Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

River Raider Aluminum Skids?

Old 01-15-2011, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default River Raider Aluminum Skids?

Anyone using these? I'm drawn by the weight savings... Not sure how they'd hold up.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not too sure my wallet would hold up after all that cash fell into those skids.

Nice looking item though and lots of coverage, just pricey
Old 01-15-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Freak

My buddy has them...likes them. He has had to add some bushings and the fitment was a bit of a challenge but he's happy with them. I have their snorkel ....tough stuff.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I live in the NE.... Wouldn't have to worry about the aluminum rusting. Just seems like it wouldn't take the same amount of abuse as steel!?!
Old 01-16-2011, 03:08 AM
JK Freak

I have a full set of Rock Hard skids never noticed any change in performance after I installed them, but they are heavy. Dunno about the River Raider skids, but aluminum can brake where steel will bend.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rhino64
I have a full set of Rock Hard skids never noticed any change in performance after I installed them, but they are heavy. Dunno about the River Raider skids, but aluminum can brake where steel will bend.
That was my concern. I've seen a set of rock hards installed. The appear to be very HD. I like the way river raider incorporates a air tank storage spot in the evap skid. What tire/gear setup are you running?
Old 01-16-2011, 04:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Don't know about aluminum, but I am running their steel full belly system. For the 2dr it weighs in at just under 140lbs. Granted I only have 33's and am not running a crazy rig like some of the other guys here do, but to me its insurance that is absolutely worth the price and added weight. If I can't make it over something, at worst case, I can be dragged over it without having to worry to much.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rhino64
I'm not as much concerned about a puncture in the surface as I am about broken welds.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:13 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mookie
That was my concern. I've seen a set of rock hards installed. The appear to be very HD. I like the way river raider incorporates a air tank storage spot in the evap skid. What tire/gear setup are you running?
At the moment every-things stock due to warranty issues. Tires 32's with 373 gears. Took my 2" lift off about 2 years ago and 33" tires and returned it to stock. Thats the reason I fully armored the under side. Other than the look no regrets. It goes just about anywhere I point it, if I can't drive over it I winch through it.

Quick Reply: River Raider Aluminum Skids?