Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rk krawler joint

Old 11-08-2019, 09:39 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, this thread came back from the dead, just got an alert on it, wish I had gotten one yesterday.

Gergi, we have been emailing and I won't put anything different here than what is in our emails, I'm very plain and transparent. You said in emails that the ball was easy to move but without radial play, here you are saying that you have radial play, being easy to move is not indicative of a bad joint, having radial play is. Demonstrate that in a video and we will get a replacement part on it's way to you. The warranty process is simple but any issue needs to be substantiated through photo/video evidence.

Adam C
Old 11-08-2019, 09:47 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Back from the dead? It was started yesterday.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:31 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

warranty process was anything but simple for me. jump thru one hoop and another and another until finally given a measurement to take and when that measurement was provided it was "oh our engineers said that was the wrong measurement".
Old 11-08-2019, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
Wow, this thread came back from the dead, just got an alert on it, wish I had gotten one yesterday.

Gergi, we have been emailing and I won't put anything different here than what is in our emails, I'm very plain and transparent. You said in emails that the ball was easy to move but without radial play, here you are saying that you have radial play, being easy to move is not indicative of a bad joint, having radial play is. Demonstrate that in a video and we will get a replacement part on it's way to you. The warranty process is simple but any issue needs to be substantiated through photo/video evidence.

Adam C
Yeah i know but you just left me hanging and never replied back and i did send you a video before that shows radial movement and now i sent you another one but what concerns me the most is that the joints are starting to fail too soon from the trackbar joint now the rear upper arm joint and I'm sure soon enough the rear lower joints are going to fail because of how loose they are now all i want is to get this thing fixed and be done
Old 11-09-2019, 04:52 AM
JK Newbie

Hii here's a pocture of the rear lower joint and you can see how the bushing are wearing out and here's a video to show how loose the thing is and the same for both in the rear, in the front only the driver side is bad
And here's a link to the video:
Old 11-09-2019, 05:04 AM
JK Newbie

Now for the uppers the front on the passenger side is starting to get loose but the driver side it's good, for the rear there's only one that's good and i did include a video just so you can tell the difference
Here's a link for the joint that is having lateral movement :

Here's a link for how loose the rear joints are except one :

Here's a link for the good joint in my opinion :
Old 11-09-2019, 05:22 AM
JK Newbie

And here's a video of the front trackbar joint just so you can all see why I'm upset i did tighten the joint to 25 ft lb it did work better but it's back to have play and to be honest i did buy a used RC trackbar to see if the problem i was having with the steering is from the trackbar and to be honest it did help a lot but i wanted to give this trackbar a second chance and when i went to remove the set screw and tighten the joint it was actually loose i was able to do it with ease but the control arms i wasn't able to open a single one of them and i made the tool twice one was a little loose it started slipping so i made a second one that fitted snugly but i was putting a lot of force and it wasn't moving so i was scared to ruin the retainers so i left it alone
Here's the links for the bushing on the trackbar :

Old 11-09-2019, 07:50 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

That set screw is a piss poor design at least ballistic has notches around the joint for the screw to set in where the RK design tightens against the threads. What a dumb design as you are basically destroying the threaded retainer. Those joints have way too much play in them and all I can think of is they were not properly set from the factory with the proper preload.This is another poor design with the RK joints, you have to run them so tight with the preload that they can't take lubrication, as the ball turns on their race it basically is just wiping the grease off the ball. One other flaw I see in their joint is the fact you have to remove the joint to tighten it with their tool.

This is the joint they basically copied and then made worse by their manufacturing. https://ballisticfabrication.com/col...allistic-joint. You can see the retaining nut have 4 notches in them for the recessed allen to lock into without damaging the threads. They only use one retaining nut not two like RK uses. I don't know what the reason is to use two but it must be cheaper to make. It also has a polished to mirror finish and hardened ball to minimize wear on the races. You can also get a spanner wrench on the preload retainer while the joint is installed.

It think imo that RK has been obsessed with having the most misalignment in the industry for their joint and that is the reason they build them so poorly. While it is nice marketing speak, it is a absolutely not needed, as non of the kits they sell actually even come close to maxing out the articulation of the joints.

Joints are one of the most important parts of a lift kit because of the cost of 16 joints (12 on a 3 link) but most people over look that. On a daily driver Jeep I would go with either metal cloak or synergy joints. Both have more then enough misalignment and give you a comfortable basically maintenance free joint.

I am sorry I did not convince you how bad RK was when you were looking at lifts. They spend a lot of time on social media pushing their marketing terms and showing photos of cool jeeps. It too bad they don't have the design knowledge or spend that amount of time on the actual product they put out the door, but for what they are, a machine shop that makes some of their own components, I am not surprised. I get pm's and emails all the time from former customers of theirs that tell me just how bad of an experience they have had with RK products and their "service". Hopefully they will get better but I have not seen anything over the years to make me think any different.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
That set screw is a piss poor design at least ballistic has notches around the joint for the screw to set in where the RK design tightens against the threads. What a dumb design as you are basically destroying the threaded retainer. Those joints have way too much play in them and all I can think of is they were not properly set from the factory with the proper preload.This is another poor design with the RK joints, you have to run them so tight with the preload that they can't take lubrication, as the ball turns on their race it basically is just wiping the grease off the ball. One other flaw I see in their joint is the fact you have to remove the joint to tighten it with their tool.

This is the joint they basically copied and then made worse by their manufacturing. https://ballisticfabrication.com/col...allistic-joint. You can see the retaining nut have 4 notches in them for the recessed allen to lock into without damaging the threads. They only use one retaining nut not two like RK uses. I don't know what the reason is to use two but it must be cheaper to make. It also has a polished to mirror finish and hardened ball to minimize wear on the races. You can also get a spanner wrench on the preload retainer while the joint is installed.

It think imo that RK has been obsessed with having the most misalignment in the industry for their joint and that is the reason they build them so poorly. While it is nice marketing speak, it is a absolutely not needed, as non of the kits they sell actually even come close to maxing out the articulation of the joints.

Joints are one of the most important parts of a lift kit because of the cost of 16 joints (12 on a 3 link) but most people over look that. On a daily driver Jeep I would go with either metal cloak or synergy joints. Both have more then enough misalignment and give you a comfortable basically maintenance free joint.

I am sorry I did not convince you how bad RK was when you were looking at lifts. They spend a lot of time on social media pushing their marketing terms and showing photos of cool jeeps. It too bad they don't have the design knowledge or spend that amount of time on the actual product they put out the door, but for what they are, a machine shop that makes some of their own components, I am not surprised. I get pm's and emails all the time from former customers of theirs that tell me just how bad of an experience they have had with RK products and their "service". Hopefully they will get better but I have not seen anything over the years to make me think any different.
I can tell you for sure that the joints had the correct preload or maybe a little more cause they were so tight at first and they did improve something the set screws actually have 4 flat surfaces on the retainers to hold it form loosening i wish they will have these problems sorted out so i can finally go back out and have some fun and from my experience yeah their products sound great on paper but from all the issues I've had that's insane i will tell you about everything I've dealt with for NOW faulty front springs they replaced them right away, missing parts they did send them back, rear spring slid off because one of the wedges so i added a retainer for the spring and my rear springs i don't know if that's how their manufacturing them now or mine are faulty but the dead zone is on the bottom of the spring, and the joints. They've kept me busy for a couple month now and to be honest I've learned a lot and most importantly do your homework before buying something and the worst thing for me is that I'm a college student and don't have an actual work yet to be able to buy a new kit soon if things didn't work out i saved up money for 2 years before i was able to buy this lift with the falcon shocks and the problem i was having with my jeep for a while now can actually be explained cause at first everything was awesome i used to drive without a steering stabilizer then came the issue with the trackbar so i put them back on the i started having an issue where i feel the jeep is shifting from side to side and started to pull sometimes to the left sometimes to the right i just want to get done with it and honestly sorry for not listening to your advice and thankyou for all the help i will let you know what will end up happening with everything.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 476 Likes on 427 Posts

The design of the joints are to provide the best flexibility in a low friction setup. They would work but like Dirtman stated they are a poor design. Unfortunately, Jeeps go through mud, sand, dirt and they all get in the joint and eat it away so yes I would believe a few thousand miles and they are shot. Just go back to a Johny Joint or similar.

Quick Reply: Rk krawler joint