Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rock Krawler vs. Teraflex

Old 10-20-2012, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chzwhiz
Do the RK control arms squeak? I talked to a parts guy who preferred the TF control arms because the greased ends make them silent. He also claimed they had increased articulation. With that said he really liked all the RK gear.
I have seen posts on here about the arms squeaking but never from someone that has them. LOL. No squeaks to report. The stockers didn't squeak and does not require grease either. I don't see how you could get more articulation from one brand of LCA's vs another. They bolt from point A (axle) to point B (frame mount). If it's a long arm vs short arm LCA, the articulation would then make a difference.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Topkicker1
I have seen posts on here about the arms squeaking but never from someone that has them. LOL. No squeaks to report. The stockers didn't squeak and does not require grease either. I don't see how you could get more articulation from one brand of LCA's vs another. They bolt from point A (axle) to point B (frame mount). If it's a long arm vs short arm LCA, the articulation would then make a difference.

Mine have squeaking from time to time. I usually spray the rock krawler joints with pb blaster from time to time and it fixes it. If it hapens, its very minimal. As far as articulation, the ball end of the RK joint or other similar styles MAY give a tine bit more of room to flex but it comes down to your coils and more importantly, the lenght of your shocks.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Topkicker1

I don't have any kit but I've been eyeing the 2.5 max travel from RK and have done some research on my own. I don't know why they would flex more or if they even do but I've always heard they flex like crazy. Some say its because of the springs. The other thing I've noticed is the lower CA's on RK are high clearance vs TF straight arms and that could have something to do with it also but I'm just guessing. Maybe someone else can confirm.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:52 AM
JK Jedi

I have the TF 2.5" Coil lift and RK Adjustable Front LCAs and Trackbar. No problems...
Old 10-21-2012, 05:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Ive worked with both, and honestly I would choose Teraflex.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ryanc
Ive worked with both, and honestly I would choose Teraflex.
Why? Would help the OP understand your recommendation.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mpkelley20

Why? Would help the OP understand your recommendation.
X2. I have teraflex 2.5" and am up in the air about which control arms to choose
Old 10-21-2012, 06:02 AM
JK Super Freak

While we have this great thread going, can I ask the actual observed lift height out of each company's 2.5? 2door preferably.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 4W-Jive
While we have this great thread going, can I ask the actual observed lift height out of each company's 2.5? 2door preferably.

The asnwer to this is difficult. Here's why

What is your setup? Are you running aftermarket bumpers and winch? RK uses progressive rate coils so a 2 door running stock bumpers will see a ton of lift from the 2.5" coils. My buddy has that setup and he sits an inch or two higher than my 4 door running 3.5" coils since I have aftermarket bumpers and winch. The progreesive rate coils, in his case, have zero compression at the top 3 wraps where mine are fully compressed. That lack of compression on his coils pushes his Jeep up around 2" or so over 2.5". So he's having driveline issues now!

Also, RK does not make specific kits for 2 door or 4 door. The coils are the same so a heavier 4 door will yield less lift over a 2 door. However, even with a heavy 4 door, the amount of lift you get with RK will be more than the stated height. My 3.5" is proabably settled in around 4"

Teraflex makes it interesting. After 2010, the started selling 2 door and 4 door kits separately. Prior to that, their kits were like RK so 2 doors were seeing way more lift that what some people wanted. So TF addressed that so now 2 door JK's have a choice. Buy the specific 2 door version and maybe net 3" out of it or but the 4 door version and get maybe 3" to 4" of lift (maybe more??). Teraflex uses linear coils so those don't address heavy bumpers the same way progressive rate coils will. Depending on your setup, when heavy stuff is added, that will have more impact on net ride height than RK. Think of it this way, the RK 2.5" coils are probably longer than the TF 2.5" coils but the progressive nature of them bring the overall height back to around TF height. But individual setup will impact how much height everyone ends up getting.

With the control arm situation, both companies ues their own style joint ends. TF requires regular greasing and RK does not. Which one lasts longer? Who knows. They are both super beefy and I believe have great warranties. I prefer the RK design for the higher clearance. But I do a lot of rock cralwing and that might not suit everyone's off-road style.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did I just read that someone is having drivetrain issues with the RK 2.5 inch kit?!?! Did it kill his front driveshaft? Has anyone else had that issue?

Quick Reply: Rock Krawler vs. Teraflex