Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RIPP Supercharger Real World Owner Experience

Old 01-17-2010, 11:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a ripp charger on my 2009 4dr jk and i love it. The mpg going down is from getting on it all the time my setup is running 14 to 16 miles city 18 to 20 hwy if you feel you gas went down you have to realize what youve done to the truck tires gears bumpers and a lift anded more waight to the truck if you have you boost gage in you should be able to see how you drive you truck and how much u get on it but u kinda have to to move all that waight
Old 01-18-2010, 12:36 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks Ramfublio i will be interested to see how it works out for you & yes i got use to the noise as well after some time. Joed9446thanks for your input however it has nothing to do with the weight as i havent changed anything other than adding the s/c & it has nothing to do with the way i drive as i drive it the same as before & on the highway its on cruise control just like before. I didnt get 18-20 with it stock & got 16.5 best on the highway on cruise before the s/c & was happy with that for what it is. Now i get 12.5 last trip i went on. This weekend it was getting 12.8-14 around town & if i hop on the highway to get across town my mpg goes down to 12.5. Very dissappointing.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:49 PM
JK Freak

That has got to be a tuning thing. Mine always goes up on the highway. You should be able to get into overdrive and stay there on the highway. Even on a trail I still get 11-12.

Different thought: You sure you don't have a vacuum tube on the back of the RIPP disconnected or something? We were wheeling this past weekend and Ramfublio's tube came off.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:59 PM
JK Freak

Ramfublio has my RIPP now, in case you were wondering.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

No i have checked everything & Ross from RIPP worked with the local shop to run it on the dyno. This did help the power as it was down about 35 hp. Strangely this did nothing to change the mileage which is why i was asking for other users #s & why i contacted RIPP again last week but have never been called back by them with any more info.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:23 PM
JK Freak

You are running high octane gas and maybe even octane enhancer? That helps too. But still your's see strangely low.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had mine installed two weeks ago. Had one instance of the dreaded Red Lighting Bolt, but just shut it down and restarted. Sort of like rebooting a PC. Love the power on the Interstates and hills. I havent gotten a calculation on the mileage yet, I am still getting on it too often. The whine or whistle is going to take some adjustment, but its starting to happen gradually. Passing on hills is no longer an adventure of timing, momentum, and praying. The RIPP was installed by ORI in Winchester VA, go guys. I probably will take it to RIPP later during the spring for a dyno tune.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:07 AM
JK Freak

I installed my RIPP last fall and it makes all the difference. Ever since then, i cant keep my foot out of it. Its great. I drive an auto tranny and that red lightning bolt seems to come on more often. Is there a certain tune I can do to get rid of that. I really feel the charger being regulated and right when it starts to get it, that freaking bolt comes on. Has anyone bought or downloaded any tunes that help this. Please let me know. I live in Indiana so i cant just drive to ripp and get it done.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i also have the ripp supercharger and auto... ive never had the red lighting bolt come on even once... you should contact them and see what they could do to help you out... i just talked to them today.. very friendly. yeah that would be anoying to have that come on and the wrong times.. good luck
Old 03-12-2010, 11:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

LOVE these technical threads!!!!!!!!! WOW! Very interesting.

No one should ever expect MPG gains unless they change gears, lighten the vehicle, or increase compression ratios, or get the vehicle to consume less fuel. Other than compression ratios, if you're getting more power it's because you're getting more air to burn more fuel. Unless your vehicle's horrible in need of a tune up.

Quick Reply: RIPP Supercharger Real World Owner Experience