Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RK 3.5" X-Factor Plus Mid Arm Bump Stop Questions?

Old 09-26-2013, 01:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RK 3.5" X-Factor Plus Mid Arm Bump Stop Questions?

So I just purchased a Rock Krawler 3.5" Mid Arm X-Factor Plus Kit, I also purchased Bilstein 5100 shocks (Front - 24-186872, Rear - 24-146715), and I'm about to install it on my jeep in the next couple weeks.

My Jeep is a New to me 2009 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, I currently have 35" Tires and will probably stay that way for a bit. I have stock fenders also.

My question is. My jeep is older and the current lift (4") is all hodge podged together, rusted up and in pretty bad shape all together, so I'm taking it all out and replacing it with this new kit. I did however notice that my upper bump stops (jounces?) are all split and broken or totally missing. I am a total noob to this kind of stuff so bear with me.

My question are. What do I do about bumpstops. I have to replace my existing ones (jounces?).. Do I need to add extentions or pads or what? I'm so confused. The kit says, the bumpstops should be 2" over stock. But I'm not sure how to accomplish this. Can I just buy longer upper bumpstops (jounces?) or do I buy some kind of extension. Does it go under the upper bumpstop or does it need to go on the bottom bumpstop (pad?). I need this information for both front and back.

Also can anyone suggest a replacement Bolt kit for all the stock stuff that I'm supposed to reuse for the lift. I figure it's in pretty bad shape. I took the bumper off a couple of weeks ago to have it sand blasted and re-powder coated, and had to replace all the mounting equipment because it was so rusted up, that half the bolts broke when trying to remove them. It's was a AEV Premium front bumper and I actually had to drill out all the button head bolts.. Man what a mess. I'm wondering if I can find some kind of kit, or if I should just go down to my local bolt and screw place (tacoma screw). I'm not sure if they would have strong enough bolts. I read somewhere i need or want grade 9 or 8 or something..

Just trying to do it correct the first time.

Thanks
Old 09-26-2013, 03:40 PM
JK Freak

Bump stops do two things....keep you from rubbing your tires on fenders, suspension or bumper AND keep from bottoming out your shocks. Three if you count not thrashing metal on metal and having to rebuild your axle and go to the chiropractor.

In your case with 35s and a RK 3.5 kit you probably net almost 4.5 lift. With 35s you won't rub the fenders much but you may make contact with CAs at full lock and flexed.

I would be more worried about bottoming out your shocks. Call RK and ask them about bump stops and what they recommend for your setup.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah I did, call RK and they just suggested what the web site said, that was 2" over stock.. But I'm still a little confused on what I should get since my existing bump stops are basically toast..
Old 09-26-2013, 04:15 PM
Former Vendor

You should get the 2" bump stops from RK and then the factory bump stops from the dealer. If you don't want to deal with the hassle we can get you pricing on both of those.

Quick Reply: RK 3.5" X-Factor Plus Mid Arm Bump Stop Questions?