Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

rock hard 4x4 skid plates

Old 01-04-2008, 06:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seer1
I think the issue is with the engine skid going over the top of the transfer case skid. I think it caused the engine skid to go up at the wrong angle butting it into the front of the pan. Bly, did yours come with instructions? Would you mind posting a pic of the front brackets? Hell maybe I put'em on wrong, but that's the only way I could get them to work with that front lip against the oil pan. The fact I was installing it in an unheated garage 15-20 degrees F with a fever of 101 didn't help either.

As far as the sliders go, you'll need to remove the front two bottom bolts on each side and loosen the first two side bolts on each side as well. It's really tough to re-tighten those side ones. That's why I suggested getting new tab nuts. And no, there was no way in hell I was going to touch those back bolts. Also, you'll need a good pry bar and hammer to get the skids slid under the tabs of the sliders.
I didnt get the transfer case skid yet. I just installed the factory one back over top of the rock hard. That couldve been why yours angled up more and mine didnt. I bolted the brackets to the brackets the motor mount attach to. I used the holes towards the front of the jeep. Mine didnt come with instructions, so I just guessed. Thats where they lined up at, so thats where I bolted them. I will try and get some pics for you tomorrow too. I did email them right away about the instructions. They got back to me the next morning and said they didnt write any yet. They gave me a very brief install summary over email, but the guy answering the email admitted he hasnt really installed it yet. He told me to call them and ask for Sam. He would be able to answer any install questions. 308-750-4690
Old 01-05-2008, 07:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bly109
I didnt get the transfer case skid yet. I just installed the factory one back over top of the rock hard. That couldve been why yours angled up more and mine didnt. I bolted the brackets to the brackets the motor mount attach to. I used the holes towards the front of the jeep. Mine didnt come with instructions, so I just guessed. Thats where they lined up at, so thats where I bolted them. I will try and get some pics for you tomorrow too. I did email them right away about the instructions. They got back to me the next morning and said they didnt write any yet. They gave me a very brief install summary over email, but the guy answering the email admitted he hasnt really installed it yet. He told me to call them and ask for Sam. He would be able to answer any install questions. 308-750-4690
You're a prince Bly. Thanks. That sounds pretty much the same thing I did. Along with the angle from the transfer skid, I also think the brackets were cut and drilled a tad short. I have yet to get a good angle with my camera and I'm wanting to yank that skid today as we've got a huge storm bearing in on us. I'd like to get it off before I have to go driving in it. I'll get some picts, no guarantee on quality, taken and posted before I pull it.
Thanks again and cheers
Old 01-05-2008, 08:07 AM
JK Junkie

Ok, Here are the best pics I could get of the Brackets. I measured from bolt center to bolt center too. Driver's side was about 11.25" and Pass 10.25" I know I read on another thread that somebody had called rockhard and they were having bracket length issues. I think that was for lifted and unlifted jeeps, but maybe they are having more issues then they realize since this product just came out.

Passenger Side

Driver's

Driver's
Old 01-05-2008, 08:26 AM
JK Junkie

I ended up bolting the brackets to the outside of the skid as inside would have pulled it even more (impossibly) up against the oil pan. I'm still trying to imagine how a lift would affect the brackets as the lift pushes either the suspension downward, or the body up. To paraphrase Led Zep, doesn't The Frame Remain The Same?
I could see how you may have to adjust things to accommodate the steeper drop of the drive shafts in the taller lifts though.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:36 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by seer1
I ended up bolting the brackets to the outside of the skid as inside would have pulled it even more (impossibly) up against the oil pan. I'm still trying to imagine how a lift would affect the brackets as the lift pushes either the suspension downward, or the body up. To paraphrase Led Zep, doesn't The Frame Remain The Same?
I could see how you may have to adjust things to accommodate the steeper drop of the drive shafts in the taller lifts though.
I had plenty of room to mount the brackets to the inside of the skid. If I get out there again today, I'll measure the clearance. If I were you, Id be giving those guys a call, yours just doesnt sound right.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:07 PM
JK Junkie

Talked with Sam at Rock Hard today and he felt it was probably a start up that was bent a little off and got by QC. A very nice fellow. He told me to yank it off and send it back and he'd send me a new one. Guess I'll wait for the blizzard to subside.

Quick Reply: rock hard 4x4 skid plates