Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rk tie rod nut

Old 02-26-2013, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rk tie rod nut

Just about to hit 100k on my jk and my tie rods are shot. Getting pretty scary on the road. So I ordered a new Rock Krawler tie rod with mopar tie rod ends at the drag link. The ends are here and the rod should be in by Friday.

My question is what size nut goes on the tie rod? Anyone who has ordered them knows they don't come with nuts and I'm just wondering what everyone ended up running. Are you guys using nylock nuts? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts

I know that RK sells the jam nuts needed for this. I purchased them just a couple of weeks ago.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

The rod should come with the Jam nuts from Rk. I need to but the nuts that connect the tie rod ends to the knuckle. I can't find info on the diameter/thread of the TRE stud. And seeing as they are larger than the stock tie rods, I don't already have them. Not to mention the ones on there are junk after 100k and a lot of rocks.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts

okay, I misunderstood. Perhaps take one of the current nuts on your rig to the hardware shop to get the correct size and thread count? (assuming you have an alternate vehicle to do that with). I had forgotten that I had to re-use the TRE nuts.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:29 PM
JK Junkie

Am I missing something here? The tie rod calls for 2 TRE's that are the TRE from the pitman arm, we agree on that - correct? When mine was installed, I didn't need any additional hardware....so, what's the question? Trying to help out, but seem to be misunderstanding....
Old 02-26-2013, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

So the nuts from the stock TREs fit the studs of the TREs at the pitman arm? I was just assuming because they were different they used different nuts. If that's not the case then I'm all set.

Last edited by c4bus; 02-26-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:48 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by c4bus
So the nuts from the stock TREs fit the studs of the TREs at the pitman arm? I was just assuming because they different they used different nuts. If that's not the case then I'm all set.
Yes, you should be fine. The pitman arm TRE's use the stock nuts from the stock TRE's off the stock tie rod. No additional nuts/hardware needed.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What ^^ said.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys. That a big help. Saves me a trip to the hardware store.

Quick Reply: Rk tie rod nut