Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RIPP Supercharger Real World Owner Experience

Old 01-12-2010, 05:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you know that actually makes complete since..
Old 01-12-2010, 06:55 AM
JK Freak

I had a Ripp for the past year. I've got 5.13's. I ran 35" tires for a good portion of the year. My mileage was typically 15-18MPG street. I got about 12 on the trail. When I switched to 37" tires I got a decrease of a couple MPG. When I ran 33" I got closer to 20MPG (4.10 gears).

Living in CO I run through the mountains all the time. The RIPP made the difference of whether I could travel at hiway speeds or not.

I am swapping my engine for a 5.7 hemi (should be ready Friday). The RIPP is going into one of my friends JK. If it wasn't going in his, it would go into my wifes JK. It is a good product. Huge difference in driving on the hiway. On the trails it matters too--particularly on really steep hills running bigger tires.

When the RIPP was first installed, it took a while to get the settings right. I think the high altitude created a hassle.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

does anyone have any dyno's of the avenger kit?? could def explain a lot in comparison
Old 01-12-2010, 02:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Directly from Jack himself at Avenger

"Our kits targeted boost is 4.5-5.5 pounds of boost.The boost is controlled by a internal by-pass valve.When engine vacumn is high the boost is recirculated at the back of the blower,as you get into the throttle and vacumn drops then the boost goes to the enginemso the engine is not under constant boost only as needed.We use a eaton M90 blower that sits on top of a air to water intercooler that is a stand alone system.We use a unichip piggyback system that controls fuel and timing,the piggyback unit that uses a 2 bar map sensor as the lead sensor to make adjustments to the engine.The dyno shop closed its doors and do not currently have hard copies of the dyno results.The dyno that we used was a inertia loading dyno the Jeep was a 2007 Jk 4 dr with 37" Bfg Ktm with 5:13 gears.

We had a peak increase of 82 Hp with close to a 50% increase of torque across most of the operating range of the engine.We are currently redoing our web site and will be doing dyno work again in last part of Nov.With the two test Jeeps we have about 38,000 accumalated miles.Carb certification depending on the economy we hope to have done by this spring as it is a expensive process(we were the first to certify and are currently certified thru 2001)The dyno runs we will be doing does include a 6 speed.Any other please call or e mail. "

Now once again I'm not going to be easy on Avenger. The two numbers that he listed in his response to me do not match up scientifically speaking. Reason I say this is that atmospheric pressure is roughly 14.7 PSI at sea level (give or take). Therefore assuming a targeted boost of 5 PSI he listed, between the small thermodynamic boost and increase of absolute pressure in the intake (thus air charge density) from 14.7 to 19.7 PSI, the likely boost in torque would be approximately 40% instead of 50%. So the two possibilities is that his targeted boost pressure on his dyno run he cites was slightly higher (you would need closer to 7 PSI to get a true 50% increase in torque) or 50% was meant to be 40%. But with that said if I had to buy a supercharger (or had the money to do so) right now I would go Avenger with the current offerings just due to the power delivery that would keep from needing to downshift to pass on the highway. Knowing everything I do about engines, 9 PSI boost and 5500 RPMs scares the sh!t out of me and gives me visions of rods blasing through the hood or oil pan Plus Looking at the power curves having the Avenger kit would literally result in the 3.8 having VERY similar performance to the 4.7 H.O. offered in the WJs which would be a perfect engine for the JK in my opinion.

By the way just for everyone to have all the info I have to make their own educated decision I have attached the dyno sheets I have from Ripp. The first two are a 6-speed and the third is a comparison of an auto. The thing to notice is with the 6-speed read what the torque (the flatter of the two curves) is at 2000 RPM (highway engine speed). At most it looks like a 5 - 10 lb-ft (out of 200 lb-ft) boost. Just make sure to read the engine speeds at the bottom as the bold lines indicate different engine speeds on different graphs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	stock.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	35360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ripp SC.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	35361   Click image for larger version

Name:	auto comparison.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	35365  

Last edited by tpm152; 01-12-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:17 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tpm152, if you don't have a Ripp and don't have an Avenger, why do you care? The op was looking for real world experiences with the Ripp, not a who's better, Ripp/ Avenger thread. And not a Jack said this or a Ripp rep said this and that, but actual feeback from Ripp owners.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tpm152
...Meanwhile Jack at Avenger actually took my perspective into account and valued my input on his kit design.
lol This statement reminds me of the new Windows 7 commercials where the people think they helped design it.

Originally Posted by tpm152
...And personally when I look at getting the "full package" I look at the company that is willing to take criticism from an expert about their kits and not just try to discredit them to not need to change their kit to better suit the market.
You clearly know more about boost than I will ever know, but could you tell everyone what makes you an expert? I'm not doubting, but I'm interested in your background on the subject.

And you mentioned using a smaller pulley and blow off valve, etc with the RIPP kit, which both should be really easy swaps I wonder if anyone has done this yet?

I can't remember if they mentioned it in a thread, but I know RIPP is working on a stage two for their SC kit, and I'm wondering if it involves the pulley or BOV. I hope to find out more about that very soon.

And to the person who asked about Avenger Dyno sheets, as far as I know I don't think any have been released. If I recall the Avenger kit was talked about even before the RIPP kit and yet it's still not really to market. I suppose you can look at that as they're really testing the hell out of it or they've had lots of problems with it, depending on if you're a glass half full or half empty kind of person.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkjeep
tpm152, if you don't have a Ripp and don't have an Avenger, why do you care? The op was looking for real world experiences with the Ripp, not a who's better, Ripp/ Avenger thread. And not a Jack said this or a Ripp rep said this and that, but actual feeback from Ripp owners.
My only real reason for involvement is because the thought of a SC on my JK is very appealing to me but I am not satisfied with the current offerings out there in the market. That plus I have a fairly in-depth knowledge in engine building that many other Jeep builders do not so I figure why not do what I can to nudge the market in the right direction.

Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1
You clearly know more about boost than I will ever know, but could you tell everyone what makes you an expert? I'm not doubting, but I'm interested in your background on the subject.

And you mentioned using a smaller pulley and blow off valve, etc with the RIPP kit, which both should be really easy swaps I wonder if anyone has done this yet?

I can't remember if they mentioned it in a thread, but I know RIPP is working on a stage two for their SC kit, and I'm wondering if it involves the pulley or BOV. I hope to find out more about that very soon.

And to the person who asked about Avenger Dyno sheets, as far as I know I don't think any have been released. If I recall the Avenger kit was talked about even before the RIPP kit and yet it's still not really to market. I suppose you can look at that as they're really testing the hell out of it or they've had lots of problems with it, depending on if you're a glass half full or half empty kind of person.
No prob, I just usually don't say things I've done because I don't want to be "one of those guys" on the forum that acts like an a$$hole know-it-all just because I have a pretty keen interest and knowledge in some subjects. But to answer your question I've built a few prototype research vehicles (mostly geared toward efficiency) from literally the ground up (sponsored by DOE, GM, and all those organizations). To do that the most efficient engines to start with are turbo diesels. In addition I have done extensive engine and fuels research (got the grad degrees to prove it too) as well as I have worked in the GM powertrain development group on the LMK project (see the 4.5L narrow-angle V-8 turbo diesel due to be released by GM at some point in the near future when they get their crap straight). Luckily I came back to school just before GM crapped the bed and have been doing more research at PSU since then.

I have heard of the stage 2 for the Ripp kit but I wasn't terribly happy with the prospects. Mostly because they listed things like headers and other little mods like that as their additions for stage 2 and their way of solving the low-end torque problem with their system.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:15 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump for real world experience Ripp owners.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:23 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks LeftHandRubi for the input, i was on the phone with RIPP again yesterday & they are as confused as i on the lack of mileage etc as from yours & others input & the manufacturer themselves mine is quite low. And thank you to the others that turned my simple request for "real world experience" into a pissing contest on who has more technical background on superchargers, especially the brand/style that i dont have & is not in question.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have been thinking about a sc kit for a while now... my thing is my jk is a DD and rarely sees the trail is a sc kit good for a DD? and do you need to run a higher gas?

Quick Reply: RIPP Supercharger Real World Owner Experience