper wheel. By the time you buy the wheel, tire and have it mounted you are starting to push a grand a wheel, defiantly not something you want to park overnight at Motel 6.
I am concerned about rock rash, but I won't be running the kind of extreme rock runs that some of the guys on here run (which is why I'm only going to go with a 2.5" spring lift and 35's.) I hope to run the Rubicon once a year, but that will probably be the most difficult trail I run. Airing down is important to me, expecially in the Nevada desert and also up in the Sierra Mountains. That is what has me looking at beadlocks to begin with but these wheels sure are expensive. I could by a bumper and winch for what I would save if I could just find a normal wheel that really caught my eye like the rock monsters.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:00 AM
JK Freak

I too have always danced to the beat of a different drummer and never one to follow the crowd. I like what I like because I like it and not because everyone else likes it. I can’t say for sure but my feelings is that leaking air is like death wobble. I think most all death wobble is due to installation error and not the lift kits. Anyway I wish you the best on your choice of wheel and look foreward to seeing your completed rig.
Have a good day, Grizz

Quick Reply: Rock Monsters