Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RK 2.5 X-Factor or Metal Cloak Game Changer

Old 01-31-2017, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

excellent post.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have off road evolution. Ive looked in to MC and RK as well. ORE has been great in performance and in customer service/support.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I Wouldn't buy RK again if they were the same price as rough country. Ride is subjective but I've ridden in many JKs as well as my "rk equipped" jk and I can honestly say mine is one of the harshest riding jeeps I've ever felt. I will also say that of the jeeps I've rode in/ Drove that had "bolt on" kits, mine is probably the best "setup" in terms of correcting the coil bow, adjusted shock mounts, and correct length bump stops. I've found the few times that I've drove similar 2 doors with Rough Country Lifts that they ride "smoother" or "more plush". I would also like to note that while their customer service will more than likely get you taken care of in the end, if it is indeed proven you are not "at fault", it does take quite a while - ESPECIALLY if you choose to keep it off the internet....
Old 01-31-2017, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

The best customer service is the one you never need to contact. Just saying.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:50 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Rednroll
So true.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:17 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BoraBora
I like the new RK coils. They're much more forgiving on bumpy/crappy DC roads than my old Teraflex coils. I run Metalcloak and Synergy joints in my control arms...overall it rides like a truck. Especially paired with Rancho 9000's and proper geometry, I can cruise down the highway at 80 mph with 1 finger on the wheel. Just remember that it has solid axles, and will never ride as soft as a Cadillac.
Agree, ive been running a older set of RK rear coils since the TR's first came out. Holy crap, i just swapped to the latest coils ... HUGE difference.
The jeep handles rougher roads 10X better.
Softer than Evo and TF coils for sure (ran both)
Old 01-31-2017, 03:20 PM
JK Junkie

Thats WAL's line
Old 01-31-2017, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Agree, ive been running a older set of RK rear coils since the TR's first came out. Holy crap, i just swapped to the latest coils ... HUGE difference.
The jeep handles rougher roads 10X better.
Softer than Evo and TF coils for sure (ran both)
Actually, this is one of the things I have read about which seems pretty common with RK. There's no doubt that they're always improving where I'm willing to bet most of the problems are likely old problems. However, I can't help but get the feeling in regards to some of the common problems I've read about that RK doesn't seem to put much investment in durability tests. It's an area of part development that is costly for most aftermarket companies and also an area they're able to reduce costs.

Too many reports about springs that sag and joints failing after limited use as well as rust associated problems previously mentioned. I've seen the folks from RK post on the forums saying things of the nature of "We have seen some reports of this bushing/joint failing under these certain conditions but those are the reasons we came out with this new and improved joint and these newly designed triple rate coils." I can't help but get the feeling the customer is their prototype part testers and then they make improvements on later revision parts but that doesn't help the guy that purchased and spent time/money installing their originally designed parts. I'm also of the mindset, that I really don't care hearing about how you improved the design of your part to avoid that particular situation, I'm more interested in hearing about the additional testing you added so you can avoid seeing the same problems in those future designs so I don't have to buy your parts and find those problems for you.

I believe the video below is from one of your favorite developers but I like seeing these kinds of durability test results. It helps build my trust in the reliability of the parts I'm investing hard earned money and time on. Durability testing isn't about just putting the parts on a vehicle to just make sure they fit and function properly. It's about ensuring they continue to stay that way after extended use in multiple environment conditions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkqST7elGwE Guess which vendor came in 2nd place behind Steer Smarts in that durability testing that's been mentioned in this discussion? It's hard to not be able to identify that gold.

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-31-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:01 AM
JK Junkie

Actually, this is one of the things I have read about which seems pretty common with RK. There's no doubt that they're always improving where I'm willing to bet most of the problems are likely old problems. However, I can't help but get the feeling in regards to some of the common problems I've read about that RK doesn't seem to put much investment in durability tests. It's an area of part development that is costly for most aftermarket companies and also an area they're able to reduce costs. Too many reports about springs that sag and joints failing after limited use as well as rust associated problems previously mentioned. I've seen the folks from RK post on the forums saying things of the nature of "We have seen some reports of this bushing/joint failing under these certain conditions but those are the reasons we came out with this new and improved joint and these newly designed triple rate coils." I can't help but get the feeling the customer is their prototype part testers and then they make improvements on later revision parts but that doesn't help the guy that purchased and spent time/money installing their originally designed parts. I'm also of the mindset, that I really don't care hearing about how you improved the design of your part to avoid that particular situation, I'm more interested in hearing about the additional testing you added so you can avoid seeing the same problems in those future designs so I don't have to buy your parts and find those problems for you. I believe the video below is from one of your favorite developers but I like seeing these kinds of durability test results. It helps build my trust in the reliability of the parts I'm investing hard earned money and time on. Durability testing isn't about just putting the parts on a vehicle to just make sure they fit and function properly. It's about ensuring they continue to stay that way after extended use in multiple environment conditions. YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkqST7elGwE Guess which vendor came in 2nd place behind Steer Smarts in that durability testing that's been mentioned in this discussion? It's hard to not be able to identify that gold.
Procomp? ROFL
Old 02-01-2017, 03:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the RC 2.5 X factor on my Jeep so I'm pretty sure it's the best lift out there! But seriously the ride is awesome, I run the Rancho 9000's turned almost as soft as they can go. The mechanic who installed my gears said it was the best riding Jeep he has been in and he also owns a lifted jk on 37's. On the down side it was difficult to install due to lack of clearance to get to the jam nut. I also live in New Mexico so I don't deal with rust issues. I run my 37 inch cooper stt pro's at 26 psi and that helped immensely with the ride. I know nothing of the MC lifts.
The following users liked this post:
pondfishr (10-15-2023)

Quick Reply: RK 2.5 X-Factor or Metal Cloak Game Changer