Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Road wobble on newly lifted Rubicon Unlimited 10th Anniversary

Old 05-01-2014, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dropped 6k on the lift, wheel, tires and new trektop nx twill. So you are right probably wouldn't/couldn't have dropped more.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 13RubiUnlimited10A
I dropped 6k on the lift, wheel, tires and new trektop nx twill. So you are right probably wouldn't/couldn't have dropped more.
wow! Too much for a half ass job. :(
Old 05-01-2014, 03:42 PM
JK Freak

My buddy just put in a 3 inch Pro Comp lift. It road horrible and flighty. I gave him my AEV control arm drop brackets to get his front arms back to a neutral and factory length stance. He immediately noticed a much better ride even without an alignment. For $99 it will be great for your wife's daily driver.
For you and a future Jeep; I would stay clear if Pro Comp, Skyjacker and Rpugh Country if you want a true rig for off-road, durability, and $ well spent.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Dang. We would have led you differently.

Those ubber stiff load range E tires are designed for lifted diesel trucks that weigh 2k lbs more than your jeep and tow 15k lbs.

Your wheels and tires run about $700 each, mounted and balanced. So, $3500. (You could have run wheel spacers with your stock wheels and 35x12.50R17s for $2,000. With the $1500 saved, you could have regeared the axles to make up for the lost performance of the larger tires.)

The lift is a low dollar, incomplete, less than $700 lift--even including the upgraded steering stabilizer. (For $700, you could have had a nice 2.5" lift that was complete and handled great.)

The top would have cost $600.

Parts total $4800.

That leaves $1200.

Hopefully, they did exhaust spacers and some sort of tuner or calibrator to adjust your speedometer.

At the very minimum, at this point you need front control arm drop brackets and an adjustable front trackbar.

Rancho makes a control arm drop bracket, part #RS6250B for about $140 that could tie you over for a mostly street driven vehicle.

The JKS front adjustable trackbar is about $190, part OGS121.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^this is why this site is so useful. Ask BEFORE you buy and save $, frustration, and headaches. Some great advice here. And a guy that loves his Jeep AND his wife deserves the best!

Last edited by ShakyJake; 05-01-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
Dang. We would have led you differently.

Those ubber stiff load range E tires are designed for lifted diesel trucks that weigh 2k lbs more than your jeep and tow 15k lbs.

Your wheels and tires run about $700 each, mounted and balanced. So, $3500. (You could have run wheel spacers with your stock wheels and 35x12.50R17s for $2,000. With the $1500 saved, you could have regeared the axles to make up for the lost performance of the larger tires.)

The lift is a low dollar, incomplete, less than $700 lift--even including the upgraded steering stabilizer. (For $700, you could have had a nice 2.5" lift that was complete and handled great.)

The top would have cost $600.

Parts total $4800.

That leaves $1200.

Hopefully, they did exhaust spacers and some sort of tuner or calibrator to adjust your speedometer.

At the very minimum, at this point you need front control arm drop brackets and an adjustable front trackbar.

Rancho makes a control arm drop bracket, part #RS6250B for about $140 that could tie you over for a mostly street driven vehicle.

The JKS front adjustable trackbar is about $190, part OGS121.
What this guy said.

You might also check out 4wd.com They have Rock Krawler Adjustable Bomb Proof Trackbars for $141 and they are a very reputable company with an awesome warrant (I don't even run them, but I respect them).

Rock Krawler Part RK02024 - Bomb Proof Front Track Bar

Between the the adjustable track bar and a relocation bracket you should be golden.

I will say that your 20's do look better than most. I like the black on black look.

But you let your wife drive your jeep! Thats why I bought a manual... to prevent sacrilege like that.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:57 PM
JK Super Freak

How about an update buddy?

Quick Reply: Road wobble on newly lifted Rubicon Unlimited 10th Anniversary