Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rock Hard 4x4 Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier; are you pleased?

Old 06-01-2011, 12:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rock Hard 4x4 Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier; are you pleased?

I recently added this to my Jeep. I will see if I can upload a photo from my phone.

I ambivalent about it.

I like the look and the function. With that said, lets talk about what I don't like.

It was very difficult to mount the new bumper onto my Jeep. Part of that is because I am not highly mechanically inclined. One of the eight bolts crossthreaded and ended up that way. It feels like it is in soild, but I dislike that fact that it is not in completely and correctly. However, this bolt was a center bolt behind the muffler. (Difficult spot to work not matter what system you use.)

Their powder coating is poor. It scraped off easily without much effort while installing. Just about any place it was bumped, it scraped. I expected more from a powder coating. I might have too high of expectations for a powder coating.

Three of the basket welds began to rust after one week and one large rain storm. This really bugs me. Especially for what they charge for their basket, I expect it not to rust for a while.

Also, the joint says to fill with grease until the spacers pop out and then remove the zirck fitting and let out extra pressure then push the spacers back in with a screwdriver. Well, unfortunately, my bottom dust cover blew out and then became damaged when putting it back on. I ended up taking the entire thing off and reshaping the dust rign/cover until it fit again and then putting it all back together. Since then, it is much more difficult to unlatch the swing. Not sure why, I have not had the time to investigate.

Also, the third brake light. I have installed and reinstalled it twice and cannot get it to work. Not sure why. I will have to now take it apart again and see where the power interupt is and why it is not working. I will also check to make sure I did not blow a fuse. The regular brake lights work just fine.

Over all, I am pleased with the function of the set up. However, I will not recommend this system to anyone secondary to the poor joint system and poor powder coating. If the price was as buget as the quality, then it would be a better value.

As well, I forgot, as I have not completed this yet, you have to drill your own holes for the third light as the predrilled holes are too small and your bolts snap in two when trying to tighten them.

The large rubber spacer that touches the bar across the door when closed, you have to drill your own holes.

I guess I am most disturbed about the joint and the coating second. Na, it all bugs me, I have more than $1800.00 into this system, I expect better.

Displeased and do not recommend this system.

-John
Old 06-01-2011, 01:03 PM
JK Freak

Not sure if this worked.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:05 PM
JK Freak

Did the photos come through?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110601_150344.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	166850   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110601_150422.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	166851  
Old 06-01-2011, 01:05 PM
JK Freak

Hey, hey, I did it.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes It was hard to install, and I have the same cross threaded bolt as you do. I am happy for the most part with mine. it has taken a beating and I have not been able to put a dent in it yet. I agree that the powder coat is a little weak, my smitybilt coating on my front bumper has held up better. I have had no problems with my joint and dont have the basket or break light so I cannot comment on thoes. I bought this bumper because I wanted the THICKEST STRONGEST bumper I could buy and that is what I got. I would contact them regarding the rust and joint issues im sure they would gladly sent you out a couple new parts.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:02 AM
JK Freak

Perhaps I was a bit hard. The bumper works well and does the job it was hired to do. I like the look as well. I am just displeased with their poor powder coating.

It seems to hold the weight of my tire, full fuel can, full tool box, shovel and antena, so far. I have put anything in the basket yet. Don't think I will use the basket while on the road, but moreover to give me more room in the Jeep when I am on the trail.

-John

Quick Reply: Rock Hard 4x4 Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier; are you pleased?