Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rock Krawler "Heavy Duty" Tie Rod - FAIL!!!

Old 09-10-2012, 06:08 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look up Evo Link Locks. Your idea for a set screw has been stolen.

Jam nuts on my track bar are impossible to tighten while it's on the vehicle which is super annoying.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fwiw

I just put the rk alumium tie rod on yesterday with new mopar drag link ends. I was impressed with the tie rod. The torque specs were different then oem, 63lb's to rk's 90 to 100lb's. The jam nuts seemed to be cut on a band saw that needs a little adjusting to perpendicular.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by simon

I am by no mean an inexperienced off-roader. Maybe I should have checked and adjusted for the Ackerman affect more frequently than twice a year. But if you feel that a serious accident and/or death could occur, then you must not understand car physics. If the tie rod ens separates, you WILL lose steering. If you loose the drivers side end, you could cross the center lane into oncoming traffic, not only affecting yourself, but others. Don't be foolish thinking that this cannot happen.

What I am saying is that there must be a better way to attach the ends so that it would not come off. I guarantee you that there are people out there that never check and adjust the jam nuts, never mind twice a year.

I did just have an idea though and want to pass it along for your thoughts...
What if there was a set screw in the jam nut that can be tightened for increased hold. This would allow for the changing of ends and offer increased protection from the Ackerman affect.

If this is happening, and as RK stated -- it does, something should be changed.
Lol you're hilarious man. You're totally right, in theory, it could happen, but in almost a decade of ambulance work, never come across a "tie rod" related fatality...soo we will just leave it at that.

Just admit that you put aftermarket parts on your Jeep that require frequent maintenance, more so than stock, you neglected to do so, and it subsequently caused damage to your equipment ;-)

Guess who has two thumbs and tight jam nuts on their perfectly functioning RK HD Tie Rod...THIS GUY!!
Old 09-11-2012, 07:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by FlameRedJK

Lol you're hilarious man. You're totally right, in theory, it could happen, but in almost a decade of ambulance work, never come across a "tie rod" related fatality...soo we will just leave it at that.

Just admit that you put aftermarket parts on your Jeep that require frequent maintenance, more so than stock, you neglected to do so, and it subsequently caused damage to your equipment ;-)

Guess who has two thumbs and tight jam nuts on their perfectly functioning RK HD Tie Rod...THIS GUY!!
Hahahaha. Shake aaaand bake my man. I felt like I was insensitive for minute there. Thanks for bringing the chit chat back to earth
Old 09-12-2012, 06:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by FlameRedJK

I'm glad yours is in working order. All I am saying is that it is s#!ty that this is happening to a bunch of people... you must agree. I am sure that there are people that do not check them at all. I would say it is partially their fault and partially the manufacturer's fault for not boldly stating this information.

With checking mine twice a year, I presumed that this was sufficient -- I apparently was incorrect. I don't even know how often it should be checked. How often do you check yours?
Old 09-12-2012, 06:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by EzK
Look up Evo Link Locks. Your idea for a set screw has been stolen.

Jam nuts on my track bar are impossible to tighten while it's on the vehicle which is super annoying.
Exactly! I wish I knew about these earlier. These should be on everyone's vehicle!

Click image for larger version

Name:	131_1001_03_z+evo_linx_lock+linx_lock_set.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	364937
Old 09-12-2012, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

That sucks man. They have always been super nice when I spoke with them, then again I have not had to have anything warrantied.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by hdvoodoo
That sucks man. They have always been super nice when I spoke with them, then again I have not had to have anything warrantied.
It's not that they weren't nice. I'm not trying to blast them. Granted, this warranty issue is BS. But, the purpose of this thread was to make people aware of the issue and if there was a way to correct it. Using the Evo Link Locks would correct this issue.

I would suggest to anyone/everyone that has the tie rod to order these link locks.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:20 AM
JK Freak

I had it happen to me too.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by simon

It's not that they weren't nice. I'm not trying to blast them. Granted, this warranty issue is BS. But, the purpose of this thread was to make people aware of the issue and if there was a way to correct it. Using the Evo Link Locks would correct this issue.

I would suggest to anyone/everyone that has the tie rod to order these link locks.
The warranty covers all parts except the tr and probably the drag link because these parts will and get abused the most. I believe it states this on their website.

Quick Reply: Rock Krawler "Heavy Duty" Tie Rod - FAIL!!!