Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

On-Road Extremely Rough

Old 03-23-2011, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On-Road Extremely Rough

Moved to the city and the roads are horrible. I have the Rough Country 2.5" Coil Lift with RC 2.2 Shocks with Stock Arms. What would be the best way to improve the ride?

There are some obvious solutions like long arms.. but looking for some other suggestions.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Get different shocks like bilsteins or old man emu. The shocks on my rc lift were blown in 3 months. I replaced the lift with a teraflex because I was so unhappy with RC
Old 03-23-2011, 07:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigljking
Get different shocks like bilsteins or old man emu. The shocks on my rc lift were blown in 3 months. I replaced the lift with a teraflex because I was so unhappy with RC
thats the common trend, or move out of the city
Old 03-23-2011, 10:58 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Bigger tires at lower psi?
Old 03-23-2011, 11:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X2 on the tire pressure. What tires are you running? Let a few lbs out of the tires, that should help a bit.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the biggest change anyone can make to ride comfort is the tires....you can change your shocks all you want and I don't believe you will ever find a shock affect ride comfort as much as your tires or springs will...unless of course you are running a ridiculously stiff shock that doesn't belong on a passenger vehicle to begin with
airing down may help a little, but it's your tire design being 35" KM2's... Load Range D or E ...I can't remember which they are...that most likely are transmitting more through their stiff sidewalls than a lighter load tire with less sidewall stiffness would
Old 03-24-2011, 03:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

A few things that improved my ride quality and handling with 35" tires

OME LT shocks, they are very responsive to road imperfections.
AEV control arm relocation brackets, levels out the control arm angle.

I hated the road feedback thru the steering wheel, had the wobbles bad.
Over the knuckle high steer kit, trackbar relocation bracket on axle with beilstien steering dampener, 100% improvement !
Old 03-24-2011, 05:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I made a mistake when installing my lift. You need to loosen all control arm bolts and track bar bolts. Then bounce the bumpers at ride height with the tires on the ground. Then re-torque all bolts and re-torque after 400 miles. If you didn't do this it will make a difference
Old 03-24-2011, 05:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Ome long travel! Psi and AT tires. Can't get a better ride than that.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 09GRNJK
Moved to the city and the roads are horrible. I have the Rough Country 2.5" Coil Lift with RC 2.2 Shocks with Stock Arms. What would be the best way to improve the ride?

There are some obvious solutions like long arms.. but looking for some other suggestions.
Check your tire pressure first and ignore the RC haters. I ran one for 2+ years and the only ride issue I had was when the shop had my tires at 60psi on 33's. If you running above 30psi on 35's, your ride will be crap.

Quick Reply: On-Road Extremely Rough