Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rock Krawler 2.5 max travel

Old 04-16-2012, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rock Krawler 2.5 max travel

Just had this lift installed and now i need to get it aligned! My question is, can the lower control arms be adjusted with the jeep on the ground and would a alignment shop be able to do this? And what should my caster be set at? I was thinking 4.9 degrees?I gained about 4" over stock with this lift. THANKS GUYS!!
Old 04-17-2012, 06:07 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

We recommend 4.2 to 4.5 degrees as a nice compromise of caster and driveline angles. An alignment shop can do it if they use the compensation jack in the middle of the rack to take the weight off and adjust the arms. If they do that when you get it back make sure all the jam nuts are cranked back down because we have seen many jeeps come back from the alignment shop with less than properly torqued jam nuts which can only lead to problems. Hope that helps.

RK
Old 04-17-2012, 06:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
We recommend 4.2 to 4.5 degrees as a nice compromise of caster and driveline angles.

RK
I assume this is true for all your lifts?
Old 04-17-2012, 09:12 AM
Former Vendor

That is correct for JK's...

RK
Old 04-17-2012, 09:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
If they do that when you get it back make sure all the jam nuts are cranked back down because we have seen many jeeps come back from the alignment shop with less than properly torqued jam nuts which can only lead to problems. Hope that helps.

RK
What problems could this cause? (This is all prefaced by me stating that I do try to make sure that my jam nuts are torqued properly) But, hypothetically, if the jam nut came loose, there's nowhere for the joint/arm to go, is there? The bolt holding it to the axle is keeping everything in place, right?
Old 04-17-2012, 10:47 AM
JK Junkie

The joint threads will move inside the arm, wearing out the threads. Eventually, I imagine there would be enough slop to cause death wobble and the parts would be worn to the point that they would need replaced.

But, you're right, it wouldn't be immediately catastrophic.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:38 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlin4979

What problems could this cause? (This is all prefaced by me stating that I do try to make sure that my jam nuts are torqued properly) But, hypothetically, if the jam nut came loose, there's nowhere for the joint/arm to go, is there? The bolt holding it to the axle is keeping everything in place, right?
The joint won't come off. The jam nut is used to apply torque to the threads and prevent any movement which can wear on the threads and create slop.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Former Vendor

Those are great responses and both correct!

Jam nuts do two things;

They hold the orientation of a joint or arm!

They also apply preload to the thread section in a control arm which ensures proper fastening techniques are applied.

Over time the worst case is the threads wear out completely and either the joint strips or the bar strips. You should notice some noise and loose connection(s) way before this happens.

RK
Old 04-17-2012, 12:48 PM
JK Super Freak

That's what I thought. Just double checking. Thanks everyone and RK.

/hijack

Quick Reply: Rock Krawler 2.5 max travel