Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rock Krawler vs. Teraflex

Old 10-23-2012, 03:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the same boat. I'm running a TF performance leveling kit with 35" tires and flat fenders. After the Jeep Jamboree last weekend, I need more lift. I'm looking at the RK Max Travel 2.5" or the TF equivalent. What to do? Dang all these choices.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chzwhiz
You guys are making me cry!!! Damn, I thought I had a plan! Ha ha. Are the folks with the weight of bumpers, winches, and heavy armor having the same issues with the beasty RK 2.5 inch lift coils?
My Rock Hard front stubby weighs a whopping 84lbs (1/4in steel) and my winch w synthetic rope comes in at around 50lbs. I had a TF 2.5 BB and suffered severe sag on the nose. I went w the RK lift due to the progressive rate front springs. I wanted to avoid sag. I cant stand the factory front rake and wanted my JKU to set level. When I talked to a RK rep, he stated that heavy bumpers are taking into account w their lifts. My nose sets 1/8in lower than the rear. I have stock driveshafts w no vibes. I will admit that the front DS looks fairly steep at the T-case. Will probably get a 1310 front DS in the near future. I haven't done much flexing off-road and the boot is not torn or anything, but it is just a matter of time before the front left drops enough to do just that. The rear DS angle is fine. Would not even consider dropping the cash for an aftermarket rear DS. I honestly don't think I have the 4+ inches of lift up front like others have stated. Here's acouple of level pics with the same tires to compare. Lifts look the same w my eyes.

TF 2.5 BB w stock bumpers and 33x12.5 A/T's

RK 2.5 Stock Mod w Rock Hard bumper and Smitty winch setting in the same spot w same tires.

Last edited by Topkicker1; 10-23-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would like to know witch one is softer... And if both control arms are silent...
Thks
Old 10-23-2012, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just crunched a few numbers. To buy all the pieces present in the RK Max flex 2.5 kit, but with Tera flex parts it adds up to 1581 without shocks; building off the 2.5 coil lift. Maybe TF is able to build custom lift kits that could shave a few bucks. I know the TF parts are top quality, the warranty is top notch, and their customer service is among they best. $400 difference in price is a thorny pill to swallow.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chzwhiz
$400 difference in price is a thorny pill to swallow.
I'm very happy with my TF leveling kit but RK is supposed to be similar quality. $400 will almost buy a snorkel.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are the people with 2drs using heavy gear (bumpers, winch, skids, ect) with the RK 2.5 MT kit surviving with stock drive shafts?
Old 10-26-2012, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

All I can say is my 08 had a tf kit and my 11 is rk. I hated the teraflex ride, stiff as hell compared to Rk. Rk has greak customer service and great ride plus upgradable to all of there other kits. Im all about the Rock Krawler
Old 10-28-2012, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion, Rock Krawler is the way to go. I have a 2010 2 door Rubicon with a AEV front bumper and winch. I dont yet have a new rear bumper yet but plan to (LOD). I had several concerns when purchasing my lift. I wanted to use 35" tires and did not want to mod the fenders or pinch seam. I didn't want to have to swap the driveshafts just yet. I also wanted to keep as much of the stock drive but also get lots of flex for offroad.

I went with the Rock Krawler 2.5" X Factor Kit, Goodyear Duratrac LT315/70R17 tires and Pro-Comp 7028 17x9.5 wheels with 4.75" backspace. The 2.5 X Factor kit is not listed on the RK website but it is available.

This setup works really well.

I chose the Rock Krawer 2.5 X Factor because it does several things. It is the same kit as the 3.5 X Factor but with 2.5 springs. The parts are massive and in my opinion, could take a huge beating. It includes both upper and lower adjustable control arms which allows you to adjust the front and rear caster angles. The RK rear control arms move the rear axle to the rear by 1 inch. This improves the clearance between the tire and the pinch seam.
The kit contains both front and rear track bars to recenter the axles after the lift. The kit also includes a new rear track bar bracket to extend the axle end mounting point up to minimize bump stear and correct geometry.

I think the best thing that I did was to find a shop to install the kit that had lots of experience with different kits and all the equipment onsite. They told mw what kits to stear away from and which were good. I could have done the install myself, but could not have done the alignment that was needed. The kit also requires that the rear track bar bracket is welded to the axle. In my opinion, welding is the way to go, and the shop had no problem with the welding.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JeepWithLiftMed.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	383363
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Measurements.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	383343
Old 10-28-2012, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just pulled the trigger, ordered my 2.5 stock mod from rock krawler, i wo be adding upper and lower CAs but im on a tight budget and i have wheels and tires already (35x12.5 trail grapplers) and the ones i have now are bald and i need new ones before winter so time is of the esscence!
Old 10-28-2012, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Joey
Just pulled the trigger, ordered my 2.5 stock mod from rock krawler
Go Joey! That's awesome! Congrats! Still waiting for pics!

Quick Reply: Rock Krawler vs. Teraflex