Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Road noise from aggressive tires

Old 11-15-2007, 07:37 AM
wgr
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on what you have get used to. I have been running on two sets of BFG MudTerrains and also two sets of tires with Simex ExtremeTrekker threads on and Simex is way more loud. But not too loud in my JK as compared to the sound they made in defenders. JK has a good insulations. I am able to communicate with normal voice and it does not bother me at all, i mean this background noise what they are making as it is a whisper to my ears that i am able to go offroad any time i wish to do so. Vibrations from big lugs belong to this business, and at certain speeds they are noticeable but disappear just by chancing a speed a bit.
Mine are not original Simex tires just a cheaper rethread versions they make at portugal but anyway with same greatworking thread size being 33" .

Last edited by wgr; 11-15-2007 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SpudRacer
A twist on the same theme... I'm planning to eventually upgrade to ProComp Xterrain 35x12.50/17 tires. Has anyone any experience with these tires. Are they as loud as, say, Super Swamper Thornbirds or BF Goodrich Mud T/As?

Tom
Bryson City, NC
I ran swamper TSL/SX's on my YJ. Sounded like a Cessna on the road. I've heard Thornbirds and they sounded the same. IMHO Both are great off road tires. Sound wise, on road, both are equally bad. The JK hard top would make little difference. The BFG MT's are a good compromise for me. The perform "good enough" off road and do not have the sound or vibration characteristics of the swampers. Don't get me wrong, I loved my swampers for off road. But, I am going back to BFG MT's for both good enough offroad and good onroad. The BFG's will start to "sing" as they wear. For me, that has been about 35K mi.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

MTZ's=definitely louder than the stock Goodyear SRA's that came on mine, but who cares? It's a Jeep! You can FEEL the tread, though. They are great tires, though!
Old 11-15-2007, 07:14 PM
JK Freak

How do the BFG MTs compare to the Toyo MTs? I have read both are great tires.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:35 PM
JK Freak

^ I would like to know the answer to this as well.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:50 PM
JK Super Freak

I can't compare the Toyos to BFGs, but can tell you I love the Toyos. I've used Super Swamper SSRs on my TJ and like the Toyos better. The road noise on the Toyos is very good in my opinion. I haven't had the hardtop off with them though.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:21 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

im running mickey mtz's 265-70-17 good tire not to loud good in mud sand rain originally had on my f 250 dsl and i could hear them in it wear great have about 25000 miles on them tread still looks like it did when i bought them
Old 01-03-2008, 08:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do not get the Pro Comp X-Terrains. They are great until about 60% tread life. Then the fun begins! They are louder than my first wife, and wear even worse.

I run 35 x12.5x17 Pro Comp Xtreme All Terrains and love them. VERY quiet (dare I say as quiet as the OEM Goodyears) and they wear forever. Off road they are actually quite sticky for an AT tire and do very well in snow.

Quick Reply: Road noise from aggressive tires