Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rock Krawler "Heavy Duty" Tie Rod - FAIL!!!

Old 09-10-2012, 09:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlameRedJK
I have had the RK HD Tie Rod on my JKU for almost a year over thousands of miles with nice tight jam nuts and I have had zero problems.
I have had lots of experience dealing with RK customer service and they were great with me.

I'm calling this user error all the way.
I agree.......
Old 09-10-2012, 01:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerstien
Mine were coming loose too. U have to CRANK it with a big wrench n use loctite. I wheel mine fairly hard and they haven't come loose
Let me ask you... How often do you check yours?
Nowadays, I'll offroad every 6 months or so. I'll check every component before and afterward. This occurred within a 6 month timeframe with typical day to day driving.
This should not have happened within this timeframe.

Don't get me wrong, RK has good products, but there was a flaw with this system. As the other user mentioned, this has happened to him as well.

My issue with this is that most people don't even check it as often as i do . I just don't want anyone to die if this happens to them on a highway. There should be a better connection, whether being a completely new setup or even two jam nuts per side. Something has to change before someone dies. And as in Jeremy from RK said, this happens here and there. Someone is bound to get hurt.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:00 PM
JK Freak

My jam nuts came loose due to my error. I just cinched them. You need to put loctite on the moog threads and crank it with a 2' wrench. I wheel 3x a month and it's been on the for over a year with zero issues
Old 09-10-2012, 03:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by simon
Let me ask you... How often do you check yours?
Nowadays, I'll offroad every 6 months or so. I'll check every component before and afterward. This occurred within a 6 month timeframe with typical day to day driving.
This should not have happened within this timeframe.

Don't get me wrong, RK has good products, but there was a flaw with this system. As the other user mentioned, this has happened to him as well.

My issue with this is that most people don't even check it as often as i do . I just don't want anyone to die if this happens to them on a highway. There should be a better connection, whether being a completely new setup or even two jam nuts per side. Something has to change before someone dies. And as in Jeremy from RK said, this happens here and there. Someone is bound to get hurt.
Their is nothing wrong with tie rod, you have to adjust for the Ackerman affect. If you do not, the jam nuts will allways back off.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:47 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ryanc

Their is nothing wrong with tie rod, you have to adjust for the Ackerman affect. If you do not, the jam nuts will allways back off.
Yes I forgot that too
Old 09-10-2012, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too do not want to die. Every component of my suspension either has loctite or anti seize depending on the part. One thing I learned a long time ago is that the most important tool you can own is a torque wrench.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by c17loadmaster
I too do not want to die. Every component of my suspension either has loctite or anti seize depending on the part. One thing I learned a long time ago is that the most important tool you can own is a torque wrench.
Nobody's dying! Ha wtf. You have to turn your steering wheel all the way and then tighten the sh!t out of it. I promise you won't die. Cross my heart
Old 09-10-2012, 04:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerstien
Nobody's dying! Ha wtf. You have to turn your steering wheel all the way and then tighten the sh!t out of it. I promise you won't die. Cross my heart
I am by no mean an inexperienced off-roader. Maybe I should have checked and adjusted for the Ackerman affect more frequently than twice a year. But if you feel that a serious accident and/or death could occur, then you must not understand car physics. If the tie rod ens separates, you WILL lose steering. If you loose the drivers side end, you could cross the center lane into oncoming traffic, not only affecting yourself, but others. Don't be foolish thinking that this cannot happen.

What I am saying is that there must be a better way to attach the ends so that it would not come off. I guarantee you that there are people out there that never check and adjust the jam nuts, never mind twice a year.

I did just have an idea though and want to pass it along for your thoughts...
What if there was a set screw in the jam nut that can be tightened for increased hold. This would allow for the changing of ends and offer increased protection from the Ackerman affect.

If this is happening, and as RK stated -- it does, something should be changed.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:27 PM
JK Freak

I am by no mean an inexperienced off-roader. Maybe I should have checked and adjusted for the Ackerman affect more frequently than twice a year. But if you feel that a serious accident and/or death could occur, then you must not understand car physics. If the tie rod ens separates, you WILL lose steering. If you loose the drivers side end, you could cross the center lane into oncoming traffic, not only affecting yourself, but others. Don't be foolish thinking that this cannot happen.

What I am saying is that there must be a better way to attach the ends so that it would not come off. I guarantee you that there are people out there that never check and adjust the jam nuts, never mind twice a year.

What if there was a set screw in the jam nut that can be tightened for increased hold. This would allow for the changing of ends and offer increased protection from the Ackerman affect.

Debbie downer. Ha totally kidding. I guess I'm an optimist
Old 09-10-2012, 06:02 PM
JK Freak

Debbie downer. Ha totally kidding. I guess I'm an optimist

Quick Reply: Rock Krawler "Heavy Duty" Tie Rod - FAIL!!!