Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rock Krawler 3.5 Mid Arm vs 3.5 X Factor

Old 01-31-2012, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=sient wolf;2822836]I Love my x factor 3.5 lift!!!! Nice directions, install went smoothly, I had to re adjust the rear track bar though. Well worth the money IMO. Any questions you got just ask. I havn't takin it on the trail yet though, BUT its a smoother ride now which I like.[/QUOTE

How did you measure to get it right. when I hit a bump it goes side to side and it feels like its coming from the rear. After saying that I have not put any wieght on the rear yet. No tire or rear bumper and the front has after market bumper with the power plant winch. I was thinking it could be that because it is setting nose down right now. I had it lined up on a machine, would that tell if my axels were setting correctly.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:49 AM
JK Freak

Ordered! Thanks everyone!

Especially David @ Northridge4x4!
Old 01-31-2012, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am probably going to go with the 3.5 X Factor as well. I too would like to hear more from those with practical experience. Not knocking those who think it "kicks ass" but all in all, not very helpful. Can anyone speak to Hwy ride and stability, articulation and over-all durability? Anyone having any problems with sagging? (kind of a final shout out as I've already read a LOT of positive comments on RK products from JK Forum folks).
Old 01-31-2012, 09:27 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by CottonFire
Ordered! Thanks everyone!

Especially David @ Northridge4x4!
Which one did you order?
Old 01-31-2012, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by superjk10
hope youre not busy.. hurry up! Ive ordered mine january 4th, RK5.5 x factor with 3.5 coils, no news from it till today, i called them today and asked what was going on!? he told me he`s going to phone RK to see where its at... not shipped yet, it will be here on feb 24th.. thats sad.. but thanks to northridge for the new deal
Originally Posted by dinojeep
That's what I did, 5.5 with 3.5 coils, gives you the ult steer kit, which is nice to have at this ride height.
Originally Posted by CottonFire
What is the price to do the 5.5w 3.5 coils?
Rk has made a kit that is called the 3.5" Max Travel System http://www.rockkrawler.com/pages/cat...p?r_itemID=364, so now you don't have to ask for a custom kit by ordering the 5.5" xfactor with 3.5" springs for the ultimate steering upgrade. It is what I have on my Jeep and I love it.

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
Its kind of been mentioned earlier but besides getting the upper control arms with the X-Factor kit, the rear control arms are slightly different from the mid-arm from what I was told. The rear arms push the axle back 1" which helps center the tire more in the wheel well and helps reduce/prevent the need to trim the pinch seam on the Jeep when moving up in tire size. So, if you ever plan on going with 37's, the X-factor is kind of plug and play. If you go with the mid-arm, you will more than likely need to trim your pinch seam so the tires won't rub.

I don;t believe the mid-arm allows for this type of movement because you may be extending the RK joint end too much (over the recommneded setting) and you are not getting upper rear arms so I think your pinion angle would be all screwed up if you just adjusted the lowers.

I went with the X-factor because I needed rear upper arms due to a driveshaft mishap! But I'm glad I did because now I have a complete matching suspension and can easily move up to 37's without having to cut my Jeep up anymore than I arelady have.
Moving the rear axle back an additional inch to clear larger tires is part of the reason that I went with the xfactor kit. I don't have to trim the pinch seam if I start running 37" tires.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:48 AM
JK Newbie

I don't see the Drag Link Flip Kit listed on the 3.5" Max Travel System.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by smitty'

How did you measure to get it right. when I hit a bump it goes side to side and it feels like its coming from the rear. After saying that I have not put any wieght on the rear yet. No tire or rear bumper and the front has after market bumper with the power plant winch. I was thinking it could be that because it is setting nose down right now. I had it lined up on a machine, would that tell if my axels were setting correctly.
I did the measuring from the fender to the wheel till both sides were just about perfectly equal. I am still running stock tires right now, and shaved my weights on my tires... I don't get that feeling at all, Make sure everything is TIGHT. When I put it on, my upper control arms were moving side to side a little, but then I torqued them down as much as i could. I knocked everything with a rubber mallet to see if there was any clicking noises when I hit them. If there is, one or both of the joints have a small gap. Thats All I did. Hopes it helps out a little.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

I have the X-factor Mid arm 3.5" on my 2 door. I love it. Off road it flexes like crazy for a short arm lift. Ride on the highway is about like stock. (I have the bilstien 5100 shocks). With 35x12.50R17 tires I did not have to trim the pinch seem, but in a full stuff the back of the rear tires hits the stock rear bumper. Not bad though, not enough to catch. If I go with 37's I'll need to cut the rear bumper or replace it.

Make sure you buy the updated rear lower bump stops though. The aluminum block ones don't work with the x-factor without being modified.

Here's a couple pics.

and flex shots from getting the bump stops diald in.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fctryseald
I don't see the Drag Link Flip Kit listed on the 3.5" Max Travel System.
It is listed as "High Steer Steering Conversion" in the kit description. If you look at the picture of the components, you will see a small sleeve at the top that is above the adjustable trackbar and below the drag link. That sleeve goes in the knuckle to flip the drag link. If you look at the RK Ultimate Steering Package http://www.rockkrawler.com/pages/cat...p?r_itemID=155, you can see that package has the same parts shown in the top of the Max Travel kit picture.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DrHolliday
I have the X-factor Mid arm 3.5" on my 2 door. I love it. Off road it flexes like crazy for a short arm lift. Ride on the highway is about like stock. (I have the bilstien 5100 shocks). With 35x12.50R17 tires I did not have to trim the pinch seem, but in a full stuff the back of the rear tires hits the stock rear bumper. Not bad though, not enough to catch. If I go with 37's I'll need to cut the rear bumper or replace it.

Make sure you buy the updated rear lower bump stops though. The aluminum block ones don't work with the x-factor without being modified.

Here's a couple pics.

and flex shots from getting the bump stops diald in.

What size rear bumpstop did you use? I had the 2" aluminum blocks and like you said, they didn't work. They would hit the trackbar bracket. RK has some new bumpstops that I'm going to try. I haven't installed them yet, but they are angled and 3" instead of 2" like the aluminum blocks.

Quick Reply: Rock Krawler 3.5 Mid Arm vs 3.5 X Factor