Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ripp is it worth it ?

Old 12-04-2014, 12:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ripp is it worth it ?

Any body has the ripp supercharger is it worth ?
Old 12-04-2014, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this: ---> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...rchase-309935/
Old 12-04-2014, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 11JK_Lazo
You will NEVER get the right answer on this one bro! If you have the money to do the swap, do it. If your like me and can't afford the $25,000 to swap, go with the RIPP. I sent a PM to RIPP the other day and he made me feel better with going with the SC. I'm gonna add the headers with it and feel I will have all I need. I have read and posted in other threads looking for help and got the samething you will read in the link the previous poster did...some say yes, some say go with the swap. Your choice my friend! Good luck in your decision!
Old 02-19-2015, 03:42 AM
JK Newbie

Default I think it is worth it...

Originally Posted by CajunTiger
You will NEVER get the right answer on this one bro! If you have the money to do the swap, do it. If your like me and can't afford the $25,000 to swap, go with the RIPP. I sent a PM to RIPP the other day and he made me feel better with going with the SC. I'm gonna add the headers with it and feel I will have all I need. I have read and posted in other threads looking for help and got the same thing you will read in the link the previous poster did...some say yes, some say go with the swap. Your choice my friend! Good luck in your decision!
If you check out my jeep specs, I've done quite a bit to mine, though the same reason as you described I couldn't afford the 25K for a Hemi or even a diesel swap (which would have been awesome). The RIPP SC kit is absolutely worth it. I've increased mpg, torque, horsepower, and it runs like a champ. Though with that being said, the install is pretty straight forward. The install manual has detailed pictures and is very easy to follow. It took me a good weekend to get everything installed, then again it was my only vehicle at the time, so if i needed some extra parts, like header gaskets I had to wait for a ride to the local shop.

Either way It is absolutely worth it! I would contact RIPP which has been an excellent source of information and response to questions I've had with my install and especially my Intune custom tune. RIPP if i'm not mistaken recommends regearing prior to the SC kit install to pull the most out of the SC and ensure the continued functionality of the drive-line. I have not regeared, though regearing and stage 2.5 clutch is next in line.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:58 AM
EVD
JK Newbie

In my opinion YES. That said, my Jeep is currently in Vegas with Motech for an LS swap.

I bought the RIPP SC after my first drive with the Jeep through the CO mountains. On top of an improvement in acceleration, it gave me around another 10mph top speed going over the passes and typically one gear higher (dropping to 3rd instead of 2nd to keep up speed). You can get a new one for 5-5.5K and sell it used for 3-3.5K. Or start with a used one. You can install the RIPP yourself in 7-12 hours with basic tools. And you can always pull it off yourself as well. The service and support from RIPP was top notch.

If you plan to have the Jeep for awhile and can swing a V8 swap that is ideal. I feel the RIPP fills a niche between the stock 3.8 and a V8. Can't speak to the new 3.6L. I have a 2011 JKU 6-speed on 35's. The RIPP SC took my Jeep from being a pain in the ass to drive around the mountains to being much more tolerable. Our other car is a Suburban and ultimately I wanted that level of power and performance in my Jeep.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ive SC'd previous vehicles before, never on a Jeep... I always go with a kit that has intercoolers. If they are designed conservatively they are worth it and the best bang for the buck as far as power mods are concerned. GL
Old 02-19-2015, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 11JK_Lazo
very loaded question and ultimately boils down to your price point. personally, i do not think its worth it. the cost for the kit and the install and tweaks after gets you considerably close to the cost of an LS (used) swap.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:03 AM
JK Super Freak

My kit cost me $2500 and it was definitely worth it. But I am running one tons with big meats and the 3.8 just wasn't cutting it. So I definitely needed something. Futhermore, I was too damn cheap to by a new engine when my engines works just fine... now that is.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

The Ripp kit on my 07 works great off road, all the power you could need. On road it is good, sometimes when shifting at high rpm is studders. Much better since I got the CARB tune.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:41 AM
JK Freak

See what I mean? Some say yes and some say the V-8 swap is the way to go. It's all about what you can afford. If I won the powerball, I would do a swap and not have to worry about the ware & tare on the 3.8 SC engine but I can't! So I will have the power to do what I want with the RIPP SC and baby my motor when I don't need it. Then when my 3.8 takes a dump I might just have the money for a swap. Peace!

Quick Reply: Ripp is it worth it ?