Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rock krawler stock mod vs aev 2.5

Old 03-08-2012, 07:00 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

AEV does have nice, clean and simple products.

One thing you will find with our Stock Mod or any of our 2.5 or 3.5" system as compared to theirs, we include front track bars in all of our systems so the front axle will sit square in the vehicle. Without recentering the front axle obviously the axle is cocked a bit and will cause your rig to Dog Track a bit... Then above and beyond that, most our systems include high clearance lower control arms which are critical up front for gaining caster and are nice in the rear for setting the pinion angle. They are almost a must have when you go to after markert drive shafts...

Good luck with your builds guys...

RK
Old 03-08-2012, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed an AEV 2.5" lift this past weekend. I have no experience with RK so can't comment there but the ride with the AEV is fantastic. Their lift was designed for the added weight of an aftermarket bumper and winch on the front and aftermarket bumper/tire carrier in the rear, so there isn't a need to worry about sag issues from the start. The springs are progressive and the shocks are tuned specifically for the spring/JK combo which contributes to a great ride without being overly firm. I also installed AEV's control arm brackets which corrects any castor issues up front. The lift does come with a new rear trackbar and a bracket that changes the roll center which contributes to the great handling.
As far as the lack of a front trackbar with the AEV lift, the difference is a 1/4" which is hardly what I would call "dog tracking". I find the lift to be nice, clean and well thought out.

Personally, I would put more weight on what you plan to do with your JK, your mods, your type of wheeling, etc., and then go from there. For me, my build is more towards back country camping, not rock crawling, but my JK is my daily driver so it needs to work in both worlds very well. AEV was the right choice for me but YMMV.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Rock Krawler is merely our brand name. We do try to put alot of off-road ability into each and everyone of our systems, but I think you will find our handling and ride quality to be top notch! All of our JK's are dailey driver's. Jeremy even drove the Victim (our Race JK) on the highway all the time!

RK
Old 03-08-2012, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
Rock Krawler is merely our brand name. We do try to put alot of off-road ability into each and everyone of our systems, but I think you will find our handling and ride quality to be top notch! All of our JK's are dailey driver's. Jeremy even drove the Victim (our Race JK) on the highway all the time!

RK
So would you say your ride and handilng is: A) same as stock B) better than stock or C) worst ? And how will your kit handle the extra weight ? It is my DD so i am quite concerned about these things. Also will i need longer driveshaft on a 12' with this kit or not?
Old 03-08-2012, 12:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by duffyboby
Is the drive shaft a must or can i do without it at this point
For street driving you will be OK. If you plan on flexing it out off road, I would install an aftermarket drive shaft before you take it out to avoid any damage.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

My take is if you want the softest ride on road ride go with OME.

If u want the most complete, well rounded kit go with RK.

If you want a very good, but over priced kit under equipped kit go with AEV
Old 03-08-2012, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by river2c

For street driving you will be OK. If you plan on flexing it out off road, I would install an aftermarket drive shaft before you take it out to avoid any damage.
Even with a manual ?
Old 03-08-2012, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by duffyboby

Even with a manual ?
You have a manual, your good with that, trust me.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CruSHeDJkUR
My take is if you want the softest ride on road ride go with OME.

If u want the most complete, well rounded kit go with RK.

If you want a very good, but over priced kit under equipped kit go with AEV
Which lift do you have?
Old 03-08-2012, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dstock

Which lift do you have?
Current JKs

On my 12 None will be adding RK 2.5 max travel.

On my 08 AEV 4.5 DS

Previous Jeeps

On my 05 OME

On my 93 Superlift 4"

Quick Reply: Rock krawler stock mod vs aev 2.5