Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RIPP Supercharger Real World Owner Experience

Old 01-13-2010, 06:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jchmelojk
i have been thinking about a sc kit for a while now... my thing is my jk is a DD and rarely sees the trail is a sc kit good for a DD? and do you need to run a higher gas?
A superchargerd JK for a DD would be just fine. Actually better on street because you can use the power it produces.
IMO... After doing a lot of research on ripp I have decided not to go with it. For a number of reasons.

1st I do not like the idea of a open bypass valve. Water will enter the engine. In a deep water crossing. And SC's doesn't have a bov. It's a bypass valve. Works totally different then a bov so quit calling it that.
2nd. No intercooler
3rd. I do not like the way they use water/meth injection to make up for fuel. Becau
Old 01-13-2010, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jchmelojk
i have been thinking about a sc kit for a while now... my thing is my jk is a DD and rarely sees the trail is a sc kit good for a DD? and do you need to run a higher gas?
A superchargerd JK for a DD would be just fine. Actually better on street because you can use the power it produces.
IMO... After doing a lot of research on ripp I have decided not to go with it. For a number of reasons. 1st I do not like the idea of a open bypass valve. Water will enter the engine. In a deep water crossing. And SC's doesn't have a bov. It's a bypass valve. Works totally different then a bov so quit calling it that..2nd. No intercooler
3rd. I do not like the way they use water/meth injection to make up for fuel. Because you are still using stock fuel system. No aux fuel pump nothing to aid in fuel deliverly besides deicer washer fluid which I can't believe they endorse it.lol.
4th no knock control. Have to depend on the factory ecu.
5th. Way too much $$ for 100 whp.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:17 AM
JK Newbie

my bad on the double post using damn cell phone again...
take a look in my gallery. I have a pic of my old 600whp 350z. She's sexy and I miss her everytime I see one.

Last edited by frankie945; 01-13-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I thought the ripp could hook up to a river raider snorkel. I dont know exactly how waterproof the ripp systems is. Once again this calls for real world experience with the system. For the hardcore wheeler, I could def see a problem if this is the case but then again Im only an expert on miller high life fueled engines
Old 01-13-2010, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Doninator
I thought the ripp could hook up to a river raider snorkel. I dont know exactly how waterproof the ripp systems is. Once again this calls for real world experience with the system. For the hardcore wheeler, I could def see a problem if this is the case but then again Im only an expert on miller high life fueled engines
that is clamied. But when I asked ripp in a previous post in another thread. They said something could be made so it recirclelates back to intake. I have to see on to believe it. Witch so far. Have never seen a pic with ripp and a snorkle system.

I know this thread is about real life feedback. But most guys and gals on this fourm know nothing about FI. So I figured I would shed so light on the subject.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am by no means takin a shot at you. You may very well be right. It would be great to get a visual of the "snorkel water proof" set up with this
Old 01-13-2010, 07:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by frankie945
IMO... After doing a lot of research on ripp I have decided not to go with it. For a number of reasons.

1st I do not like the idea of a open bypass valve. Water will enter the engine. In a deep water crossing. And SC's doesn't have a bov. It's a bypass valve. Works totally different then a bov so quit calling it that.
2nd. No intercooler
3rd. I do not like the way they use water/meth injection to make up for fuel. Becau
I haven't had any trouble with mine in shallow water crossings...

As far as giving a real world experience, I could go on all day about the good, the bad and the ugly. If you look back at my earlier posts, I was not a fan for the first 6 months. But one year and 10k miles later, I'm pretty happy with it. Just don't buy it to save money on fuel. I get less than 10 mpg and I have to run 93 octane. I think they advertise better fuel economy so your wife will let you buy it.

As I've said about 20 times in earlier posts, if you're interested in purchasing a RIPP, drive one before you buy it.

Give it some time outside316, I bet it will grow on you eventually. Have you had to take the Ripp belt off yet and drive around with the stock one for a while?

Last edited by JoeBlob; 01-13-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:53 AM
JK Newbie

for one the v3 vortech charger can not be placed underwater. I don't care if the bypass valve is totaly sealed going back to intake. Vortech does not make a waterproof compressor housing.

I'm not flaming ripp at all. But there system needs to be different in my eyes.

Say if you buy a vortech V3 kit for a Z. The kit includes a aux fuel pump for more delivery. Which is a must with a SC they require even more fuel then a turbo set up.

I wish the JK had the flex fuel system so we could run E85 with the ripp system. It would require more fuel. But you can addvance the timming. And get mad power with out the use of meth. It would be one badass corn fed JK.

Last edited by frankie945; 01-13-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JoeBlob
I haven't had any trouble with mine in shallow water crossings...

As far as giving a real world experience, I could go on all day about the good, the bad and the ugly. If you look back at my earlier posts, I was not a fan for the first 6 months. But one year and 10k miles later, I'm pretty happy with it. Just don't buy it to save money on fuel. I get less than 10 mpg and I have to run 93 octane. I think they advertise better fuel economy so your wife will let you buy it.

As I've said about 20 times in earlier posts, if you're interested in purchasing a RIPP, drive one before you buy it.

Give it some time outside316, I bet it will grow on you eventually. Have you had to take the Ripp belt off yet and drive around with the stock one for a while?
Have you ever noticed belt slip after one of the shallow water crossings?
Old 01-13-2010, 08:58 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some of you must not have understood the OP's request. Pull up some of the other supercharger threads if you don't have a Ripp or you want to just make a comment about what you THINK is. This thread has mostly ended up in a why I don't like this, or a theory, or a better one or I think this. For some of the peeps on here being so technically savy, they can't understand a simple request.

Quick Reply: RIPP Supercharger Real World Owner Experience