Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rock krawler

Old 03-30-2015, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who has a rock krawler 2.5 max travel lift? I have a stock 2014 rubicon 4 door with bf Goodrich mud-terrain 255/75/17 tires and the electronic sway bar disconnect. Is this lift kit compatible with this setup? I was going to leave these tires on for awhile and eventually buy 35's. I was wondering do I need to buy anything separate with this lift or is this all I need?
Old 03-30-2015, 04:51 PM
Former Vendor

This is a pretty comprehensive kit. Depending on where you see your build ending up may depend on if you want to upgrade at all. Ultimately it is best to have all 8 adjustable control arms however you need to make sure it makes sense to you.

To answer your question directly then yes this kit is compatible with your Jeep. You would not need to add anything as this kit comes with just about all you currently want.

PM us if you have any questions or would like a quote.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

I don't think I would ever want to go bigger seeing how this is my daily driver...I was going to run my stock rims and tires and eventually go to 35's....what shocks are recommended with this lift? I was leaning towards bilstein
Old 03-30-2015, 05:08 PM
Former Vendor

We recommend the Rock Krawler RRD shocks as they are valved to match the spring. However the Bilstien shocks are valved very close.

The Bilstien shock is a great shock especially for the money.

If you are planning on using the stock wheels you will need wheel spacers as well.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steadman
Who has a rock krawler 2.5 max travel lift? I have a stock 2014 rubicon 4 door with bf Goodrich mud-terrain 255/75/17 tires and the electronic sway bar disconnect. Is this lift kit compatible with this setup? I was going to leave these tires on for awhile and eventually buy 35's. I was wondering do I need to buy anything separate with this lift or is this all I need?
You may want to consider coil spring retainers. I had only bought them for the rear originally, and lately I've been having an issue with my front springs coming out of there perch and rotating. Not a big deal and an easy enough fix, just annoying. I picked up retainers for the front recently, just haven't installed them yet. You could go with hose clamps as a cheap solution, or just plan on fixing it every time it happens. If you're not running any bumpstops, then your springs could actually pop out on you on the trail. Point is this kit will flex nice, and you'll probably want something to keep them in place.

When you go 35's you'll want bumpstops. Unless something has changed since I purchased this lift, the bump stops aren't included.

And if you ever go aftermarket rear driveshaft, you might have to pick up a particular set of rear uppers (the shorter ones). The rear LCAs that come with the Max Travel lift are shorter whereas the ones that come with their X-factor lift are longer and move your rear axle back 1". This comes in to play if/when you go to buy rear uppers. RK will make shorter rear uppers for you if you special order them, otherwise you'll have to go with another company that offers short rear uppers to work with the shorter rear lowers that will come with that kit. I know Teraflex makes them, not sure who else. Again, you may or may not need to worry about arms if you get an aftermarket driveshaft. It worked out for me that the pinion angle was perfect for me and I didn't have to buy anything. Just something to be aware of because it came as a bit of a learning experience for me.

Only other thing I bought with the kit was coil spring wedges. Takes some of the bow out of the rear springs. You'd be fine without them I'm sure, but just something to consider as an alternative to moving the spring perches in case the bowing causes you any issues.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think I would ever want to go bigger seeing how this is my daily driver...I was going to run my stock rims and tires and eventually go to 35's....
Everyone with Bypass shocks and coil-overs, 40" tires, DANA 60's and a Hemi 5.7 probably said the same thing!
Old 03-30-2015, 05:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think I would ever want to go bigger seeing how this is my daily driver...I was going to run my stock rims and tires and eventually go to 35's....what shocks are recommended with this lift? I was leaning towards bilstein
I personally thought the ride with the Bilsteins were too harsh. I ended up changing out to Rancho 9000s adjustable and have them dialed all the way down to 1 in front and 3 in the rear. Price was right too after catching one of their "buy three get one free" deals that they offer throughout the year. I'm much happier with the Ranchos over the Bilsteins. Just my preference. Haven't had a chance to try out any other brand of shock so can't speak to them. Things might be different now that RK is using their triple rate springs. When I bought the kit they were using a dual rate spring.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

The general consensus is you don't need to replace your front driveshaft with a 2.5" lift. I had to (JKUS) with this particular kit because it was making way too much contact with my stock slid plate for my liking.

You will gain more than 2.5" if you didn't already know that, or unless RK made recent changes.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have this lift. I also have the bilsteins, proper bumpstops and spring retainers but I went right to a 35" tire, though I am on stock wheels with spydertrax. The ride is great, absorbs rolls and bumps very well. I can say that during the winter (especially here in SW Ontario with -40c temps) the bilsteins got pretty harsh, though I am not sure most every other shock would react the same way.

The quality of the RK lift is top notch. All the parts are stout and as mentioned above, you will get more than advertised unless you're already outfitted with heavy bumpers, etc. I have a JKUR and did not have to change out my drive shaft.

I'll do some digging around and see if i can post up a pic for you...

Here ya go...

Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	604108

Last edited by homeless; 03-30-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

RK now markets "different" kits for 2 doors and 4 doors.

Basically, the 2.5" 2-door kit is the old 1.5" kit. The new 3.5" 2 door kit is the old 2.5" kit, etc.

Since you have a 4 door, you'll likely gain what they advertise. Adding steel bumpers, etc. will affect it a little, however.

Quick Reply: Rock krawler