Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

rock hard 4x4 skid plates

Old 10-12-2007, 01:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought that too... but no one else has any made yet
Old 10-12-2007, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up Rock hard Skids

Brendan,

I talked with Louie at Rock hard yesterday and he said ALL 4 skid plates are gonna be $1,000. Sounds high but it really is reasonable if you consider labor and materials to make all 4 of the plates. I am reserving a set for my JK.

Louie said he is also changing the mounting points for the front of the tranny skid ( yellow ) to mount at the motor mount brackets instead of on the motor block. He agreed to change them when I brought up the life time warranty issue.

I think they will be worth every penny!!!

paul
Old 10-12-2007, 11:31 PM
JK Super Freak

$1000 is nuts.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's something I can't make for myself, it'll open up some entirely new routes for me and it's about the same price as a major repair if I try to take one of those rides now... I think I'm in love.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Really need to do something about those exposed bolts. you would be amazed at how one bolt can hang you up, much less, multiple ones and for 1000, I would expect totally smooth transitions
Old 10-13-2007, 03:24 PM
JK Newbie

Wow! Very pricey considering the design shortcomings(exposed bolt heads) and the fact that any one with basic skills in metal work and/or the availability of a cheap fab shop can design their own for less.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CarFanatic
I thought that too... but no one else has any made yet

precisely why I would wait on them. I agree with the fact that they do not have recessed holes for mounting. Eventually, more companies will come out with them and we wont have to pay so much. I am never going to buy the first run of any product again. they usually make a couple revisions before they get it right.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default JK Skids

what are people saying about these? I called and they will ship in 3 weeks...
interest? Besides pricey...This is probably $30 in materals - i am tired of getting scorched

http://project-jk.com/wp-gallery2.php?g2_itemId=35913

Last edited by myorbital91; 10-13-2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bluewaterrider
Brendan,

I talked with Louie at Rock hard yesterday and he said ALL 4 skid plates are gonna be $1,000. Sounds high but it really is reasonable if you consider labor and materials to make all 4 of the plates. I am reserving a set for my JK.

Louie said he is also changing the mounting points for the front of the tranny skid ( yellow ) to mount at the motor mount brackets instead of on the motor block. He agreed to change them when I brought up the life time warranty issue.

I think they will be worth every penny!!!

paul
What lifetime warranty issue would these pose?

I do think 1000 is steep aswell. I"ll prolly wait abit to see what else comes out. I"m new to the 4x4 stuff, so I wont be on any thing extreem yet, but I do think skid plates rank high on the must have list. Definaltly worried about protecting the oil pan.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rock Hard Engine/Transmission Skid Plates

Anyone have experience yet with the Rock Hard skid plates? The Engine/Transmission plate covers more than the Skid Row unit does. They claim there are no stock driveline issues up to 40" of flex. Also looks like they addressed the exposed bolts with tapered protectors. Still exposed, but at least it looks like there's something between the bolts and the rocks.

Trying to justify the extra $100 over the Skid Row unit.

BTW - my stock tranny skid plate doesn't clear the driveshaft at full flex. I have the Black Diamond 3" lift, but really it's more like a 4/2 lift. In fact the front is now up 4 5/8" over stock, and the back is almost exactly 2". Not hijacking the thread, just wanted to point out that lifts can have more "lift" than advertised. The drive line couldn't clear the stock skid. Saw comments on smacking the Skid Row unit. Hoping the Rock Hard skidder will be what I'm looking for.

PS - I'm really not into puzzles - if the rock don't fit, you must let the plate take the hit! (bad O.J. reference, sorry).

Quick Reply: rock hard 4x4 skid plates