Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RK 2.5 X factor and King 2.5 ADJ Reservoir combination

Old 04-12-2016, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
With a 2.5" lift you are like going to max out at between a 10" and 11" travel shock. If you are willing to change the factory mounting positions you can increase that. It just depends on how much work you want to do. For example I run 40" tires on 3.5" of lift and have 5" up travel. Running 14" travel shocks up front and 16" travel on the rear. It was an extreme amount of work. I have just the compression adjuster up front and have full set up air bumps. I run 50+ mph across the dessert and it feels like a speed boat on the water thru the whoops. Adding bypass would give me more adjustability but since I am really set up for rock crawling it really makes no sense to me to add another $2500 in shocks to my set up. I don't race and defiantly don't jump the jeep and that is where the bypass shocks really shine. I am interested in kings coil pass shocks as I have the room in back to mount them since I am thru the tub.

You have really not mentioned what you are building for and for high speed running I would be more concerned with having ample up travel and less concern about droop. In rock crawling I think you can get by with less up travel and optimize the set up for max overall travel. If you are looking at bypass shocks I would be looking into a front shock tower and get away from the studded type top mount as it does not allow for much movement in the shock bodies during extreme articulation. This may also allow you to get the upper mount higher for more up travel and mayallow you to run a longer travel shock.
if there is a bolt on shock tower, i would say no problem. i do not really want to weld on brackets, is there a bolt on tower with weld optional?i know im asking for alot and only willing to give alittle, but unsure of my best bang for buck.

i dont want excessive droop and do not want to put the load on the shocks, so thats why i need straps, and i agree from the begining, my up travel is my greatest concern...thats why im trying to understand at 2.5 lift, isnt a smaller shock body and shortest compressed length my best bet for the most uptravel? by going with such a short shock, what is the con offroad other then not being able to articulate at extreme angles, will the lack of droop be even harsher of a ride over whoops?

for clarity, your are correct...i am not concerned with articulation and only need moderate flex for overland trails, hence rock krawler arms, and i understand a long arm may best fit my use, but i prefer the stock brackets and reinforcing them. dont want to change my geometry to much, even though long arm may provide the best answer for me.
i like riding trails fast, some whoops,tons of mud holes, gravel fire roads at speed,and the occasional curb or speedbump.

RK x factor and the 2.5 triple rate coils with King or OME bypass resi shocks
if those coils are to harsh and stiff, i will go with EVO plush 3 springs. i believe evo plush and king bypass is the ride im looking for.

Last edited by jkjouster; 04-12-2016 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D_MYVHxemQ go to 1:18.... i want my jku to ride like this... looks like butter.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:27 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Not impressed with that video, maybe the weight of those trucks but they look to bounce around quite a bit. I would not drop $2k on them for that ride. Check out some ultra 4 or lucas oil series trucks jumping and you will see the difference.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not impressed with that video, maybe the weight of those trucks but they look to bounce around quite a bit. I would not drop $2k on them for that ride. Check out some ultra 4 or lucas oil series trucks jumping and you will see the difference.
the trucks other then the jeeps are coil over front, and yes all are set up for overland with heavy armor, but the jeep does a fine job on the uneven rock face. again this is 2k for 4 corners. ultra 4 cars have what kind of travel? and coilover? for the price, quality, adjustments, i have no problem spending the cash for a quality comfortable system... i believe im just going to go for it.....

RK 2.5 Expedition(Xfactor) with possibly 1 inch spacer in front, the rear expedition coils are extended an inch for heavy loads.i really want around 2.75-3 inch lift to gain as much compression length as possible without going to 4 inches.
OME BP51 all around
FRONT (26.9/16.5 in) OR (24.9 in/15.6 in)
REAR (26.9/16.6 in)
i like that i would have 1 inch more compression with the shorter shock up front, but not necessarily satisfied with possible droop. i cant figure out shock relocation brackets for the front? i found synergy for the rear, but does this make the COG higher? i would assume no? but it must have some effect on geometry?

will have my write up completed about the build in a few weeks. i will be driving the rubi stock for a few weeks until the hardware comes in, then it goes under the knife all at once.

really looking forward to finding out if the frankenlift will work with OME and RK coils, and having the ability to adjust comp and reb.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Center of gravity is affected by linkage mounts not the shock mounts. And of course lift height. Overall I would just go to 4" of lift and flip the front drag link with raised axle mounts on the track bars to help with stability and get the extra amount of up travel.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Center of gravity is affected by linkage mounts not the shock mounts. And of course lift height. Overall I would just go to 4" of lift and flip the front drag link with raised axle mounts on the track bars to help with stability and get the extra amount of up travel.
really wanted to stay between 2.5 and 3, and especially because I wouldn't go over 35 tires on the stock d44 housings....I believe 35 with High clearance fenders (Metalcloak Overland)calls for no more then 2.5 maybe 3... duratracs aren't even 35..

don't need the major clearance for flexing or rock crawling, but i wanted to stay lower cog, and have great compression/uptravel lengthwith moderate droop.

round and round we go, i knew getting myself back into a wrangler i would be indecisive.

cant figure it out..wait, figure what out
Old 04-12-2016, 06:45 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I will be looking forward to your write up.
Good luck with it.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're just going to argue when someone gives you the answer you're looking for there's no reason to ask it.

Quick Reply: RK 2.5 X factor and King 2.5 ADJ Reservoir combination