Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rock Krawler Grease Fittings?

Old 12-21-2014, 05:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rock Krawler Grease Fittings?

I am in the process of installing a 2.5" Rock Krawler X-Factor lift. The loft instructions say that the spherical joints have extremely close tolerances and do not need grease, just WD-40, and do not come with grease fittings.

However, the box that the springs came in, had a plastic envelope containing some instructions (for the Stock Mod) and two grease fittings.

Are these fittings actually used, perhaps on the track bar?
Old 12-21-2014, 05:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
I am in the process of installing a 2.5" Rock Krawler X-Factor lift. The loft instructions say that the spherical joints have extremely close tolerances and do not need grease, just WD-40, and do not come with grease fittings.

However, the box that the springs came in, had a plastic envelope containing some instructions (for the Stock Mod) and two grease fittings.

The spherical joints that have the zip tie holding them together are the only ones that don't need to be greased. Just hose them down with the WD-40. But all the other ends that have a hole for the zerk fitting you will insert those after you set the jam nuts.

And my x-factor came with about 13-15 fittings. If you only had a couple then something is wrong.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoysRig
The spherical joints that have the zip tie holding them together are the only ones that don't need to be greased. Just hose them down with the WD-40. But all the other ends that have a hole for the zerk fitting you will insert those after you set the jam nuts.

And my x-factor came with about 13-15 fittings. If you only had a couple then something is wrong.
Same here. I got the 2.5 X-factor and each pro joint has a grease fitting. the old one didn't. think they have old directions still in there kits. bought mine about 4 months ago.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:11 AM
JK Super Freak

I'll have to call RK today just to be sure. The instructions clearly state that the threaded hole does not need a grease fitting. Which joint do they consider a Flex Joint?

MAINTAINING JOINTS
KRAWLER JOINTS (Rebuildable spherical joints):
  • Depending on use and climate, every 3-5 years is a good time to take apart the joints, replace the raceways, and re-grease and clean the internals.
  • Spray down the outside of our joints liberally with WD-40 or similar lubricant.
  • Any additional information specific to a certain generation of Krawler Joints can be found on our website. (Rockkrawler.com)

HEIM JOINTS (Non- rebuildable spherical joints)
  • Heim joints also benefit from spraying down the outside of them liberally with WD-40 or similar lubricant.
FLEX JOINTS (Rebuildable bushing joints)
  • Our Flex Joints (bushing end) will benefit from being greased routinely. If there is no grease fitting, spray the exterior of the joint with WD-40 or similar lubricant.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:41 AM
JK Super Freak

I remember reading the same thing, and having the same questions. I did find other threads that said to use the fittings where you can. For me, as many creeks as I cross I didn't want to take any chance of getting water/mud in the holes.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:01 PM
JK Junkie

Call RK for sure. Depending on the generation of product you have, there are different instructions for lubrication.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:23 PM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ShutterBug

You may have an older copy of the directions, if you have grease fittings in the bag with the directions they are to be installed into the flex joints in the track bars and the Krawler Joints in the control arms. Then you will grease them with some waterproof marine grease. They are very tight joints so they will not take much, maybe 1-2 pumps of a grease gun. We do fill the grease valley when we assemble them here so you don't have to worry about it not taking a ton of grease.

RK
Old 12-22-2014, 07:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the response, RK. Finished the install (mostly) today and I am loving the look!
Old 12-30-2015, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When attaching the greese fittings are you using blue, red lock tight , or Teflon tape to seat these in the joints?
Old 12-30-2015, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You don't need anything on those nipples going in and they don't require much torque at all. If you go after it with a 3/8" ratchet, you will break it.

Thread them in and do easy turns until they stop- you're all set. I'm in Chesapeake if you have other install questions, just did a 3.5" x factor.

Quick Reply: Rock Krawler Grease Fittings?