Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RK 3.5 springs...what rear trackbar setup?

Old 10-09-2015, 06:09 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

You are not going to flip your sway bar just riding around on the road, it only happens if you fully droop the axle out.
I would run the front track bar from synergy as well.
MC coils have more then 1" more free travel then the RK, not sure why choose the RK?
Old 10-09-2015, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You are not going to flip your sway bar just riding around on the road, it only happens if you fully droop the axle out. I would run the front track bar from synergy as well. MC coils have more then 1" more free travel then the RK, not sure why choose the RK?
Well, honestly, I don't want to spend the extra $100 for metalcloak, and I saw one of the wayalife admins talking mad sh*t about the design. Free length is one thing that is very cool about the design to me, but, correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't the few coils that extend under full articulation also possibly prevent the other side of the axle from having as much uptravel?

That little section that stays compressed until full droop, that keeps the coils seated, it's a cool feature. But by looking at them it seems that on the stuffed end, they would rob you of a little but of compression since they are already compressed? Maybe I'm wrong. Just my thoughts after looking at it.

If that were the case, I'd rather run some spring clips or retainers or something, than lose some compression/uptravel room....as small as it may be. The extra cost also tends to shy me away.

BUT, if they are REALLY worth it, and I'm incorrect about the uptravel thing, I'd be open to using the MC...but I also kind of got the impression that the RK's triple rate is the most similar to EVO's plush rides in ride feel...again...without the extra cost...and while not being a single rate that will sag as much under weight....

I could be completely wrong about all of this though. I'm only going off what I can piece together from different people/vehicles/points in time on the various forums.

What do you guys think? It's also hard to find anyone who has actually RAN more than one of the above coils and can make a REAL comparison based on experience.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mds22
Friendly advice to show I don't hold a grudge and I'm really a nice guy. If you are going to flip the drag link, which I would at 3.5, but "do-able" without. With the synergy kit you can use your stock TB, and because they relocate the sway bar links, the factory rear sway bar links will be almost perfect length up front. Save you some money. Without buying the links and adj TB, it's ALMOST like getting a free drag link flip kit from synergy.
Seems like a good enough idea...but I've read some mixed reactions to using factory trackbars I'm this lift range...that they tend to make the vehicle feel "squishy" across certain on-road conditions...that the bushings wear out of the overall thinness of the bar compared to aftermarket causes this? Idk. Like I said above, I'm going off what I can gather on the internet as best I can. Having direct dialogue with people with experience trumps reading random threads all day though. Maybe it's not actually an issue? Idk. I'm looking to get going without spending over like $700-800 at first. Then finishing off by buying arms, nicer shocks than what I may start out with, drag link flip/HD steering components, etc.

If I can get the drag link flip and the springs and the geo brackets and the trackbars figured out up front without breaking that $800 mark I'll do it. I just want to do everything nicely at first, or not at all kind of is my way of thinking. If I can't do it right up front I'll ghetto rig it til I CAN do it nicely ya know. I'd like to get it up in the air as opposed to just piling the parts and waiting to finish collecting them all...but at 3.5 inches and with my monthly budget idk if that will be entirely possible
Old 10-09-2015, 09:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gnarly_mike
Seems like a good enough idea...but I've read some mixed reactions to using factory trackbars I'm this lift range...that they tend to make the vehicle feel "squishy" across certain on-road conditions...that the bushings wear out of the overall thinness of the bar compared to aftermarket causes this? Idk. Like I said above, I'm going off what I can gather on the internet as best I can. Having direct dialogue with people with experience trumps reading random threads all day though. Maybe it's not actually an issue? Idk. I'm looking to get going without spending over like $700-800 at first. Then finishing off by buying arms, nicer shocks than what I may start out with, drag link flip/HD steering components, etc. If I can get the drag link flip and the springs and the geo brackets and the trackbars figured out up front without breaking that $800 mark I'll do it. I just want to do everything nicely at first, or not at all kind of is my way of thinking. If I can't do it right up front I'll ghetto rig it til I CAN do it nicely ya know. I'd like to get it up in the air as opposed to just piling the parts and waiting to finish collecting them all...but at 3.5 inches and with my monthly budget idk if that will be entirely possible
Understandable about not wanting to break the bank. 2.5" might be better for your situation. You can run 37" tires with flats and proper bumps (may take a little trimming if you are flexing to full stuff often) but I know serval people who do it. At 2.5 you don't have to worry about flipping the drag link. And you could keep your stock driveshaft(at 3.5 you can keep it. I did, but at 3.5 you are just rolling the dice on whether u will tear your boot even with exhaust spacers), a costly mod. But 3.5" may look better, that's your call. Don't let people talk you out of the Drop brackets. I know they aren't the "coolest" thing in the offroad community, but if you don't care about the loss of clearance, the ride if great.

If you are patient and check all the forums often you can find most parts you need used and good shape for close to half price. I would buy the coils and shocks new, but that's me. Drop Brackets, TB, etc are readily available.

I read your post about the coils. I've drove all 3 coils(as I mentioned before 3.5 RK was my first lift) IMO, and my opinion only, the best coils on the market for my DD are
1) EVO plush coils
1a) Metalcloak (#1 offroad #2 highway)
3) RK triple rate
But ride is subjective, and for the $$ it's hard to argue against RK.

Last edited by mds22; 10-09-2015 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I just typed a long ass reply and somehow cancelled it. FAIL. haha.

Log story short, I know I'm opening a can of worms by going above 2.5, but it's what my heart and mind are set on.

And it's not that I'm worried about the total amount of money I spend, but rather that I just simply don't have such large amounts at once, and would prefer to not sit here piling parts up for months before I can get it started.

I will wait if I need to, which I'm going to have to, but I will get what I want however I have to go about it. I won't compromise because I can't get it all at first or whatever.

I will run the geo brackets to save me some quality of ride while I save for arms and decide on the style and brand. Nobody will talk me out of that. The jeep will be on 37s so I'm not worried about that little bit of clearance loss, plus I probably will remove them when I get arms. Maybe not.

The driveshaft issue is one that I am not worried about. I'll buy the exhaust spacer and wait til I ruin the stock shaft. When that happens, I'll still have the rear shaft and will be able to at least DD in RWD til I buy a Tom Woods 1310 front shaft. I've read tons of people running the 3.5 for over a year without needing a new shaft and over that time I'll easily buy a new one. It's the last thing on my list as far as lift.

I want to start with getting the "best" coils for me.

Did you run RK's new triple rate coils? Or their old gen 2 design?

I see that the new triple rates are very comparable to the plush rides, until you hit wallops and things. For daily driving they moved the stiff section of the coil farther down so there's more soft ride most of the time apparently.

The MC are cool the way they unload that last section at full droop, but can you shed light on what I was wondering about the compression/uptravel thing?

I'm basically looking at any of those 3 but the RK being so much better priced is appealing.

I agree on the used parts thing too, I just told my buddy that I'm not going to buy used coils or shocks. But everything else, I totally would buy used if in good condition, I've already seen The AEV brackets and an RK trackbar here for good discounted prices. But I'm leaning toward the synergy trackbar after reading replies here. Idk. Might do RK.

So I'm probably only set on using the teraflex rear trackbar bracket and that's it so far. Everything else is up for debate. I appreciate the help guys.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:29 PM
JK Freak

I had the triple rate coils on my old '14 white altitude. The were great, just not MY favorites.
Why teraflex rear TB bracket? I thought the frame side was for 2.5" max. I'd look into a weld on RK or EVO.
I liked the RK TB, I used it until I flipped my D link then I sold it and went back to stock w/bracket (stock is very strong, ends are great, no maintenance, and if something does happen, after 80k miles maybe, you can just buy another new take off for nothing.) I also added coil correction wedges when I had my RK 3.5 and it did make a difference. They cost next to nothing, I have some laying around I think, if you need.

Last thing, I would write down the parts you want when it's all said and done. Or at least near future, bc it's never truly done. Lol
Then buy accordingly. For example if you plan on getting a synergy drag link flip in the future, get a synergy Adj TB now so it will all work well together when you pull the trigger.
RE-BUYING IN THE MOST EXPENSIVE PART.
If I were you and didn't want to pay for an EVO enforcer w/ drag link flip. I would get
3.5 MC coils w/ OME shocks
MC front adj TB
Drop brackets until I could afford LCAs (the only arms you'll need on a 4door)
Weld on rear TB bracket if possible
Brakelines and bumpstops.
You would have a GREAT ridding "maintenance free" lift. Just my personal preference. All the RK stuff talked about above would work equally as well.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:40 PM
JK Freak

To answer your MC coils question. I'm not a fanboy of MC, I don't have anything from them on my current jeep. I went with EVO. But I have yet to see any COIL lift have the flex of MC's gamechanger. The ride was smooth as well.

I'm just not sure about the durability of their joints. I'd rather grease than replace the whole joint every 20-30k miles. But some say they last a lot longer. Never owning their arms it's hard to tell what's true. I have run their TB front and rear in the past and was very happy. However I wouldn't touch their drag link or tie rod. Unless you like the color I believe stock is stronger than theirs.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gnarly_mike
Does that get in the way during articulation? Sounds like a pretty good piece if it's adjustable for different heights.
It is the holes are 3/4/5" iirc or theres a 2/4 bracket.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

MC dual coils are $10 a pair more over the RK. Maybe you are seeing $100 in a kit that may included other things? IDK.
wayalife hates metal cloak for some reason. But that bunch hates most other brands that are not ORE or a sponsor on the site.
your concerns on full compression is unfounded if using proper shocks and bump stops. Something most people don't do.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:25 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

You are concerned about the compresses section on top at ride height on the MC coils. The RK coils do the exact same thing and you don't have the same concern?
MC designs their system for LCG to maximize up travel and overall travel. IF you look at the way the 6 pack shock work and the full compressed length of the coils at 7" you should never have an issue on the compressed side of the coil. The 6 pack shocks have the shortest compressed length of any shock out there for the amount of travel offered.

Its your jeep and your money. I tend to look into maximizing articulation while keeping the height as low as possible. IF doing real research I would stay off waylafe.com as they are some of the most bias and one sided group out there. For example if you disagree with them you are likely to get banned and have all your posts scrubbed.

As far as a rear track bar bracket and if cost is truly an issue the ruff stuff is a no brainer at $29 and they have a sale every holiday.
Offset Axle Panhard Bracket - RuffStuff Specialties

Quick Reply: RK 3.5 springs...what rear trackbar setup?