Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

River raider or evo skids?

Old 09-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swaite3
I have the evo skid system and beside the fitment problem of the holes not lining up perfect for install on a brand new 12 jku I do like the finished product!
Please send me an email/pictures of the issue. I've never heard of a fitment issue on the 2012's.
Chris@evomfg.com
Old 09-24-2012, 04:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris
Thanks but now that I have it all bolted up not much to see/take pictures of. The two holes that go through the gas tank skid did not line up and had to be slotted (1/16") seems small but just enough where the bolts would not thread in. Also on the cross member the center bolt was also off by the 1/16 and needed to be ground out slightly. I actually ended up cross threading two bolts because the holes where still just hair off after I ground them out. I was too lazy/frustrated at that point so I just tightened them down like that figuring I would not be taking the skids off.
Like I said in the first post I am happy with the skids just more work than I had anticipated installing.
Steve
Old 10-05-2012, 04:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by swaite3
Chris
Thanks but now that I have it all bolted up not much to see/take pictures of. The two holes that go through the gas tank skid did not line up and had to be slotted (1/16") seems small but just enough where the bolts would not thread in. Also on the cross member the center bolt was also off by the 1/16 and needed to be ground out slightly. I actually ended up cross threading two bolts because the holes where still just hair off after I ground them out. I was too lazy/frustrated at that point so I just tightened them down like that figuring I would not be taking the skids off.
Like I said in the first post I am happy with the skids just more work than I had anticipated installing.
Steve
I will have to second Steve... I just installed on my 2012 (Manual) and the stout-ness of the product is awesome... but mine had too tight a tolerance on the Crossmember skid and the bolt holes just would not line up (Mostly on the Frame/Gas Skid Holes). a little hammering and prying helped but still was a tough going. The Oil and Trans skid went on just fine though.

-eddie
Old 10-05-2012, 04:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey

I will have to second Steve... I just installed on my 2012 (Manual) and the stout-ness of the product is awesome... but mine had too tight a tolerance on the Crossmember skid and the bolt holes just would not line up (Mostly on the Frame/Gas Skid Holes). a little hammering and prying helped but still was a tough going. The Oil and Trans skid went on just fine though.

-eddie
Same here on my 12 auto. I beat them pretty good with a mallet and cross threaded one bolt. Center bolt on cross member and the 2 through the gas tank skid were my problem too.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:09 PM
JK Freak

Evo just needs to have slightly bigger holes in the skids and maybe some flush mounting hardware and they would be perfect!
Old 10-05-2012, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

Mine has exhaust rattle. But thats 2011 6 speed. My mom's 2012 6 speed, went on perfect. No screwing around at all. Evo makes an awesome product. They are stout and fit nicely. Sux aboit the rattle in mine, but that's easy enough to fix..
Old 11-09-2012, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Finally installed most of my EVO skids last night. Most because there were 3 bolts and 6 washers in the box to attach the connector between the oil and trans pan. Emailed EVO about it last night. Great product. I think the oil pan skid is the heaviest part! We got lucky and didn't need to drain the oil. My gas tank skid is already pretty beat up, so it was hard to line up those holes, no fault of the new skids.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:33 PM
JK Newbie

Default River Raider reinforced t-case skid

Click image for larger version

Name:	river raider tcase skid2.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	495194

Just received my River Raider complete skid system for my 2011 Unlimited Sahara 4dr Jk and check this out, they reinforced their design (a lot). Got to love it, now to install
Old 09-05-2013, 06:48 PM
JK Junkie

the evo skid package was the very first thing i did before i ever took my jeep off road...

i don't have any pictures handy but it can tell a hundred stories from the dings and scratches but nothing has penetrated them!

matthew
Old 09-06-2013, 04:11 AM
JK Freak

I have the EVO skids on my 2011 JKUR. The only complaint is that the crossmember skid rattles on the exhaust where it crosses over in front of the crossmember.

Quick Reply: River raider or evo skids?