Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RK 2.5 X-Factor or Metal Cloak Game Changer

Old 02-08-2017, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Rotti54
Well, I greatly appreciate all of your guys input on the suspension question. I decided to go with Rock Krawler, and I had a few reasons for doing so.
1. They continue to develope and improve their joints regularly, and their newest joint seem to be more road friendly than those in the past.
2 Cost was the second reason. I spent a little less on the RK 2.5 X-Factor Kit due to a buddy's 4x4 shop selling it to me a his cost. My only hope is that if I keep the powder coat coated in fluid film it will resist rust and corrosion. If it doesn't and starts to turn lousy and such I will prob swap in upper and lower Metal Cloak arms!
Enjoy and definitely keep us posted. It would good to get confirmation that sagging springs, joints wearing out, and rust related component problems are a thing of the past. However, it would likely be 1-2 years before those net reported common problems started to rear their ugly head.

I heard RK is currently in the process of changing back to a more shiney protective coating paint on their parts to combat the reported rust problems.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being in NJ rust was definitely a concern for me, which is why I went with Metalcloak. Don't have to upkeep the arms like RK. Hve 2 buddies who have MC arms for the past 4 years and they are dirty but a quick wipe down and they look brand new still. Two guys I know were hard pressed to get 3 years out of their RK arms before being too concerned with the rust.

Goodluck to you OP!
Old 02-08-2017, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Bjorn
Being in NJ rust was definitely a concern for me, which is why I went with Metalcloak. Don't have to upkeep the arms like RK. Hve 2 buddies who have MC arms for the past 4 years and they are dirty but a quick wipe down and they look brand new still. Two guys I know were hard pressed to get 3 years out of their RK arms before being too concerned with the rust.

Goodluck to you OP!
When I was planning out my lift I was debating with myself whether I should go with front adjustable LCA's or Geo brackets for caster correction. I wanted to try the adjustable LCA's but didn't want to spend a lot on the more expensive and likely more reliable brands like Synergy, just to learn that I didn't really like front adjustable LCA's for caster correction. So I decided to go with a lower cost brand instead with the thought if they didn't last and I liked them, then I would invest in a more reliable vendor adjustable LCA option in the future but if I decided I didn't like them, then I would just throw them away and get Geo correction brackets instead.

So I bought the Rough Country front adjustable LCAs. I live in SE Michigan, and I've only had them on since this past July and we're now 70% through a winter of salted roads. So I can't say for sure how they'll stand the test of time in regards to holding up and rust resistance, and I didn't really purchase them expecting them to pass the test of time but I can say my RC LCA's currently look pretty good compared to those RK LCA's which were reported to be less than 2 years old.

Last edited by Rednroll; 02-08-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Rotti54
Well, I greatly appreciate all of your guys input on the suspension question. I decided to go with Rock Krawler, and I had a few reasons for doing so.
1. They continue to develope and improve their joints regularly, and their newest joint seem to be more road friendly than those in the past.
2 Cost was the second reason. I spent a little less on the RK 2.5 X-Factor Kit due to a buddy's 4x4 shop selling it to me a his cost. My only hope is that if I keep the powder coat coated in fluid film it will resist rust and corrosion. If it doesn't and starts to turn lousy and such I will prob swap in upper and lower Metal Cloak arms!
I'd venture to say that all brands are continuing to develop their product but how many trials is it going to take before they get it right? I'd unload my RK kit today in favor of MC.

I've got the Metalcloak front track bar (bought used) and its been awesome (for 2 years now). My friend has a full blown RK kit with all of their pieces and has had to replace both ends of the track bar. I'd bet we replace more of the joints before the year is up. I put easily 3x as many miles on my vehicle and not a peep of an issue. It would be tough to lie and say I'd go with RK at this point.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:25 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Enjoy and definitely keep us posted. It would good to get confirmation that sagging springs, joints wearing out, and rust related component problems are a thing of the past. However, it would likely be 1-2 years before those net reported common problems started to rear their ugly head. I heard RK is currently in the process of changing back to a more shiney protective coating paint on their parts to combat the reported rust problems.
That's what i was told. Im pretty sure RK is content with their latest joints. I really like the pro flex joints and they were recently improved using thick retainers on each side. If they get the coating right this time id put them right up there with the best.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:34 PM
JK Newbie

Default MC 2.5" Game-Changer

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
That's what i was told. Im pretty sure RK is content with their latest joints. I really like the pro flex joints and they were recently improved using thick retainers on each side. If they get the coating right this time id put them right up there with the best.
To be successful in the business every lift company MUST do R&D to keep current. I see MC as having their's done as well as having it all patented.
I presently run an OME 2.5" on 33"BFGs. Stock control arms. 100K miles on the clock, time for change.
Ordered and awaiting delivery. It should be a Game Changer!
Pun intended.
6 Pack edition
Old 06-12-2017, 06:56 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Are you set up for the six pack shocks are do you just think they are cool?

Quick Reply: RK 2.5 X-Factor or Metal Cloak Game Changer