Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

rock hard 4x4 skid plates

Old 12-08-2007, 09:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Warranty issues

Originally Posted by CarFanatic
What lifetime warranty issue would these pose?

I do think 1000 is steep aswell. I"ll prolly wait abit to see what else comes out. I"m new to the 4x4 stuff, so I wont be on any thing extreem yet, but I do think skid plates rank high on the must have list. Definaltly worried about protecting the oil pan.
You don't want the mounting points to be to the actual motor block because if you get hung on a rock then ALL the weight of the front end (or whole jeep) will be transferd to the motor mounts...NOT GOOD!

Now, if the engine/oil pan skid has been redesigned to mount to the motor mount weldments ( AKA the motor mount brackets ) then the jeeps weight will be transferd to the frame and all shoud be well and good with the warranty gods.

BWR
Old 12-09-2007, 04:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After the 3" Black Diamond lift install (4.5" front, 2" rear), I put about ½” in spacers between the side rail mounts and the auto transmission skidder, and took the grinder to anything that looked like it might come in contact under full flex. Granted, the oil pan is still vulnerable but the factory skid covers the tranny, and both lower catalytic converters have a bit of protection. Need to figure out how to protect the oil pan without dropping more cash than $0.50/lb buys at the steel scrap bin.

For "yous guys" that have manual trannys, no such luck with the built-in protection.

(sorry for the "Youper" reference. For those of you who understand, my condolences)
Old 12-26-2007, 12:15 PM
JK Super Freak

So.... Anyone installed these skid plates yet?

js.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YmansJK
engine skid does not work without a lift when using a automatic transmission. New brackets are being made and shipped out to those who already got that skid. Can't tell you how I know but I do.
So, does that mean people on future orders will either get brackets for a lift or no lift, but will have to purchase additional brackets later?

Thank you for posting this. I was considering biting the bullet and ordering the engine skid in the next day or two, but I think now I'll wait to see how this shakes out.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:40 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jsmoriss

js.
I just got the oil/trans skid and will be installing it tomorrow. I'll let ya know. I think Seer1 got the whole kit.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RipperMan
..This is probably $30 in materals - i am tired of getting scorched

http://project-jk.com/wp-gallery2.php?g2_itemId=35913

$30??? do you know how much steel there is??? do you have any idea how much steel costs these days??

besides its a quality product and a lot of engineering went into them, they are well worth the money

Rockhard products are top notch
Old 12-26-2007, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gotta love the crayola theme
Old 12-30-2007, 10:38 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jsmoriss

js.
I finally got to put the oil/trans skid on today. The install was fairly self-explanatory, even without any directions. A few of the bolts were a pain in the ass to get at, but not impossible. It seems very solid and covers everything. The factory transfer case skid fits fine with this skid too. I cant wait to test it out this weekend!
Old 12-31-2007, 07:47 AM
JK Jedi

Does anyone have the evap canister skid plate? I ordered one today and I am wondering how thick it is.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Here's a shot of mine. Don't know exactly the gauge steel used, but it's around 1/8". I needed to bend the back mount a bit to align the holes. Just clamped in the vise and gave a good yank. After a trial fit, I clamped it in the vise and gave it a gentle yank back -went too far. It does give a little, but the front gusset makes the business end quite solid. The sides are turned up a little giving it extra strength. I'd say it's much better than having an exposed evap canister, and WAY easier than relocating it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1437_1.JPG
Views:	608
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	5063

Quick Reply: rock hard 4x4 skid plates