Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rock hard cage powder vs paint and what color

Old 12-02-2015, 12:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I went with Line-X and am very happy with it, though it makes fitment much more challenging.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:44 AM
DaK
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When our cage first went in I was annoyed with it. Damn thing was everywhere around the windshield. Now? Don't even see it. Our is flame red, or as close as you can get to it in a powder coat and gloss. The reflections are not bad off of it or into the windshield.

For your cage, do a dry fit first. This is where you will do all your cutting and trimming of the jeep interior. You can google some awesome examples of some very clean installs. You do NOT want to do this after powder coating as there is a good chance something will slip and mar the finish. BUT before you even do this take a tap and clean ALL and I mean ALL the threads. There are lots of burrs from the machining process. Fit test the entire cage, this will also ensure you have all your parts. When you load up to go to the powder coaters, double/triple check to ensure you have all your collars. Know one dumbass that left two collars behind in his trunk and had to go back to the powder coaters because he is an anal ass. (yes I just wrote that). Anyways, once back from the powder coating process re tap ALL of the same threads again as the powder coat will get into the threads and be PITA during install and you do not want this frustration during install. When installing the collars start the two center bolt first, then the other 4 can be started. Tighten the outer four first in a star or cross pattern, then finish with the middle. The bolts/collars should not bind, if they do, back 'em all out and start over. Patience is a must during this stage. Blue tape is your friend, use it and be generous with it. Any questions contact their CSR. He answers emails any and all the time. If needed you can even get him on the phone.

Congrats on your cage. we love ours. we now have gauges, SPOT, tablet, GPS hanging from ours.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaK
When our cage first went in I was annoyed with it. Damn thing was everywhere around the windshield. Now? Don't even see it. Our is flame red, or as close as you can get to it in a powder coat and gloss. The reflections are not bad off of it or into the windshield. For your cage, do a dry fit first. This is where you will do all your cutting and trimming of the jeep interior. You can google some awesome examples of some very clean installs. You do NOT want to do this after powder coating as there is a good chance something will slip and mar the finish. BUT before you even do this take a tap and clean ALL and I mean ALL the threads. There are lots of burrs from the machining process. Fit test the entire cage, this will also ensure you have all your parts. When you load up to go to the powder coaters, double/triple check to ensure you have all your collars. Know one dumbass that left two collars behind in his trunk and had to go back to the powder coaters because he is an anal ass. (yes I just wrote that). Anyways, once back from the powder coating process re tap ALL of the same threads again as the powder coat will get into the threads and be PITA during install and you do not want this frustration during install. When installing the collars start the two center bolt first, then the other 4 can be started. Tighten the outer four first in a star or cross pattern, then finish with the middle. The bolts/collars should not bind, if they do, back 'em all out and start over. Patience is a must during this stage. Blue tape is your friend, use it and be generous with it. Any questions contact their CSR. He answers emails any and all the time. If needed you can even get him on the phone. Congrats on your cage. we love ours. we now have gauges, SPOT, tablet, GPS hanging from ours.
I second this. Test fit and tap everything after each process. As for paint vs powder I would go powder. I'm Anvil and they unfortunately don't have a color close to anvil so I had to paint. It looks great but I have fears of how long the paint will last in Florida sun. As for the glare it really isn't and issue once you have some color on the bars. If you are paint matching like you say then it will blend in with the hood in no time. Enjoy the cage. Here is a pic of mine from driver seat on a trail. You honestly don't see it after a week of driving.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1351629257.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	715.7 KB
ID:	631493  
Old 12-03-2015, 04:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaK
When our cage first went in I was annoyed with it. Damn thing was everywhere around the windshield. Now? Don't even see it. Our is flame red, or as close as you can get to it in a powder coat and gloss. The reflections are not bad off of it or into the windshield. For your cage, do a dry fit first. This is where you will do all your cutting and trimming of the jeep interior. You can google some awesome examples of some very clean installs. You do NOT want to do this after powder coating as there is a good chance something will slip and mar the finish. BUT before you even do this take a tap and clean ALL and I mean ALL the threads. There are lots of burrs from the machining process. Fit test the entire cage, this will also ensure you have all your parts. When you load up to go to the powder coaters, double/triple check to ensure you have all your collars. Know one dumbass that left two collars behind in his trunk and had to go back to the powder coaters because he is an anal ass. (yes I just wrote that). Anyways, once back from the powder coating process re tap ALL of the same threads again as the powder coat will get into the threads and be PITA during install and you do not want this frustration during install. When installing the collars start the two center bolt first, then the other 4 can be started. Tighten the outer four first in a star or cross pattern, then finish with the middle. The bolts/collars should not bind, if they do, back 'em all out and start over. Patience is a must during this stage. Blue tape is your friend, use it and be generous with it. Any questions contact their CSR. He answers emails any and all the time. If needed you can even get him on the phone. Congrats on your cage. we love ours. we now have gauges, SPOT, tablet, GPS hanging from ours.
U lost me in your first paragraph. R u saying at first you say lots of reflections but got totally used to it within a week?

Thanks for input guys!
Old 12-03-2015, 06:39 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Powder Coat for durability.

If you are worried about matching you jeep's color, do black or a second accent color (maybe green or go McDonald's Red). But if I had a yellow jeep, it would be a yellow cage.

I'm pretty short and have a little trouble seeing over my cage, but I got used it rather fast. Never noticed had any windshield reflections of the cage.

Your JK looks great and the cage will add some nice safety and style.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:41 PM
DaK
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wrangeler X
U lost me in your first paragraph. R u saying at first you say lots of reflections but got totally used to it within a week?

Thanks for input guys!
More with the way it frames the windshield on the sides and bottom. Eyes were just drawn to it, probably because it was new to the view. And yes, got used to it within a week.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Definitely make it yellow. Myself and my buddy both installed cages around the same time. Both white two doors. I powder coated my cage black, he painted his white to match the jeep. Now every time I see his jeep I have white cage envy. Lol. It looks so much better color matched. Lol
Old 12-12-2015, 09:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok went yellow but now... The dash bar seems way too short!!!

Experiance..??? I think this dash bar is 1" too short!!

Anyone from Rockhard listening?

Northridge 4x4
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2479863840.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	345.9 KB
ID:	632113   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3493117429.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	352.0 KB
ID:	632114  
Old 12-12-2015, 11:07 PM
JK Newbie

I believe Sok had that issue when he installed his... and he fought with them for more than a few weeks.

Good luck...
Old 12-13-2015, 02:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Wrangeler X
Ok went yellow but now... The dash bar seems way too short!!! Experiance..??? I think this dash bar is 1" too short!! Anyone from Rockhard listening? Northridge 4x4
Buddy of mine said to leave the side posts unfastened, and ratchet strap them to make the horizontal bar fit.

Quick Reply: Rock hard cage powder vs paint and what color