Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

River raider or evo skids?

Old 09-06-2013, 05:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have and love my EVO skids... But they too can be damaged and have a few vulnerable spots. On one of my fist outings with them I slipped off of a muddy rock and a rock hit the flat part of the cross-member skid. It was FAR from a hard hit, but none-the-less the skid was damaged to the point that a second hit in the same place would've resulted in exhaust damage.

I spoke to EVO about this and they felt the skid did its job. They offered to sell me a replacement at a discount but I declined. I didn't want another skid with the same weakness. In my opinion a skid needs to take more than one hit without damage. Instead I beat the skid back, clearanced at the exhaust that now rattled, and gusseted the weakness. I have taken several HARD hits in the same place and it is now holding up well.

Please don't take this wrong... I prefer, these skids and would buy them again. (In fact, I recommend them all the time to my local club members) However, I would fix the weakness before wheeling. BTW I wheel pretty hard with no lift so I smack the belly far more than I would like)

Here are some pictures of the damage, and my fix. I would love to see EVO incorporate this into their design as the added material is scrap on their sheet-cut anyway. It does add some difficulty when bending though.

damage

now for the fix

Quick Reply: River raider or evo skids?