Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rock Krawler 3.5 Max Travel, (bushings worn out?)

Old 11-19-2014, 11:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rock Krawler 3.5 Max Travel, (bushings worn out?)

The gal has a '12 JKU with what I think is a RK 3.5 max travel (if I remember right). It was installed a couple years ago. It's a stick shift and she has a lead foot along with the jackrabbit starts. I drove it the other day and the back end shifts (kind of, side to side) when I'm on and off the gas. I believe some bushings may be worn, and have not bothered to climb under and have a look as of yet (winter you know).

Does RK sell a bushing kit for periodic maintenance for their kits?
Or am I on my own to gather the worn parts that will be needed?
Any of you dealt with this issue recently?
Old 11-20-2014, 02:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had one of my front RK bushing wear out only about 1300 miles of installing the kit. I called rock krawler and sent them pics and they sent me a new one. I have been running the new one for about another 1200 miles and its starting to come apart.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2268462895.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	585044  

Last edited by GreatWhite JK; 11-20-2014 at 02:21 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:04 AM
JK Freak

That is strange, I have almost 50,000 miles and four years of wheeling and daily driving my RK x factor and one bushing wore from a bent factory mount digging into it.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Have 35k on my xfactor with no issues...

This is what they have on their website:

Flex / Krawler /Heim Joints
Old 11-20-2014, 11:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

some good information so far, thanks.

I'll keep an eye on this thread for a while
Old 11-21-2014, 10:48 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Guys

We apologize for any issue that may have happened and were backed up by the manufacturer 100% so anyone that had an issue would be taken care of 100%.

As far as any bushing wearing prematurely at this point, it has been a very rare occurrence if any. Here is our bushing warranty and we stand behind it.. Even for guys with service parts. We do like to see images of them installed in the vehicle so we can try to provide the best possible tech support as well.

There are many variables that can cause control arm bushing premature wear. Not just ours. Here are a few that some people miss.

Exhaust rerouting too close to bushings causing them to heat cycle or get too hot so they deform. On JK 2012 and up this is typically found on the DS front lower arm when exhaust spacers or something to that effect is used. The front upper arm joint at the frame has exhaust shielding on it so it is protected, but when the exhaust is moved down, very rarely do people add the shielding to the lower arm which is now susceptible to the same heat issue. The other is, the axle end joint can be misaligned causing excess stress on the control arm bushing on the frame.

Either way, we are here to help. Just give us a shout.

RK
Old 11-21-2014, 10:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's good to know. I will be crawling under and checking out what may need replacing and will shoot you a message on specifically, what I find.

thanks,

Last edited by Rayster; 11-21-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, turns out a new off-road shop opened in the area. Guy seems pretty knowledgeable, and I work two gigs and take care of property too. So we will be getting a quote and a list of what is needed. I don't mind helping a local new business if it means saving me some grief...

Just to make this clear. I have no complaints on the RK product, it rides and handles great. I really think the root cause is ... I can't say because she might read this (ha). In fact I am looking to purchase a 2.5 x factor for my 2 door shortly after Christmas.

Last edited by Rayster; 12-05-2014 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rock Krawler

Statements like that make me look forward to my next build with Rock Krawler. Had their 5.5" on my TJ long ago. Would buy again.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After a couple of years on/off road, including winter road salt, I had my rear lca bushings wear out. I sent RK a short video of the arm movement at the bushing ends, followed up with a phone call and they sent me new ones without issue. It's a benign process to replace them but with the new ones, I packed them full of synthetic grease before installing this time.

Quick Reply: Rock Krawler 3.5 Max Travel, (bushings worn out?)