Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RK 3.5 springs...what rear trackbar setup?

Old 10-09-2015, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RK 3.5 springs...what rear trackbar setup?

So after going back and forth between RK, MC, and EVO coils, then from RK and EVO, I've decided to use RK, triple rate 3.5 coils, because I don't want to spend $100 extra when as far as I can tell, the RK triple rate and EVO plush rides are relatively the same on road.

I notice their kits all have the rear trackbar relocation bracket but it's the same for their 2.5 stock mod as it is in their higher kits.

If I use their 3.5 coils, would I be ok using their rear trackbar relocation bracket or should I go for one like Synergy that raises it ~3" since that's closer to the lift height than the ~2-2.5" the RL bracket raises the mount?

I'm going to be starting off with RK 3.5 springs, AEV geometry correction brackets, RK front trackbar, and some rear trackbar relocation bracket.

I will either make my own extended away links or find some used ones. Can I use stock rear sway links up front for 3.5 lift? Or does that ability stop after 2.5 of lift?

Thanks
Old 10-09-2015, 03:20 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

In one of your other threads, you were talking about flips. You might do a little more research on those before deciding on a front trackbar, just to make sure the bar will work with whatever setup you are considering. (if I remember it right, synergy redesigned their own trackbar to work with an upper brace you can get for their flip setup. Some other mfg's trackbars were known to have issues with it)

Swaybar angle/link length can depend on shock length. You generally want the swaybars roughly parallel to the frame. Short links, with swaybars angled down, has been known to flip the swaybar around backwards when the axle is drooped. But if you have short shocks, the axle can't droop enough to allow the swaybar to extend enough to flip around backwards. With long travel shocks, you might even want links that are long enough to raise the swaybar angle 5 or 10 degrees above parallel.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Teraflex 2"-6" bracket.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
In one of your other threads, you were talking about flips. You might do a little more research on those before deciding on a front trackbar, just to make sure the bar will work with whatever setup you are considering. (if I remember it right, synergy redesigned their own trackbar to work with an upper brace you can get for their flip setup. Some other mfg's trackbars were known to have issues with it) Swaybar angle/link length can depend on shock length. You generally want the swaybars roughly parallel to the frame. Short links, with swaybars angled down, has been known to flip the swaybar around backwards when the axle is drooped. But if you have short shocks, the axle can't droop enough to allow the swaybar to extend enough to flip around backwards. With long travel shocks, you might even want links that are long enough to raise the swaybar angle 5 or 10 degrees above parallel.
Good point on the front trackbar issue. I'm not sure yet if I'll end up with RK flip kit or Synergy. It'll be one of the two. But that IS something I should decide before I buy a trackbar, thanks for pointing that out, slipped my mind.

And yeah I know about these swaybar angle and not wanting it to flip forward etc, I'm just wondering if the stock rear link ghetto setup would work on the front at 3.5 inches. I see people talk about it for 2.5 but idk about 3.5. My jeep isn't here so I can't look at it. I never go offroad with the swaybar connected though either, so I'm not worried about it flipping forward, just wondering what's a cheapo route to address the need for extended front links.

Last edited by gnarly_mike; 10-09-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Teraflex 2"-6" bracket.
Does that get in the way during articulation? Sounds like a pretty good piece if it's adjustable for different heights.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

So why does RK not offer different rear brackets for the different lift heights? I can't understand why they'd have the same bracket used in their 2.5 kit as their 3.5 and 5.5 kits.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:35 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by gnarly_mike
I never go offroad with the swaybar connected though either, so I'm not worried about it flipping forward, just wondering what's a cheapo route to address the need for extended front links.
People have posted pics of flipped swaybars and pretzled links from being on a lift at the shop. Can you get away with the rear links up front? Sure. Is it still possible that you will have an issue? Just something to keep in mind if you go with long travel shocks.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
People have posted pics of flipped swaybars and pretzled links from being on a lift at the shop. Can you get away with the rear links up front? Sure. Is it still possible that you will have an issue? Just something to keep in mind if you go with long travel shocks.
Ahh, only heard of it happening offroad. That would suck haha. Good thing my Jeep doesn't go to the shop though

Unless the body shop.... -____-

If the rear links are too short to be used with the 3.5 coils and have the sway positioned parallel, I will just cut the ends off my friend's stock front links and weld them onto some 1/2" or 3/4" stock, and that'll be that
Old 10-09-2015, 05:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Friendly advice to show I don't hold a grudge and I'm really a nice guy. If you are going to flip the drag link, which I would at 3.5, but "do-able" without. With the synergy kit you can use your stock TB, and because they relocate the sway bar links, the factory rear sway bar links will be almost perfect length up front. Save you some money. Without buying the links and adj TB, it's ALMOST like getting a free drag link flip kit from synergy.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edit: I was pricing the TB and discos from Synergy which come out to almost 300, RK is a bit cheaper (cost less, not cheaper quality), but still you get the point. Saves you $ if you are going to flip anyways

Quick Reply: RK 3.5 springs...what rear trackbar setup?