Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rock Krawler "Heavy Duty" Tie Rod - FAIL!!!

Old 09-05-2012, 07:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the Moog Tres! I have them on my Rock Krwaler drag link. They are greasable and better than stock. On RK's website they it says to buy the OeM tres but in their directions they recommend the Moogs.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:22 AM
JK Freak

I have the same tie rod and it's diesel. The female threads inside the rod itself aren't exactly a tight thread. What holds everything together is that jam nut. You have to use loctite and crank it. If no it will come loose and destroy the threads. And x2 on the moogs!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:56 AM
JK Junkie

Nice snug thread fit w/ my RK aluminum tie rod and Moog ends. Since the ends started to rust immediately I painted them w/ Marine Rustoleum, including the nuts and exposed threads.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow that's freakin nuts!
Old 09-06-2012, 01:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default tie rod

It's funny and not funny , because I had the exact same problem with mine on the exact same tie rod by the same Rock krawler on the same side and was told the same thing! this (heavy duty tie rod) is about the only part they manufacture that does not have a lifetime warrantee , and mine was 1 year and 3 weeks old wich made it 3 weeks past the warrantee period and they wouldn't do anything for me . I still think there stuff is probably ok , but the way it was handled I will never purchase there eq. again. I did have moog tie rod ends
Old 09-06-2012, 01:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't own RK stuff, but they have a good rep everywhere & seem like a solid company. Seems pretty CS to me, the guys trying to flame the guys @ RK over this & pretty unfair IMO. 1). It's not their part that's bad, right. Last time I looked they don't make TREs. 2). The problem is the jam nut worked loose, never rechecked, and the threads eventually bashed themselves away. Owner error. 3). They offered the part at a discount. They still tried to take care of you. Unless I missed something, I'm calling it like it is.

Welding it, now you have to replace the whole assy when the TRE goes bad. Why not take the discounted TRE, lok tite, mark with a paint pen & keep an eye on it like all the other stuff you should be checking under there after you take it out.

Last edited by highwayman; 09-06-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RC stuff

You , highwayman are probably correct , but my threads still look good inside of the draglink , and on the TRE ! I know , it's wierd almost as if the thread were tapped a little to big. I will eventually drill it out , weld in a bung and reinstall new TREs . Meanwhile I just went and bought a stock one and reinstalled it. I like how stock has a clamp around the threads to help it stay together , but it's not as heavy duty as the R Crawlers
Old 09-10-2012, 08:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was actually both, the tie rod threads and the end threads were damaged. I had the Moog ends, which are great. Granted, I did not check the jam nuts that frequently, but I still feel that it should have held. There should be a better way for these to stay attached. I doubt that everyone that has this tie rod/end checks it every week -- this can cause a serious accident.

To me it looks like the tie rod was tapped slightly too big. But in either case, there should be (1) a better attachment mechanism and (2) a disclaimer with BIG WRITING that these should be checked every week.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:06 AM
JK Freak

Mine were coming loose too. U have to CRANK it with a big wrench n use loctite. I wheel mine fairly hard and they haven't come loose
Old 09-10-2012, 09:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had the RK HD Tie Rod on my JKU for almost a year over thousands of miles with nice tight jam nuts and I have had zero problems.
I have had lots of experience dealing with RK customer service and they were great with me.

I'm calling this user error all the way.

Quick Reply: Rock Krawler "Heavy Duty" Tie Rod - FAIL!!!