Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

rock hard rear bumper help

Old 06-26-2009, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rock hard rear bumper help

anybody thats running this thing or familiar with it have any suggestions/common solutions to get rid of the rattle? a friend and myself put it on, was pretty straight forward. from other posts it seems like a lot have ppl have had it rattle but enough dont to where it seems very fixable. i love it overall built like a tank but the rattles getting a little old, esp w the top down. thanks for any info.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tried everything I can think of , and mine rattles constantly and un-latches itself over bumps. Rock Hard has great customer service, and the bumper is very well made, but the rattling is so bad, it makes me not want to drive the jeep.
I'm looking at new bumpers now.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:58 AM
JK Junkie

Try taking out a couple of the washers running under the swing hinge so the tire carrier rests more firmly on that hard rubber block. Other than that work on the latch adjustment.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:02 AM
JK Junkie

Oh yeah, you have the swing hinge packed with as much grease as it can hold right?
Old 06-26-2009, 11:08 AM
JK Junkie

Another thought, is the striker tight?
Old 06-26-2009, 11:29 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

According to RH - they told me you have to have the gate actually rest on the nylon block ever so slightly. When you push it closed, it should just barely creep up onto it. Well, I did this and mine still rattles.

FYI, I've been trying to get mine to stop rattling for 2 years now - with no luck. And the PC faded about 1.5 years ago. He's since switched vendors for handling the PC on the bumper. Good thing because mine looks like gray instead of black.

To be fair, RH offered to replace the bumper - but I declined. I am simply going with another bumper at some point. Not for any reason other than I want to try something else. RH makes quality stuff, don't get me wrong, but I was an early adopter and I like some of the other designs that have since come out better.

I like the LOD method of latching where you can very easily adjust it. I think I'll be going that route eventually. But with $1000 invested in my RH bumper, I'm going to use it for a bit longer. I've thought about stripping the bumper down and trying to redesign the latch myself. Time will tell...
Old 06-26-2009, 12:33 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JackMac4
According to RH - they told me you have to have the gate actually rest on the nylon block ever so slightly. When you push it closed, it should just barely creep up onto it. Well, I did this and mine still rattles.

FYI, I've been trying to get mine to stop rattling for 2 years now - with no luck. And the PC faded about 1.5 years ago. He's since switched vendors for handling the PC on the bumper. Good thing because mine looks like gray instead of black.

To be fair, RH offered to replace the bumper - but I declined. I am simply going with another bumper at some point. Not for any reason other than I want to try something else. RH makes quality stuff, don't get me wrong, but I was an early adopter and I like some of the other designs that have since come out better.

I like the LOD method of latching where you can very easily adjust it. I think I'll be going that route eventually. But with $1000 invested in my RH bumper, I'm going to use it for a bit longer. I've thought about stripping the bumper down and trying to redesign the latch myself. Time will tell...
X2 Mine's on its way out, but much sooner than Jack's. Giveaway in a little over two weeks. Mine didn't rattle that much, but I really ended up seating it hard on that nylon block. So much so that I have to lift up on the carrier to open it.

Quick Reply: rock hard rear bumper help