Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RK 2.5 X factor and King 2.5 ADJ Reservoir combination

Old 04-11-2016, 01:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The plan

I looked at the 2.5 Shocks they were way more expensive and decided on the 2.0's. So the Dampening Adjusters only adjust the Up stroke not the down stroke? I plan on running the front Softer than the Rear since when you come off of Humps and ledges the back is taking most of the shock. I find most people blow the rears before the front. You have to bump something super hard to blow front shocks up when Rock crawling. Pre-Running I can see how fronts would blow up at high speeds.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:24 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by jkjouster
agreed with the 2.5 vs 2.0

and i realize the advantages of multiple fine tune adjustments on the OME, but king is king..

trying to find the right 2.0 bypass adjustable kings but unsure what part number i need to look for, for my use?
You install your lift first then flex it out to check for needed bump stop and clearance. Once you find out what you have to work with, king lists the compressed and extended shock lengths on their website.King Shocks Performance Race Series Bypass « King Off-Road Racing Shocks : kingshocks.com
And to check prices filthy motorsports is a good place to go.
King 2.0 Bypass Shocks - Starting at $524.95 w/ Free Shipping!
Old 04-11-2016, 04:51 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You install your lift first then flex it out to check for needed bump stop and clearance. Once you find out what you have to work with, king lists the compressed and extended shock lengths on their website.King Shocks Performance Race Series Bypass « King Off-Road Racing Shocks : kingshocks.com
Wow I priced one out it was $549 for one!!! Dang thats some nice shocks. And I thought $349 a shock was steep.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:55 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

IF you want adjustability they are the way to go but total overkill imo. Never the less I want some for my rig.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman

So the plan was to have the best possible information in hand to make a guesstimated attempt at ordering all the parts at once for install. I will be sure to measure out my bump stop, and droop and run agressive bump stop and either single or double straps on each axle. Flex is important but I don't need extreme articulation, and keeping those shocks "healthy" by not over compressing or overextending and adding to the longevity in between rebuilds is the goal.

So brief mechanical question. Is compressed length the same measure as shaft to body for each unit?

If there is a long shock body on a 2.5 lift, won't full compression occur too soon, and be riding in the wrong valving with internal/external bypass at ride height?

Maybe the shop I work with is willing to purchase the other size, so I won't have to wait the two-three weeks for the Kings?
Old 04-11-2016, 05:12 PM
JK Junkie

non Coil-over Shocks are one of the easiest things to put on. Its 3 bolts for each side on the rear and 2 bolts for each side on the front. Shoot I think my 8 year old boy could do it.

King has the best Customer service hands down. I'm sure they will work with you.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default So what is the best shock sizes for 2.5-3 inch lift

So what is the best shock sizes for 2.5-3 inch lift?

Or has anyone run 2.0 bypass kings?

Probably a separate ? For a separate thread, but taking the want for more up travel, then down travel in a shock, there must be a general compressed length to go with

And I get it if you tell me to screw off and go measure my bump and droop....Ill just ask again.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
non Coil-over Shocks are one of the easiest things to put on. Its 3 bolts for each side on the rear and 2 bolts for each side on the front. Shoot I think my 8 year old boy could do it.

King has the best Customer service hands down. I'm sure they will work with you.
So this I know. My 2012 wrangler was built in my driveway. I'm no stranger to a jku suspension, hell I trust myself with anything but a gear change.

Ill have many questions for king tomorrow but the knowledge on this forum is unbiased and informing.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkjouster
So this I know. My 2012 wrangler was built in my driveway. I'm no stranger to a jku suspension, hell I trust myself with anything but a gear change. Ill have many questions for king tomorrow but the knowledge on this forum is unbiased and informing.
Unrelated but unbias and could be informing:
Don't be afraid of gear work. If you trust yourself with most other things you are capable of effectively setting up gears.
If you ever plan on a gear swap you should seriously consider trying it yourself. You'll find out it's not the monster everyone talks about. Plus, you'll find pride in disproving all the nay-sayers.
Sorry for the off-topic post, but I just wanted to let you know that.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:00 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

With a 2.5" lift you are like going to max out at between a 10" and 11" travel shock. If you are willing to change the factory mounting positions you can increase that. It just depends on how much work you want to do. For example I run 40" tires on 3.5" of lift and have 5" up travel. Running 14" travel shocks up front and 16" travel on the rear. It was an extreme amount of work. I have just the compression adjuster up front and have full set up air bumps. I run 50+ mph across the dessert and it feels like a speed boat on the water thru the whoops. Adding bypass would give me more adjustability but since I am really set up for rock crawling it really makes no sense to me to add another $2500 in shocks to my set up. I don't race and defiantly don't jump the jeep and that is where the bypass shocks really shine. I am interested in kings coil pass shocks as I have the room in back to mount them since I am thru the tub.

You have really not mentioned what you are building for and for high speed running I would be more concerned with having ample up travel and less concern about droop. In rock crawling I think you can get by with less up travel and optimize the set up for max overall travel. If you are looking at bypass shocks I would be looking into a front shock tower and get away from the studded type top mount as it does not allow for much movement in the shock bodies during extreme articulation. This may also allow you to get the upper mount higher for more up travel and mayallow you to run a longer travel shock.

Quick Reply: RK 2.5 X factor and King 2.5 ADJ Reservoir combination