Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

on road suspension question

Old 01-31-2010, 06:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink on road suspension question

you might all think I am crazy, but I did not by my '08 2dr X to run off road. As a matter of fact, it will never rock climb, mud, or anything else off road. I use it mostly for winter driving in the northeast. I am more of a sports car driver and when the weather is nice, I drive my '87 Porsche.

Anyway, my question is whether there are any suspension kits out there that give our vehicles much better on road handling characteristics. I am willing to give up a lot of the vehicle's off road capabilities to gain on road handling.

This is my first jeep so I am not very experienced with what is out there. Your help is very much appreciated.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:17 AM
JK Super Freak

I suspect most of the answers you get will be about stuff that really is designed to improve off road capability.

If you put on rubi springs and shocks you will get a much stiffer ride and I do not believe that it will improve you on road handling.

I suspect the best road manners will be to keep is stock and anything else you tend to do will mean some sort of lift which raises the CG of the vehicle.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:20 AM
JK Freak

imho good handling and wrangler dont fit in the same phrase
Old 01-31-2010, 07:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Yes - keep it stock and get some good tires for snow and ice. Lots of comments here on the forum, but keep in mind most are looking for good snow and ice as well as offroad. You have different needs and an all-terrain or dedicated snow and ice tire will probably be what you want.

Most if not all available suspension mods are meant to improve off road performance as stated above and will usually be a compromise onroad for handling.

Get better headlights too if you are driving a lot at night.

There was an older thread about onroad suspension you might be able to find on the search feature.

Like the other poster said, I think you will start climbing a curb here or there, then a snowbank, then you'll be hooked like the rest of us!
Old 01-31-2010, 07:35 AM
JK Super Freak

He will never get hooked cause he has his 87 Porsche

I bet by his 100th post he will be posting pics in the trails & tails section.

The good news for him is he now has the best of both worlds. Fast and crawl.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:30 AM
JK Jedi

If you wanted a SUV for the street you should of bought a Land Rover. Never say never. Jeeping is a Drug.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:36 AM
JK Super Freak

drive the jeep on road and the porsche off road :rotfl mao2:
Old 01-31-2010, 12:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rsboston
you might all think I am crazy, but I did not by my '08 2dr X to run off road. As a matter of fact, it will never rock climb, mud, or anything else off road. I use it mostly for winter driving in the northeast. I am more of a sports car driver and when the weather is nice, I drive my '87 Porsche.

Anyway, my question is whether there are any suspension kits out there that give our vehicles much better on road handling characteristics. I am willing to give up a lot of the vehicle's off road capabilities to gain on road handling.

This is my first jeep so I am not very experienced with what is out there. Your help is very much appreciated.
This sounds like you are willing to lower your JK which is the traditional way of improving handling.

Fortunately this is not necessary. Try to find someone with the AEV 3.5" Premium lift kit that will let you drive it and you be the judge.

The progressive coils coupled with the tune Bilstein 5100s will give you a relatively plush ride on the road that firms up as the going get rough (if it ever does).

The drag link flip kit will correct steering geometry to minimize bump steer and the brackets will optimize the relationship between the roll center and the CG which is the real secret sauce of this kit that provides outstanding handling and steering.

Unfortunately, 3.5-4.0" of lift may be too much for your other needs.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:56 PM
JK Freak

I have had my Jeep a week tomorrow. Sure, I said I won't do much off road. Well, I'm looking at mudder tires now and a trail. I'm already hooked and I've only driven it 3 times.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rsboston

As far as tires are concerned check out Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow. I had a set on an X5 for a couple of winters and was happy with their performance.

Quick Reply: on road suspension question