Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

River Raider Skid Wearing Away Edge Of Tranny Pan...

Old 07-15-2011, 03:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wildbille
Can you lower it by using a couple of washers where it mounts to the frame?
already have a couple washers underneath the the plate where it mounts to the crossmember - was getting a funky vibe through the frame and that seemed to take it down. It would take quite a few more to knock it down enough.

Originally Posted by CrazyCasey
curious what they say.... I think the steel is thick enough that it wont matter much. ill try to take a pic of my trims and post it up later
Talked again to River Raider again today, they said I was the only one to come across this problem. They're still suggesting to grind it down or try to hammer it out, but I did get them to potentially cut a bit of a better deal on one of their snorkels, so they're trying to do what they can.

I would suggest anyone having a similar issue definitely email them pics - I didn't believe I could be the only one with this issue. Glad I'm not going crazy...

Originally Posted by Mud Pie
I did see where mine was touching the pan in same area. Do not have that problem now. I heavily modified the trans skid to work with the FT cross member that came with my long arm kit. Project involved trimming about 1 1/2 inches off back end, then notching corner to clear factory brace on driver side. Also had to bend rear tab to make flush with FT cross brace. Finally I used a BFH to bend the bracket where the connecting bolt attaches the oil pan and trans pan skids.

(Actually TINMAN080 did most of the cutting, bending and welding. Thanks!)

Then I drilled two new holes at rear to attach to FT cross brace.

The FT cross brace is about 3" lower than the factory cross member, which moved my trans skid well away from the transmission oil pan. No more clearance issues.

A couple pictures show where I ground added clearance for the two lines. Probably could have taken more off though because lines are still very close to skid.
Thats some nice work man!
Old 07-15-2011, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looking at the skid plate pic, taking a 1/4" off the top close to the rub won't impact the integrity of the skid plate. It looks like you have about 3" of material there... I'd have the cutting wheel buzzing away and not thing 2x about it.

Cut it. Hit it with a flapper disc/grinding wheel to clean up the edges. Paint it. Forget about it.

Jeff
Old 07-15-2011, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiskyPirate

Talked again to River Raider again today, they said I was the only one to come across this problem. They're still suggesting to grind it down or try to hammer it out, but I did get them to potentially cut a bit of a better deal on one of their snorkels, so they're trying to do what they can.

I would suggest anyone having a similar issue definitely email them pics - I didn't believe I could be the only one with this issue. Glad I'm not going crazy...
Before I diagnosed my vibration issue as the transmission line tubes hitting the skid, I called RR and was told, and I quote, "You are the only one who has called with that problem".
Who knows...maybe I was at the time. It was more than a year ago.

If you look closely you can see a small line/indent in the pan just above the "R's".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0262.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	182337   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0230.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	182338  
Old 07-15-2011, 06:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Here are a couple pics of my trim job on the skid. As you can see I will be replacing my pan gasket again soon. 3rd time in 19k miles and yes I am running aftermarket driveshafts but some how the front still makes contact.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:46 PM
JK Super Freak

The app is not allowing me to up load pics. Ill try again later
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110715_194448.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	182340  
Old 07-15-2011, 09:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mud Pie
Before I diagnosed my vibration issue as the transmission line tubes hitting the skid, I called RR and was told, and I quote, "You are the only one who has called with that problem".
Who knows...maybe I was at the time. It was more than a year ago.

If you look closely you can see a small line/indent in the pan just above the "R's".
The trans lines are supposed to be outside the pan skid. I see yours are on the inside.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default 300

For 300 ding dongs I expect a bolt-on I don't have to grind to fit a stock vehicle. "I've never seen that before" makes the manufacturer sound like a bunch of tossers. It's a skid plate and shoulnt require extensive R&D.

Well that's one guys opinion anyway.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rmplstlskn
For 300 ding dongs I expect a bolt-on I don't have to grind to fit a stock vehicle. "I've never seen that before" makes the manufacturer sound like a bunch of tossers. It's a skid plate and shoulnt require extensive R&D.

Lol.... And very true as well. Oddly it seems like most folks have to trim or enlarge holes with skids. I wouldn't think it would be that hard either to get it right in CAD and keep it consistent!
Old 07-15-2011, 10:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rmplstlskn

I agree. I think their R&D amounted to driving it down a dirt road because with any major flex the pan meets the skid.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DTJK
The trans lines are supposed to be outside the pan skid. I see yours are on the inside.
The trans lines on my particular JK were bent and routed extremely close to the engine at the factory.
I don't recall seeing anything in the RR instructions at the time saying which side the trans lines were supposed to be on. Nor was there a bracket included with my RR skids that was to be used to relocate the lines to the outside of the skid.
Moving my trans lines away from the engine far enough to clear the skid would have been difficult and would have kinked or damaged them. And, as I said before, there was no relocation bracket in the kit for that purpose.

Was there a change made in the RR skid design sometime after I purchased mine?...Possibly.
Did Jeep make changes or allow variations at the factory regarding how they routed these trans lines during construction...I don't know. It's possible.

Quick Reply: River Raider Skid Wearing Away Edge Of Tranny Pan...