Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rk krawler joint

Old 11-09-2019, 09:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
The design of the joints are to provide the best flexibility in a low friction setup. They would work but like Dirtman stated they are a poor design. Unfortunately, Jeeps go through mud, sand, dirt and they all get in the joint and eat it away so yes I would believe a few thousand miles and they are shot. Just go back to a Johny Joint or similar.
I would agree with you if i have gone off the road but still shouldn't the kit be designed to handle such conditions or what's the point of the hole kit then
Old 11-10-2019, 06:04 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by G.A.H
I would agree with you if i have gone off the road but still shouldn't the kit be designed to handle such conditions or what's the point of the hole kit then
yes it should no doubt about it.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 476 Likes on 427 Posts

I have had HEIM style suspension components on high po muscle cars and ended up changing them back to something that resembled stock. Even street use will chew them out quickly. the only way they survive is to seal the side areas where dirt can get in. Why do you think we have rubber cups on ball joints, tie rod ends and CV joints. If I had my way I would make a HEIM style joint legal only for offload and racing use.
The kits you buy, if setup correctly, work great in the initial timeframe but what I said above. Grease even attracts more dirt and grime.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
I have had HEIM style suspension components on high po muscle cars and ended up changing them back to something that resembled stock. Even street use will chew them out quickly. the only way they survive is to seal the side areas where dirt can get in. Why do you think we have rubber cups on ball joints, tie rod ends and CV joints. If I had my way I would make a HEIM style joint legal only for offload and racing use.
The kits you buy, if setup correctly, work great in the initial timeframe but what I said above. Grease even attracts more dirt and grime.
I get that dirt will ruin the joints and that ball joints and other things have dust boots on them for this reason but that doesn't justify that what happened with my joints is normal cause i don't think an OFF ROAD lift kit is designed in a way that if you use your jeep off road or go mudding you'll have to replace the joints or take them apart and clean them or replace the bushing because dirt went inside the joint, and i think the reason that they use races that have tight tolerances other then reduce vibration is to keep dirt and things out, and having a polished ball will also help in a way that dirt particles won't be able to catch on the surface of the ball and get pushed into the joint and will reduce wear. It's a problem with the design maybe feels more of a quality and fit and finish problem and shouldn't be normal as a lift kit should at least last a couple years with normal maintenance.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:27 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Here is a simple video that was just uploaded not too long ago regarding the joint rebuild instructions. In this video you will see all the details of the Krawler Joints that have been added over the years. Yes, there are flats in the retainers to engage the set screws. This feature was added years ago. More recently the race ways were retooled. The new tooling features a next Gen thermoelastomer from BASF that includes friction modifiers and friction breaks. Also, you will see the grease grooves that have been added to allow for conventional grease as noted in the video for rebuilding, what to use for each location, how to determine which ones you have etc. These updates make the Krawler Joint much more consumer friendly.

Creep is a normal thing with joint races, wether it be a JJ, MC Joint or our joints. Race materials will undergo this. It is normal to see some deformation of the shoulder of pro flex bushings for the self aligning end on the outside as that should only adds support to the outer edges of the ball to self align or return the arm to its normal orientation. The only time a joint is bad is if there is radial play or on a self aligning joint the joint itself has radial play nor returns the arm to its standard orientation.

Quick Reply: Rk krawler joint