Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RK 2.5" Flex System: Should I add rear lower control arms?

Old 01-23-2016, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RK 2.5" Flex System: Should I add rear lower control arms?

Hello, I am having a Rock Krawler 2.5" Flex kit put on my 2008 JKU Rubicon next week. It turns out, I will have a little extra money and was wondering if it would be a good idea to get the rear lower adjustable control arms as well. What benefits, if any, would there be? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-23-2016, 09:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One set of rear lower adjustable control arms serve little benefit. Setting them longer will worsen pinion angle. Best to buy both together or uppers to rotate the pinion up.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
One set of rear lower adjustable control arms serve little benefit. Setting them longer will worsen pinion angle. Best to buy both together or uppers to rotate the pinion up.
Thanks for the info! I think adding the lower rears to the Flex kit is essentially doing the Max Travel kit. I didn't know if it was worth the extra money or not. I don't have plans to do the uppers or rear track bar for a while.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:01 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by riklite
Thanks for the info! I think adding the lower rears to the Flex kit is essentially doing the Max Travel kit. I didn't know if it was worth the extra money or not. I don't have plans to do the uppers or rear track bar for a while.
If you look at RK's instructions they are set stock or slightly under.
I dont think they are listed on the site, but You can also buy shorter uppers to use with the Max-t lowers and move the axle back .25-.5
Options are good lol
Old 01-26-2016, 08:59 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

If you plan to wheel a good bit, you're money might be better spent on an upgraded tie rod than rear arms if you don't have one already. that factory tie rod bends pretty easy and it's just sitting out there waiting to hit a rock.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:04 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

We are actually changing the max travel kits in 2016 and will sell them with the rear upper adjustable uppers. These uppers will work for this application and also with the X-factor (if you wish to upgrade in the future). This will allow you to adjust rear pinion and stretch in the future if needed.

Benefit of the rear lower is that they're strong and flex better than the factory. If you're doing a lot of crawling to banging your arms off rocks, they're a great upgrade. Because our krawler joints do not require bushing distortion for flex they will allow more free flowing travel (more than what a factory bushing will). So yes, you will see a benefit with going with the rear lower control arms.

However, if you're considering going flat fender in the future. We would suggest waiting and doing an x-factor rear arm upgrade at that time. Which pushes the rear axle back 1", re-centers the tire in the wheel well opening, and helps reduce or eliminate required trimming.

RK
Old 01-26-2016, 11:13 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
We are actually changing the max travel kits in 2016 and will sell them with the rear upper adjustable uppers. These uppers will work for this application and also with the X-factor (if you wish to upgrade in the future). This will allow you to adjust rear pinion and stretch in the future if needed. Benefit of the rear lower is that they're strong and flex better than the factory. If you're doing a lot of crawling to banging your arms off rocks, they're a great upgrade. Because our krawler joints do not require bushing distortion for flex they will allow more free flowing travel (more than what a factory bushing will). So yes, you will see a benefit with going with the rear lower control arms. However, if you're considering going flat fender in the future. We would suggest waiting and doing an x-factor rear arm upgrade at that time. Which pushes the rear axle back 1", re-centers the tire in the wheel well opening, and helps reduce or eliminate required trimming. RK
Good stuff
Old 01-27-2016, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
We are actually changing the max travel kits in 2016 and will sell them with the rear upper adjustable uppers. These uppers will work for this application and also with the X-factor (if you wish to upgrade in the future). This will allow you to adjust rear pinion and stretch in the future if needed.

Benefit of the rear lower is that they're strong and flex better than the factory. If you're doing a lot of crawling to banging your arms off rocks, they're a great upgrade. Because our krawler joints do not require bushing distortion for flex they will allow more free flowing travel (more than what a factory bushing will). So yes, you will see a benefit with going with the rear lower control arms.

However, if you're considering going flat fender in the future. We would suggest waiting and doing an x-factor rear arm upgrade at that time. Which pushes the rear axle back 1", re-centers the tire in the wheel well opening, and helps reduce or eliminate required trimming.

RK
Thanks for the reply! I will be doing flat fenders pretty soon but I don't think my budget will allow me to do the whole x-factor setup or a good while. I think I'll just try out my Flex system for a while and see how I like that. I like how this kit can be easily upgraded.

Quick Reply: RK 2.5" Flex System: Should I add rear lower control arms?