Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RK 3.5 flex has arrived!

Old 07-31-2013, 11:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And I went with 9/16 bolts on the LCAs since that's the time to do it. A 9/16 reamer and drill press makes quick work on the control arm sleeves.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
Depending on what version of the 3.5" kit you got, you may need to relocate your rear sway bar back an inch (the X-factor version has you do this...not sure on the Flex). So have a couple of good 5/16" drill bits handy as drilling out the holes is a pain. If you got the kit that does relocate your sway bar, no need to trim the pinch seam (as already mentioned) since your rear axle gets pushed back an inch to give you that clearance. Also, you may need to drill out holes for spring retainers (I did for my front coils) so have drill bits available for that as well.
Yes, and a unibit works great for this.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All good stuff guys and is exactly what I was looking for. I was going off of the RK sight and they were saying 2" bump stop for 3.5 flex, 35"s, bilstein 5100. I might put in 3". I am supposed to be getting the cut to length through 4ws' web/forum deal. They are on backorder and is one of the last things I am waiting for so I might just buy some and go with the 3" from what it sounds like.
Yes the 3.5" flex does come with 4 arms so I will be putting them on as well. From MI and everyone I have talked with has not had to cut pinch seem yet. I will wait and see on this. Not a ton of crazy flexing in this area. Will be running dunes and trails for the immediate future. The big reason I only went with the flex kit even though I am already starting to rethink that and the lift is not even on yet.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BenjepN
All good stuff guys and is exactly what I was looking for. I was going off of the RK sight and they were saying 2" bump stop for 3.5 flex, 35"s, bilstein 5100. I might put in 3". I am supposed to be getting the cut to length through 4ws' web/forum deal. They are on backorder and is one of the last things I am waiting for so I might just buy some and go with the 3" from what it sounds like.
Yes the 3.5" flex does come with 4 arms so I will be putting them on as well. From MI and everyone I have talked with has not had to cut pinch seem yet. I will wait and see on this. Not a ton of crazy flexing in this area. Will be running dunes and trails for the immediate future. The big reason I only went with the flex kit even though I am already starting to rethink that and the lift is not even on yet.
Ah, 4 arms, not 8. Well, pinch seam would be a maybe but like you said, if you aren't stuffing them then you may get away with it.

I would go with hockey pucks for your stops. Much cheaper, just as effective and you can add and replace to adjust. Start on the safe side with 3" and take one away if you can. Or best way to do this is at install. Install your arms and shocks, put the wheel/tire on and jack up a corner on the front and rear with NO springs installed and check your clearance and shock compression for correct bumpstops (don't forget to turn your steering wheel for full deflection). Then just disconnect lower shock mount and install new springs.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out youtube, look up some different install videos even if its a different company the stuff will still be pretty standard.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2013's have diff pinch seams. They don't need trimmed.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Matth
Cool! This I did not know. I will still check closely once lift is in. Thanks.

Will definitely be checking out some U tube installs as I will be on vacation all week enjoying the boat. Wish I could get this lift in before I go. I will be thinking about it all vacation but it will be good to relax and kick back on see what I can learn before the install to hopefully make it go flawless.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matth
Some 2013 models do and some do not. Mine did, later build dates have different pinch seems, so don't say they all don't have em.

Quick Reply: RK 3.5 flex has arrived!